Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift/Xootr pivot point disassembly

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 04:38 PM
johnfhess

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HIya,

I have a Xootr and borrowed a suitcase for travel. Unfortunately, the suitcase is just a little bit too small. Looking at the problem, it seems like the combination of the fork and top tube is too long in different directions. I'm thinking about pulling the fork, but that gets into more disassembly than I want to do for travel, plus then I need to carry a big wrench to tighten the headset. I also thought about separating the rear triangle from the top tube by undoing the pivot bolt. But I don't think that will help.

Just for kicks, anyone remove the pivot bolt? Is it easy? Once removed, everything goes back togther in a straighforward fashion?

I'm also going to go ss (52x15), removing the derailer seems like a hassle for travel. I'll be ordering parts from Harris cyclery (thanks Sheldon).

happy trails,
Old 04-21-06, 01:18 PM
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnfhess
HIya,

I have a Xootr and borrowed a suitcase for travel. Unfortunately, the suitcase is just a little bit too small. Looking at the problem, it seems like the combination of the fork and top tube is too long in different directions. I'm thinking about pulling the fork, but that gets into more disassembly than I want to do for travel, plus then I need to carry a big wrench to tighten the headset. I also thought about separating the rear triangle from the top tube by undoing the pivot bolt. But I don't think that will help.

Just for kicks, anyone remove the pivot bolt? Is it easy? Once removed, everything goes back togther in a straighforward fashion?

I'm also going to go ss (52x15), removing the derailer seems like a hassle for travel. I'll be ordering parts from Harris cyclery (thanks Sheldon).

happy trails,
I haven't removed the bolt, but rather, tightened it. You need a really thin-walled socket to fit the pivot axle hole to hold the nut while tightening/loosening the hex on the other end. I just used a small drill bit to jam the nut stationary while turning the hex. I'd imagine you could do the same to remove the assembly. You can always email Xootr for more details.
Old 06-02-08, 11:42 AM
xootr swift
Green Party Member gp.org

Bikes: https://www.brompton.co.uk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Xootr Splits

One of the main reasons I bought a Swift is because the frame splits in two, for those rare times I suitcase it for flying. I use a 10mm 1/4 drive thin walled Craftsman socket that I picked up at Sears to use on the nut side. I keep extra 10mm lock nuts handy for bolting it back together. I also added a few washers to the nut side to make the nut even more accessable. Take your time the first time you unwind the nut, as you're undoing (using up) a lock nut. If the nuts corners (strip) round, it is difficult to extract... hence the washers thereafter. Leave enough thread so that the lock nut grabs when tightened, but with easier nut-toward-the-outside take off access, for the next time. I use a new lock-nut each time (hardware store item).

With the frame split, wheels off and fork out, the bike as parts fits in a very small case. I've added a Cane Creek aheadset 1-1/8 non-threaded with sealed berrings and a suspension fork. It has a one hex release in the center star nut (as on most mountain bikes) so my fork also pops out and reassembles quickly. Q/R the riser, de-hex the star nut cap and out it comes.

I put the longish factory Sram rear derailleur/shifter on a friend's bike, and added a shorty Sram X.O in it's place, no new pictures yet. I haven't caught any rocks or plants with the shorty offroad, and shifts are even quicker. The longer derailleur used to bend the hanger sometimes, on the trails, and everytime I quick fold soft-bagged for air travel. I also carry an extra derailleur hanger in case it breaks beyond bending back, somewhere in far away lands (Xootr has them in stock as well as extra pivot bolts).

I use a Sram 990 11-34 cog set with a 3x dual drive internal hub (for 27 gears total). The 22-127 ish GI range gets me up the mountains and zipping along the flats. I use the whole range especially on longer rides or touring, where the terrain varies and fatigue catches up. With the new shorter derailleur, and the way the xoot all compactly packs into a case, I don't have to worry about derailleur removal anymore. As I have only one bike, and no car, I need the range this gives.

More info at https://www.myspace.com/xootrswift

Last edited by xootr swift; 02-08-09 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-02-08, 01:12 PM
itsmoot
in cog neato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xootr_swift:

I saw your blog a few months ago when searching for solutions to problems I faced adding front suspension to a Swift. After reading it I ordered a J-stem riser and its been on order for awhile now. I just talked to the supplier and it seems they're having trouble getting parts from Airminal so I may not be able to go that route.

Did you find or consider any other options besides the J-stem riser? The only thing I can think of is having a 1" tube brazed inside the 1 1/8" steerer of my suspension fork and then using the Swift's stock riser. I also thought of an admittedly clumsy workaround, a tall 1 1/8" adjustable-angle quill stem I saw on eBay. But besides looking really ugly, it probably wouldn't be safe considering the thin the walls of this suspension forks (threadless) steerer tube.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Edit: I just noticed after submitting my reply that this thread is over two years old...
Old 06-02-08, 03:09 PM
doco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for suspension, have you considered a Pantour suspension hub?

maybe that might work for you

https://www.pantourhub.com/
welcome to the Pantour suspension hub

I plan on adding one to my swift later on
Old 06-02-08, 05:29 PM
xootr swift

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1-1/8 stem riser

itsmoot:

At first I looked for a 1" riser 20" wheel suspension fork so that the riser question wouldn't be a problem, but didn't find one in my price range. It sounds like you have a 1 1/8 fork already.

I had also thought to use a Bacchetta Riser Clamp to lock the fork in place, and then getting a long quill stem to fit inside the fork tube. But I didn't like how that worked or looked on paper and went with what I have.

https://www.calhouncycle.com/productc...&idproduct=850

Well it looks like https://www.calhouncycle.com/productc...&idcategory=39 the J-stem riser (pictured) is backordered for the moment. Unfortunately, I haven't found them elseware. You might send Airnimal a line to see if they have one to ship to you directly. info@airnimalfoldingbikes.com This Airnimal riser also has spacers and sleeves to make it work and so the riser can Q/R and the fork stays locked in place to the aheadset.

Another option is to look for a quill to aheadset adaptor like below but quill for a 1-1/8 fork and a 1" riser aheadset stem. Then the factory Swift riser would slide right on. You'd still need a clamp of some kind to hold the fork in place, as I'm guessing the factory riser wouldn't do it alone.

Otherwise, I guess you'll have to wait on the backorders to come in.

Last edited by xootr swift; 06-02-08 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 03:58 PM
itsmoot
in cog neato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info xootr_swift. I do already have the fork, although I considered one with a 1" steerer. But when I researched the idea, seems the only way to do it is to use adapter bearing cups. Well I read some negative comments about those, also I don't want to remove the stock cups because I'll be swapping back and forth between the original fork and the suspension one. The suspension fork is slated for a couple of tours I'm planning this fall.

A threaded steerer would have been the way to go, but I didn't have any luck finding a 20" suspension fork with 1 1/8" threaded steerer.

When I bought the 1 1/8" fork I'd originally planned on using a 1 1/8" quill to 1" threadless adapter like you mentioned, then couldn't find any. Was such a beast ever made? I'd still go that route if I could find one.

Otherwise, guess I'll wait for Calhoun to get the J-stem risers. I called them and they said they should have them in three weeks. Any longer than that and I'll use that email address you posted to ask Airnimal whats up.

And Doco, you suggest a Pantour hub. I've heard mixed reviews on those. Problems with early models, poor customer support, etc. Seems like a neat idea but still in beta test.

Last edited by itsmoot; 06-03-08 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 05:20 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Reopening old thread so that relevant info is in one location.
Mods: feel free to make this a separate thread.

Some questions on the pivot bolt.

1. Is the diameter 10mm?
2. How long is the pivot bolt?
3. What are the thread specs?
4. Can someone post a photo of the pivot bolt?
5. When the bike is unfolded and in use, what type of load does the pivot bolt bear?

Thanks
Old 06-30-19, 01:10 PM
xootr swift

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
Reopening old thread so that relevant info is in one location.

Some questions on the pivot bolt...

Thanks
I do seem to remember 10mm. As I think back, I seem to remember ordering a spare bolt from Xootr directly. Has yours broken or run off? I remember taking mine out the first time was unnerving, but it did come out and I reused it. I don’t think I ever used the spare.

I weighed 200-210 and often had a 40lb pack when I traveled, but I’m sure the load could be much more with the triangulated corner and the seatpost double-wall reenforcement.

If your bolt is stripped or missing I’m sure you can find a hardened one online or at a good ‘bolt bins’ hardware store.

I took the bolt bolt out the first time so I could strip all the paint off and polish the frame. I’ll see if I can find some old pictures.

I gave my Xootr to my stepson, in 2007 who sold it for college fees, and I had 603 days doing Elder/hospice care for my folks and wasn’t riding.
Just before I left Paris for California to take care of the folks, I was at a bike shop and a woman rolled up in what turned out to be a Brompton.

Then while waiting for the Cal Train to San Francisco a guy came off the train with a little pile of tubes and then zip, boom, unfold, Brompton again, with a click at the end for an integrated front luggage bag. Long story short, next bike a highly modified Brompton.

The Xootr is awesome for mods and high speed racing or trail riding. There are days I miss it but I’m glad my kid got some school time in exchange.

Ill see see if I can find some pictures.
Old 06-30-19, 01:34 PM
xootr swift

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

At is was in Nîmes France with pull back bars and a front suspension fork, and a Rotor crankset.
When I took it trail riding in the Alps the brakes weren't up to the task, so I went on a disc hunt.
Likes For xootr swift:
Old 06-30-19, 01:44 PM
xootr swift

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Final. Completely polished frameset; so much work. An alloy front fork from a BMX line w/disc brake. I can't find any parts detail pictures, and nothing of the bolt. This sucker hauled on the street. I passed a peloton of spandexies on road bikes once, and they couldn't catch me.
Likes For xootr swift:
Old 07-01-19, 09:39 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Lovely polished alu job on that Swift. Did you weigh the bike before and after? I wonder how many grams the paint adds?
Old 07-01-19, 12:27 PM
xootr swift

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Lovely polished alu job on that Swift. Did you weigh the bike before and after? I wonder how many grams the paint adds?
I had some nicks in the paint, and I thought I’d never had a raw metal bike. I haven’t weighed a bicycle before.

I do like my Brompton better weight wise but mainly for its compactness. The Xootr, plus the pack with everything I own, was tiring and bulky when travelling the world, hopping trains, going to the market, the movies or restaurants and I had to lock it up somewhere unattended, even on short trips. The travel bag for the Xootr was not small or very compatible.

The Brompton gets smaller quickly and has a very compact quick cover for a hop on to a bus or a ferry or anywhere inside; the bike becomes a small bit of luggage, no bike fees. Also Brompton sells a carry-on size bag that is made to clips on the bike so I can use a smaller Camelbak pack, without loosing total carrying capacity. At the market the Brompton, with the carry-on size clip-on bag, quickly becomes a shopping cart, so it’s always with me no need to lock the bike up unattended.

A bit off topic from the weight question, but I’m usually carrying loads so the bike’s weight, a few grams or pounds more, aren’t really noticed.

The Xootr though is great as I used it on downhill trails like a BMX and as a zippy road bike.

Last edited by xootr swift; 07-01-19 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-10-19, 04:36 AM
robsta

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last time I was in Australia I made a little video about how I pack my Xootr swift.
The video shows how the pivot bolt is removed.
Will search out the dimensions you were asking for tomorrow.
Cheers