Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Instead of paying $400 for a Montague airliner case

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 06-11-11, 06:37 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

Which is insanely overpriced as I see it. Could you fit say, a montague boston 8 in a regular piece of luggage found on ebags.com?
Old 06-11-11, 07:50 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Most 'regular luggage' is designed to comply with the usual airline restriction of bag size to the sum of H + L + W being less than or equal to 62". The Montague case is much larger than that (34 x 27 x 15) with a sum of 76".
Old 06-11-11, 03:41 PM
robsta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The main issue appears to be with those big wheels. I would not say it is impossible but I would imagine it would be very hard to fit a bike with 700c wheels in the `airline legal` sized bag.
I travel with a bike with 20` inch which is ok, I used to use a bike with 24` wheels that was a struggle but I could manage.
I`m using the swift for a trip next week. I will try and make a you tube thing of how it is packed in a suitcase. If I have time (ha) I`ll try and include how a paratrooper with 24` wheels can be packed.
All the best
Rob
Old 06-12-11, 03:03 AM
jefmcg

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem is, most regular luggage has a rectangular profile, and most folding bikes package close to a square. So if you buy the bag designed for the bike, it's going to be a square. If you find a normal suitcase it's going to be a rectangle with the shorter side the length of the square: ie much bigger.

Still, I agree 50% of the cost of the bike is a lot for a case
Old 06-12-11, 03:09 AM
JimBeans83

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jefmcg hits it on the head, almost impossible to find a square suitcase that's in the normal $100 range for a decent suitcase (samsonite or delsey), and the suitcase must be square to be in the neighborhood of airline regulations (62" -> 26x26x10'ish). And its a pain getting 26" wheels into that size, as you've gotta remove tires oftentimes.

If you find something in your search, post. Someone a while back made the dare of discovering that a delsey axiom 31 would fit a brompton with no disassembly, and that's similarly a big savings over the specialty bags made for it.
Old 06-12-11, 04:11 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just a thought, if your traveling with your bike for a short vacation, you can probably rent one for a week or 2 in your destination city, just make sure you bring your pedals and shoes with.