Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-16, 08:41 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
going to switch to v-brakes on my cross bike. anyone have experience with the Paul minimotos? worth the premium over TRP 8.4s? I'm sure the TRP are great, but the hipster in me wants to pony up for the Pauls.
Old 01-09-16, 05:50 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Dutch Jazz
Hey @Doge, some while a go you mentioned having bought the BePro powermeter. Would you care to do a little write up of your experiences so far? I think your critical and well-informed views could provide me with some additional insights on whether or not they are a good option for me. I'm interested in a pedal-based powermeter because I'm planning on a completely new bike at the end of the year.
A little more on the bePro from my interview with Kal - coach.
At lower (<200) they don't seem to give very accurate results and if you pedal very smoothly they may not as easily but he said at 300W they seem pretty accurate. He says when he stomps they give pretty accurate numbers.

To do - this week (he's been sick), is run Power Tap as the rear and compare to the pedals.
Old 01-09-16, 09:38 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
going to switch to v-brakes on my cross bike. anyone have experience with the Paul minimotos? worth the premium over TRP 8.4s? I'm sure the TRP are great, but the hipster in me wants to pony up for the Pauls.
I know zilch about the Pauls, but built my cross bike with the 8.4s and those things are damned strong. Less clearance than canti brakes, but the one time I used them in mud, all was well.
Old 01-10-16, 12:46 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
So this just happened to my bike.

"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-10-16, 07:46 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've been running, and now you ride on an Adamo tri saddle. What's next, the pool?
Old 01-10-16, 08:55 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike868y

A teammate runs the minimotos and loves them. They are definitely effective. Very little clearance though. He likes big tires, I think he has 36s on there now, with maybe 2mm of clearance to the brake cable. He says the clearance hasn't been a problem because it's just a cable so junk doesn't really get jammed in there.
Old 01-10-16, 09:04 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by shovelhd
You've been running, and now you ride on an Adamo tri saddle. What's next, the pool?
Heh.

One of my fit things was to try the saddle. I was thinking of the set back rule, which I violate by a wide margin (I had 4mm, not cm, setback after moving the saddle back 1 or 2 cm). The whole "letter of the rule" kind of guilt thing. I know I don't fall under UCI auspices because I don't race at an elite level but still, I'd like to bring my bike to some kind of spec. The bar height relative to the front tire is my other big thing, probably have to get a higher BB frame, but I can't do that right now.

Bought one off eBay, had to wait for the choices to sort of "reload" (anyone who is looking for a specific item on eBay knows what I mean). Tried it last night, was invisible to me. I think I'm at 4.5 cm set back, that's what I'd expect from the fit measurement stuff.

I feel a lot more stable on the saddle now, between the insoles and the wider support saddle.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-10-16, 10:06 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Sleeveless jerseys.
Old 01-10-16, 10:49 AM
Ygduf
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
those saddles are horrifically wide to me. If anyone wants one I have an adamo I will send to you for shipping.
Old 01-10-16, 11:59 AM
Doge

Yea, it takes technology...Custom Energy & Protein Bars You Design Yourself - Youbars - Buildabar
Old 01-11-16, 01:16 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Ygduf
those saddles are horrifically wide to me. If anyone wants one I have an adamo I will send to you for shipping.
Dude. My spare bike.
Old 01-11-16, 02:05 PM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
So this just happened to my bike.

it makes sense.
Old 01-11-16, 02:43 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
lol
Old 01-11-16, 03:06 PM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahaha
Old 01-11-16, 04:11 PM
Ygduf
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Dude. My spare bike.
too slow. it is already in the mail. I'll tell that person to send it forward if he doesn't like it.

How wide of saddle do you normally ride? I usually like 143 and the adamo chewed the **** out of my thighs. It's like an inch too wide.
Old 01-11-16, 06:00 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turns out that the local dealer had an Evo fork that they just gave me! Sweet. Mismatched but that is okay.
Old 01-13-16, 02:31 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Ygduf
too slow. it is already in the mail. I'll tell that person to send it forward if he doesn't like it.

How wide of saddle do you normally ride? I usually like 143 and the adamo chewed the **** out of my thighs. It's like an inch too wide.
My just-before-the-Adamo saddle was the SLR. No idea of width, but it's one size.

Old 01-13-16, 08:42 AM
Sizzle82

Bikes: Cervelo S5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My just-before-the-Adamo saddle was the SLR. No idea of width, but it's one size.

Hey CDR any interest in getting rid of the SLR saddle I would like to try one. Got a Bontrager hilo right now but just aint working for me.
Old 01-13-16, 09:04 AM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the market for new handlebars, and I'm considering aero road bars. It seems that it's a no brainer since such a significant portion of wind resistance from the bike comes from the bars; the big downside is cost.

Zipp
Enve

I'm curious what y'all think about aero bars, and why they're not more widely used, since most of the advantages of an aero frame can be had by simply using aero bars...

Thoughts?

PS - I get that the most important thing about aero is body position on the bike, and I'm working on that...
Old 01-13-16, 09:37 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by rapwithtom
I'm in the market for new handlebars, and I'm considering aero road bars. It seems that it's a no brainer since such a significant portion of wind resistance from the bike comes from the bars; the big downside is cost.

Zipp
Enve

I'm curious what y'all think about aero bars, and why they're not more widely used, since most of the advantages of an aero frame can be had by simply using aero bars...

Thoughts?

PS - I get that the most important thing about aero is body position on the bike, and I'm working on that...
3T has some as well. Do aero bars really make as big a difference as an aero frame? Interesting, if true. My main concern with them is they introduce constraints on hand position, which could be a big deal for comfort. These aren't as extreme as the 3T aero bars.

I think the Enve bar is probably the better bet because the design places more emphasis on body position. They've got a steep flare that makes the hoods substantially narrower than the drops. The reasoning appears to be that the most aero position is hands on hoods, forearms flat along ramps, elbows at 90 degrees, and of course narrower = better. But that you want more width in the drops for control. For what it's worth, the 3T Ergonova has a similar flared design, though the flare is shallower. The hoods on that bar are about 2.5 cm narrower than the drops. I switched back to them after riding Rotundos for a couple years precisely because I wanted the aerodynamic benefits of the narrower bar. It can feel at first that you have less leverage when sprinting or attacking, especially if you're on the hoods, but after a while you get used to it and I don't think it has a significant effect on actual sprint power.

But oof, that price tag. If that's an issue, the Ergonova Pro (alloy version) goes down to 38, which would be something like 35.5 at the hoods. That would get you most of the benefits of the Enve bar for less than a quarter of the price. The downside is that they would still be quite narrow in the drops. The 40, which I ride, might be a better choice in that case.
Old 01-13-16, 09:37 AM
Doge

Zipp
Enve

Thoughts?

We have the Ritchey one piece bar stem and the ENVE SES (the one you show). Very different, my son loves both. No Zipp bar experience.

First my opinion is Ritchey is a very good bar / stem company and looking at their aero options now (today). I like removing the bar/stem connection from the equation. I am looking at this WCS Carbon Solostreem Integrated Bar/Stem | Ritchey

Round bars offer a better hand hold if you are going to be on the tops much / do long hill climbs. Our fitter prefers round bars.
THE SES has a 3-4mm hole for plugs. So if you want to stick things like a mirror in there - you can't.
The SES and the Ritchey will not take a bar mount Garmin like clamp that goes on the bar. The SES flairs too close to where the stem joins.

The SES has a radical bend - like the 70s bars on some Schwinn bikes. They are 44cm on the drops and 39 on the hoods - roughly. My son loves them for sprinting. The front profile has the brakes angled a bit. He does lots of forearm on the tops riding in the USA, so these are his favorite bars. I hope to test the Ritchey soon.
My son likes this bend particularly for back riding as he can be on the hoods and a bit more narrow and make some slots that would be tougher with wider bars. The drops are of course wide, but he sprints elbows out, so not a factor.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bars 6cm diff.jpg (10.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg
MASIonTheWall.jpg (83.2 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Doge; 01-13-16 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 10:17 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
I think Doge's son will say anything to get some time out of the hypoxic tent or get out of Dodge.

I have found that equipment selection is one of the biggest depends in cycling. I have stuff that my buddies told me was great and it turned out to be not so great for me. I tried narrower bars on my road bike and did not like them and went back to wider bars to match the width of my shoulders.

I have found leverage makes a lot of difference but it depends on the race. For a standing start, wider bars start faster. I have the 3T Scatto bars for team sprint at the track. They are narrow, aero and theoretically fast. I do not like the way they perform on the start and riding on the top hurts my hands due to the sharp aero edge. Obviously, I do not ride on the top when racing.

So if I am using drop bars for training, I do not use the 3T and use a standard round bar.

It is easy to borrow a set of bars and put them on a track bike to try or change out bars for specific racing and training requirements. Not so easy on a road bike. If possible, I would suggest trying some bars before buying and reworking your road bike.
Old 01-13-16, 11:17 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Zipp
Enve

Thoughts?

I got a pair of Giant's aero roadbars for a steal. My first comment to anyone that asks about them is how comfortable riding on the tops is compared to round bars.
Old 01-13-16, 11:32 AM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Do aero bars really make as big a difference as an aero frame? Interesting, if true.
I've read over the last couple of years (too lazy to look back) that body is about 70% of wind drag, frame/wheels 30%. Of the portion allocated to the frame (not including the wheels), 30% of the drag is from the handlebar, explainable because it's leading, because it's fat (esp with fat tap), and because it has things dangling all over (brifters, wires, computers).

These percentages are from memory. Because there are many variables (speed, rider size, position, etc), I don't care much about precision; my take away is that handlebars are pretty significant. Kamm foils and lowered seat stays all matter, but handlebar is essential, I think, for making a bike aero. (Including no exposed wires). For anecdotal evidence look at the bars of every aero bike out there...

Anyway, aero bars might be heavier, more/less comfortable, more or less rigid, more expensive etc. I don't know, I've never had any; I'm just surprised they're not more commonplace, and that's why I'm asking.
Old 01-13-16, 11:51 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Aerodynamics - Cervélo - 80ish % is the rider
Updated - EB14: Cervelo Ups the Aero Road Ante Again with a New S5, plus Updated RCA - Bikerumor - 30ish % of the 20% that is the bike, is the bar.

Let's pretend the above linked data is gospel. Relative to the full rider/bike system you get the following drag percentages:
Bars: 6%
Front Wheel: 3.2%
Frame: 3.2%
Fork, Bottle, Drivetrain: 1.8% each
...etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.