Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift Steering

Old 11-19-19, 10:27 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Zwift Steering

I tried the Zwift course today with the steering and it was a lot of fun. If you haven't tried it yet give it a go. You'll need a cell phone mount on your bars, and optionally a lazy susan type front tire support that lets you turn the wheel, and also the Zwift Companion app on the phone. The turntable isn't necessary but would make the steering smoother. As it is, my setup uses a Wahoo mat and the wheel doesn't turn well at all on it but the setup still worked. I believe it is only one course in the new redwoods section called Titans Grove on the "Muir and the Mountain" route in Watopia. Turn off at the ? sign and go down the dirt. The game will prompt you when you hit the new section.

You can adjust the steering sensitivity, although I left it at the default. It felt a lot like a video game where you had to avoid obstacles, more that than a training app this way. And when you went off track the same kinds of things you'd see in a game happen, probably because the underlying code was based on these games in the first place. I'm not a game programmer but I imagine that a lot of code is reused in that world.

This being an MTB trail, I would want to be able to control my speed on the downhills a little better, i.e. brakes, but you don't have any on a wheel off trainer like my Kickr Core. This may be the one place where a wheel on trainer would be better.

And while I did get a workout on it, it wouldn't be my first choice for doing one.

Last edited by zacster; 11-19-19 at 10:36 PM.
Likes For zacster: