Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Sometimes itís sad when a business closes.

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Sometimes itís sad when a business closes.

Old 01-29-22, 03:08 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12018 Post(s)
Liked 3,669 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Radio Shack and other stores that sold electronic parts and kits. There's still one independent store near me, it does a lot of internet sales but still has a small front retail sales room where the 'average joe' can walk in and get parts s/he needs for a repair/replacement/new build electronic project. And the retail sales area is a lovely undecorated mess where you can discover all sorts of things you never knew you needed.
Radio Shack "jumped the shark" long long ago... they failed to keep up with the consumer needs, and failed to move with the times, instead believing their cheap knockoff goods were suitable enough, and then establishing themselves as a Sprint store.

Almost everything they did led to their slow demise... They simply were no longer relevant. Their last desperate attempt to go back to the '80s was just sad.

Guys like me who did "electronics" and needed hardware, stopped going to RS long long ago... other sources were better... The biggest being Frys. Hobbists learned to shop Mouser, Digikey and others.
The electronics retail market is just plain mean... with vendors dropping out on a rather regular basis... Federated, Gateway, Lafayette, and others have come and gone... Best Buy is holding on for now.
Likes For genec:
Old 02-05-22, 02:13 AM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, Trek 420 Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 800 (for the taller relatives), Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot attempt at a double-boinger. .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
There's all this ex-big box or dead ass mall retail space out there.

I also realize the last couple of years ground level retail and entertainment business climate has been "challenging". I also realize that online gaming satisfies a some of the need we have to socially compete.

Having said that, I think that people will soon be wanting to go out for that sort of entertainment again. There's a mall nearby that I can see the old Sears store turned into a ice skating rink downstairs and a electric go-kart track upstairs. There are other empty large spaces that could make amazing slot car venues. They could redesign the Food Court and upgrade the selections to going to the Mall to eat a destination again.

There's a movement in art for "immersive art" experiences that seem to be pretty cool too.

There's a lot of practical problems in transforming that space from selling merchandise to entertainment, it would be expensive for one.
Problem is, they're still going to want an arm and a leg (plus triple net) for leases. . . .
Likes For mort1369:
Old 02-05-22, 03:21 AM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, Trek 420 Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 800 (for the taller relatives), Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot attempt at a double-boinger. .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Slot car tracks
No kidding, although Buena Park Raceway is still open, and supposedly another track opened in my old stamping grounds of Whittier, CA.
Some of the stuff I used to use:
Edsel dragster, anyone?
PC080017 by John Mortensen, on Flickr
PC080018 by John Mortensen, on Flickr
PC080019 by John Mortensen, on Flickr

Catalina, catalina. . .
PC080012 by John Mortensen, on Flickr
Another Pontiac. .
PC080007 by John Mortensen, on Flickr

A couple of Retro Can-Am cars, the second one I scratchbuilt the chassis. .
MatthesCarChassis by John Mortensen, on Flickr
MatthesCarTop by John Mortensen, on Flickr
InfamousMortensenQuadpod by John Mortensen, on Flickr
InfamousMortensenQuadpodChassis by John Mortensen, on Flickr

Last edited by mort1369; 02-14-22 at 04:12 AM.
Likes For mort1369:
Old 02-05-22, 09:00 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 290 Posts
Heck, it seems like most stores in the NYC area are closed or closing. It’s weird here nowadays...
Old 02-05-22, 03:12 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
I always figured those shoe repair shops were fronts for prostitution or drug money laundering or something. I went to a place like that with a pair of my wife's sandals that my dog chewed up and they couldn't fix them.

Few aromas can bring me back to my high school days like stopbath.
No, many (most?) are real shops. Some of the bigger ones also do stuff with horse saddles, cowboy gun holsters, etc.

I had a custom ironwork belt made at one.

Anyway, the line between what many consider ďlegitimate businessĒ and black market isnít nearly as cut and dry as do gooders would like to believe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gladio

See also ďWhy the war on drugs is a joke.Ē

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IranĖContra_affair

Last edited by SkinGriz; 02-05-22 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-05-22, 03:18 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
There's all this ex-big box or dead ass mall retail space out there.

I also realize the last couple of years ground level retail and entertainment business climate has been "challenging". I also realize that online gaming satisfies a some of the need we have to socially compete.

Having said that, I think that people will soon be wanting to go out for that sort of entertainment again. There's a mall nearby that I can see the old Sears store turned into a ice skating rink downstairs and a electric go-kart track upstairs. There are other empty large spaces that could make amazing slot car venues. They could redesign the Food Court and upgrade the selections to going to the Mall to eat a destination again.

There's a movement in art for "immersive art" experiences that seem to be pretty cool too.

There's a lot of practical problems in transforming that space from selling merchandise to entertainment, it would be expensive for one.
Iíve always wanted to buy some of those places and turn them into hipster lofts.

I was talking to a contractor friend of mine and he said the thing to overcome is the plumbing.

The drain waste pipes would all have to be redone as the difference between households showering + living + laundry would be a lot more water verses just customers and employees going potty.
Old 02-05-22, 09:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
I always figured those shoe repair shops were fronts for prostitution or drug money laundering or something. I went to a place like that with a pair of my wife's sandals that my dog chewed up and they couldn't fix them.
Sounds like a '50s film noir set in Chicago, NYC or Gotham.

But probably true, at least in some places. Same with some locksmiths, moving companies, waste disposal and (insert Sopranos trope here).

In my area it's mostly shady bars and strip clubs that serve that function.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-05-22, 10:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
I was taking off my boots and noticed the protective leather cap over the mock toe was coming delaminated.
This was done by a new to me shoe guy.

5+ years ago I used an excellent shoe guy in Los Alamitos. I donít think heís in business anymore.
Going into his shop back in the day there were tons of dance shoes that it looks like the customers forgot about after the wild hair left them.

Another business Iím bummed about closing is Spiffys on Maryís Corner. I-5 and WA-12.
They got bullied into shutting down over the Rona.
Iíve been through twice with the kids giving mom a break and they were EXCELLENT with the kids.
Anyplace that makes the kids feel special I try to patronize.
Check out Role Club, "brianthebootmaker" on Instagram. Youngish fella (30something, I'd guess) who apprenticed under a master bootmaker for years and now runs his own shop. Incredible work. Not inexpensive.

There are also tutorials on YouTube, but for some repairs we'd need equipment that isn't cost effective for only one or two pairs of boots. But there are some good tips for restoring my 50 year old pair of Herman Survivors that were used as a scratching post by my adopted tabby when she was a feral kitten. By the time I noticed she'd shredded the tops into semi-suede. But even that can be repaired with mostly elbow grease and no special tools.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-05-22, 10:04 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,890 Posts
The old record stores. Rushing to the mall to get the new Ozzy album or some artist you like before they sell out.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 02-06-22, 08:45 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Radio Shack "jumped the shark" long long ago... they failed to keep up with the consumer needs, and failed to move with the times, instead believing their cheap knockoff goods were suitable enough, and then establishing themselves as a Sprint store.

Almost everything they did led to their slow demise... They simply were no longer relevant. Their last desperate attempt to go back to the '80s was just sad.

Guys like me who did "electronics" and needed hardware, stopped going to RS long long ago... other sources were better... The biggest being Frys. Hobbists learned to shop Mouser, Digikey and others.
The electronics retail market is just plain mean... with vendors dropping out on a rather regular basis... Federated, Gateway, Lafayette, and others have come and gone... Best Buy is holding on for now.
You must not have been around in the 1970s and early 1980s, as RS was the place to go for your electronic needs and wants. They sold build kits that kids (or adults) could put together themselves, kits with mutli-purpose possibilities (breadboard and instructions for building a radio, simple computer calculator, controlable blinking devices, etc), individual parts (resistors, capacitors, simple IC's of that era, transistors, breadboarding equipment. That was the place to go and hang out for a few hours back in my youth.
Old 02-06-22, 08:51 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Fish stores. (Aquarium shops)
There are two within 5 miles of me. One is your traditional tropical fish store with all the individual tanks containing individual types of fish, the other is a 'koi farm' with pools where you can buy those big koi goldfish for your backyard pond.
Old 02-06-22, 03:04 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
You must not have been around in the 1970s and early 1980s, as RS was the place to go for your electronic needs and wants. They sold build kits that kids (or adults) could put together themselves, kits with mutli-purpose possibilities (breadboard and instructions for building a radio, simple computer calculator, controlable blinking devices, etc), individual parts (resistors, capacitors, simple IC's of that era, transistors, breadboarding equipment. That was the place to go and hang out for a few hours back in my youth.
Oh no, I very much was... at least in the late '60s; by the late '70s I was doing this stuff professionally. As a child, I had the RS 50 in 1 experimenter kit. It didn't have any ICs on it, but it did have a solar cell, a couple of transistors and lots of other components.

Shortly after that I used experimenter breadboards to do my own designs... and yes, I also built a kit or two from RS, and quite a few kits from Heathkit. But in the early '80s, RS was moving away from that and was carrying a lot more consumer electronics and fewer and fewer components.

Oh, and long before RS, I was opening consumer products and removing, testing and replacing vacuum tubes... courtesy of my local hardware store and their free tube tester. (I was about 12-14 years old at that point.) I also got a touch of "education" from a local TV repair shop, when I went in and asked what a "printed circuit board" was... I had actually seen them at that point, but did not quite grasp the concept, and quite a few radios I had worked on were point to point wired, but the parts were mounted on (but not soldered to) a phenolic board.

RS just sort of withered away when they went the TRS-80 and consumer products route... and I found other sources of the parts I needed... local parts houses and eventually, due to professional involvement... eventually commercial parts houses. I loved Mouser early on with their newspaper print catalogs... Eventually they grew as did others and all the catalogs were online.

Yeah, I remember the early Radio Shack.

Last edited by genec; 02-06-22 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-06-22, 03:08 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
The old record stores. Rushing to the mall to get the new Ozzy album or some artist you like before they sell out.
Buying '45s. Just one side had the good song... but occasionally you'd discover that hidden gem on the back.