Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Toe Clearance and bigger tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Toe Clearance and bigger tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-22, 10:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Well the OP did somewhat justify their reason for asking when they said this...

however, my foot would hit the front tire if I didn't pay attention when slow city riding or doing sharp turns.
Though I'm wondering if that slow city riding demanding sharp turns is pedestrians on the sidewalk and that the OP is doing <3 mph while riding through or with them.
Old 03-24-22, 10:57 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
No thread needed. Just don't pedal through a super tight, slow turn. Ratchet one pedal stroke if you need to. The only reason you would need to keep pedaling is if you are on a fixie. I've been riding road/gravel bikes for the past 25 years with toe overlap and never once fell over due to it.

Or alter the bikes handling. It's up to you.

A bike that changes its handling characteristics to avoid something that I already avoid without issue is my definition of "faulty design".
I learned the ratcheting method, because I had to with that particular bike. But this type of ultra low speed U-turn occurred for me so infrequently that ratcheting wasn't instilled in me as a 2nd nature instinct, and sometimes I'd forget to ratchet, overlap occurred, and I went down. I then bought a Spec Roubaix that doesn't do that. Overlap problem solved (for me). I'm not saying overlap can't be lived with, I'm saying I won't live with it. And apparently others think this way too. Have you never replaced something that didn't perform the way you wanted it to, with one that does? Or do you just continue to use sub-par stuff because you can learn to work around its faults?
Old 03-24-22, 12:10 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Sorry, but nothing about my bikes are subpar. The subpar part, would be the rider who could not accommodate them.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 03-24-22, 12:15 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Sorry, but nothing about my bikes are subpar. The subpar part, would be the rider who could not accommodate them.
Tim
Yup. It's fine if someone doesn't want to develop the technique, or just buy bikes that don't have toe overlap, but it isn't the bike that is the issue, it's the rider.

It's like someone complaining about never learning to do the soft pedal stroke when shifting and then complaining about the sub-par derailleur because of the harsh shifting.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 03-24-22, 12:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
If bikes were made to have no possibility of toe overlap, then they would be sub-par for everything else I currently use a bike for.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-24-22, 12:18 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I learned the ratcheting method, because I had to with that particular bike. But this type of ultra low speed U-turn occurred for me so infrequently that ratcheting wasn't instilled in me as a 2nd nature instinct, and sometimes I'd forget to ratchet, overlap occurred, and I went down. I then bought a Spec Roubaix that doesn't do that. Overlap problem solved (for me). I'm not saying overlap can't be lived with, I'm saying I won't live with it. And apparently others think this way too. Have you never replaced something that didn't perform the way you wanted it to, with one that does? Or do you just continue to use sub-par stuff because you can learn to work around its faults?
I think what you are missing is that I view the geo changes needed to eliminate all toe overlap to be what is in fact "sub-par". And apparently those designing these bikes feel the same.

I think what some folks may be missing as that the smaller the frame, the more drastic the changes you need to make to the top tube and/or head angle and/or fork offset to eliminate the toe overlap for certain sized feet.

If you are riding a frame size that is on the border of this, then it may well be that one frame has toe overlap for you and another does not, because the differences in geo needed to avoid the overlap may be pretty small.

But things are different for small frames. I ride frames in the 47-50 cm range with a size 9 foot and 170mm cranks. I've never ridden a road bike in this range with 32mm+ tires that did not have some overlap. The geo changes needed to eliminate it from these sizes I would find unacceptable. Could I work with it and ride the bike? Sure, but why would I bother for something that is a total non-issue for me to start with.

Clearly, if toe overlap is not something that one can safely manage, then the geo changes would make sense. But other people manage it with zero issue. Folks should not assume that since THEY can't ride it safely that nobody else can.

Like I said before, it is like pedal strikes in corners. We could just raise bottom brackets and use short enough cranks to allow us to pedal through hard turns.... but instead we just learn to not do it.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-24-22 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-24-22, 12:23 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
I don't know what you must be riding that a 13.7" BB is allowing you to pedal through literally everything with no regard.
Rocks, roots, rock gardens...

Previous bike had pedal strikes. Not my new one.
Old 03-24-22, 12:28 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by prj71
Rocks, roots, rock gardens...

Previous bike had pedal strikes. Not my new one.
Saying that you are no longer getting pedal strikes is not the same as saying you can pedal through whatever you want to without worrying about where your pedals are.

If what you are claiming is that you can pedal over any rocks and roots without regard to hitting your pedals with a 13.7' BB, then either your rocks and roots are small, or you do not realize that you are accommodating for them.
Old 03-24-22, 12:50 PM
prj71

Saying that you are no longer getting pedal strikes is not the same as saying you can pedal through whatever you want to without worrying about where your pedals are.

If what you are claiming is that you can pedal over any rocks and roots without regard to hitting your pedals with a 13.7' BB, then either your rocks and roots are small, or you do not realize that you are accommodating for them.
Not sure where I'm losing you. My previous bike had a lower BB. My newer bike has a higher BB. Both have same length cranks. Old one pedal strikes quite often...New one...None at all on the same trails since I've owned. Higher BB makes a difference.

It's much easier to buy a bike with a higher BB than have to fiddle around with pedaling techniques to avoid pedal strikes. Same concept as people that jack up their jeeps with lift kits...it's easier to clear obstacles and not scrape the bottom of the jeep when it's up higher.

And one more thing...My toes will not hit the front wheel with a higher bottom bracket!!!!

Last edited by prj71; 03-24-22 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-24-22, 12:59 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Not sure where I'm losing you. My previous bike had a lower BB. My newer bike has a higher BB. Both have same length cranks. Old one pedal strikes quite often...New one...None at all on the same trails since I've owned. Higher BB makes a difference.

It's much easier to buy a bike with a higher BB than have to fiddle around with pedaling techniques to avoid pedal strikes. Same concept as people that jack up their jeeps with lift kits...it's easier to clear obstacles and not scrape the bottom of the jeep when it's up higher.
I think you missed the point of my post that you were originally responding to. This is going nowhere.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-24-22 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-24-22, 03:40 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I disagree. The fact that overlap happens "makes it a big deal" to me also, because I don't want it to happen, at all. The fact that we don't want it doesn't make us ignorant (that's just an absurd thing for you to say), it just makes YOU more accepting of a bike's inherent faults, than we are willing to accept. I had overlap on a Trek Madone 2.3, went down several times because of it while doing 1-2 mph very tight U-turns where rotation of the cranks is needed to maintain forward motion and balance, toe overlap occurred, I went down. Some of us now want bikes that don't have it. Why is that a problem for you to understand. This thread is about how to avoid overlap. Go start your own thread on how to live with it.
If you've fallen 'several times' and continue to ride the bike you are obvisouly not satisfied with I don't know what to say. You either learn to deal w/ it or you don't...and you continue to fall because you're too stubborn to learn simple techniques that thousands of riders have figured out with ease. How to avoid it? Obviously don't put yourself in situations where it will cause problems. Don't do trackstands. Don't make super tight turns at very low speeds. It's not hard. As I mentioned I've had it on every bike I've owned and it's just not a big deal. Or get a custom frame that will eliminate it but probably won't fit well.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-24-22, 05:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
The arguments in this thread make me want to start a parody thread where I complain about my pedals striking the ground when I corner while pedaling. They should make bikes with much higher bottom brackets so I don't have to learn the proper way to ride my bike.
Old 03-24-22, 05:38 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
If you've fallen 'several times' and continue to ride the bike you are obvisouly not satisfied with I don't know what to say. You either learn to deal w/ it or you don't...and you continue to fall because you're too stubborn to learn simple techniques that thousands of riders have figured out with ease. How to avoid it? Obviously don't put yourself in situations where it will cause problems. Don't do trackstands. Don't make super tight turns at very low speeds. It's not hard. As I mentioned I've had it on every bike I've owned and it's just not a big deal. Or get a custom frame that will eliminate it but probably won't fit well.
I relegated that bike (that I put 12,200 miles on) to Zwift when I got a Spec Roubaix that didn't have overlap for me. And I ultimately got rid of the bike a year ago, to a new rider that I expected to not make more advanced super slow turns on, but I warned them. With that bike I both learned to deal with overlap, as well as moments of not dealing with it...well. I'm an Engineer and learn things quite well, as well as learning to deal with overlap by short stroke ratcheting, which isn't hard to learn, but is hard to instantly recall to do. My slow speed u-turns happened so infrequently that it's easy to not put it away to muscle memory. Low speed turns are more about balance than anything, so that's what you focus on, and therefore overlap is easy to occur when you least expect it, in my experience. Because overlap is one of those things that can take you down very quickly, and unexpectedly, albeit sometimes at near track stand speeds, I believe anything that can take you down without warning shouldn't be thought of as "not a big deal" and is irresponsible of you to imply. I didn't need a custom frame to eliminate it, just a production frame/fork that didn't have it (for me), and I didn't have to look hard to find it. The bike that I replaced the "overlap" bike with, now has 18,000 miles on it and I haven't fallen from overlap once, because it has none, for me.

Last edited by Riveting; 03-24-22 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-24-22, 06:03 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Someone should make adult training wheels for those who can't manage to get their feet out of the way when turning.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-24-22, 06:48 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Someone should make adult training wheels for those who can't manage to get their feet out of the way when turning.
And make them wear diapers so everyone can laugh at them!
Likes For KJ43:
Old 03-24-22, 08:32 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
I never understood this toe thing , until I bought a Casati Ellis. It was a wonderful bike , but I just didn't understand why my Rossin Record i bought new in 1985 about had no overlap but the Casati did? The toe clips cleared by about 1/2 inch on my Rossin. It road beautiful and I never thought about this. Then I bought that Casati and it had toe overlap. Another time I accidentally bought a Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, same major toe overlap. I sold both bikes. I realize it almost never comes into play, except if your riding in the city and make a tight turn , even then, you can do the one pedal pump trick. But for me no toe overlap on my bikes. I have since become a fan of vintage mountain bikes.. no toe overlap 🚫

Last edited by rossiny; 03-25-22 at 02:24 AM.
Likes For rossiny:
Old 03-25-22, 07:04 AM
freetors

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Of all the bikes I own they tend to have longer front centers for more stable handling so none of them toe overlap. I personally think overlap is a poor compromise to achieve a bike with "race" handling. If you're on an average size frame and you have toe overlap it could just as easily be argued that your frame is too short and twitchy handling.
Likes For freetors:
Old 03-25-22, 09:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by freetors
Of all the bikes I own they tend to have longer front centers for more stable handling so none of them toe overlap. I personally think overlap is a poor compromise to achieve a bike with "race" handling. If you're on an average size frame and you have toe overlap it could just as easily be argued that your frame is too short and twitchy handling.
What is an "average" sized frame?
Old 03-25-22, 09:53 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
My Fuji Pro, a bike that fit perfectly and was the best descender I ever rode had no overlap using the largest of the day toeclip and 175 cranks. So I just don't buy it that a bike has to have overlap to get good handling. (It did also have a very high BB; something I used to advantage in races may times. I had zero sprint and accelerations out of corners cost me a lot. With that bike I could often leave a little gap ahead going into the corner, take it faster and start pedaling sooner to minimize the sprinting I had to do.

Edit: this was also a very quick steering bike. I loved that I could maneuver through the crashes of Cat 03-4 races. Quicker than I would ever want in a non-race bike but it saved my butt a few times. The idea that a non-overlap bike can't have race handling? That completely stock bike (except rims and rubber) was proof against that.

I know this is blasphemy for some but to me, bikes are tools. Ones that work better - for me - are better tools and ones that get used more often. Bikes with significant overlap are tools that are not very well engineered to be user friendly for quite a few of us. They have a place but are not the best for everybody.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-25-22 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-25-22, 10:55 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Rolla
Or buy a bike that fits properly. I think that's most of the problem.

I don't have toe overlap on my Trek Domane. 5'8" with 32" inseam riding a 54. If I did have toe overlap I would have purchased a 56 and shortened the stem.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-25-22, 11:20 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 410 Posts
"Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."
Toeverlap. Hilarious thread.
Old 03-25-22, 11:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

If you're on an average size frame and you have toe overlap it could just as easily be argued that your frame is too short and twitchy handling.
Quite the opposite, actually. The shorter frame lets them run a longer stem, which is what makes for more stable handling.
https://road.cc/content/feature/how-...-length-231879

Furthermore, if you increase the fork rake (to get the wheel forward and away from the toes), you reduce the trail and make the steering even more twitchy.
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/11/the-...-the-steering/

If you have large feet or a mid-sole cleat position, you might have to sacrifice a lot in order to get rid of toe overlap, which as this thread shows, is not a concern for the majority of us. I can understand the OP's reasons, but that doesn't make it the rest of our problem.
Old 03-25-22, 11:56 AM
freetors

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Quite the opposite, actually. The shorter frame lets them run a longer stem, which is what makes for more stable handling.
https://road.cc/content/feature/how-...-length-231879

Furthermore, if you increase the fork rake (to get the wheel forward and away from the toes), you reduce the trail and make the steering even more twitchy.
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/11/the-...-the-steering/

If you have large feet or a mid-sole cleat position, you might have to sacrifice a lot in order to get rid of toe overlap, which as this thread shows, is not a concern for the majority of us. I can understand the OP's reasons, but that doesn't make it the rest of our problem.
Those aren't the only ways to increase the front center of a bike.
Old 03-25-22, 11:57 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Those aren't the only ways to increase the front center of a bike.
You're the one who chose making the frame longer, but state some other examples, and keep in mind how they affect other parameters.

Last edited by urbanknight; 03-25-22 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-25-22, 12:45 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Or buy a bike that fits properly. I think that's most of the problem.

I don't have toe overlap on my Trek Domane. 5'8" with 32" inseam riding a 54. If I did have toe overlap I would have purchased a 56 and shortened the stem.

Having to run a stubby stem is a better indicator of an improper fit than toe overlap, but you do you.
Likes For Rolla:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.