Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Worst Bike Related Injury?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's Your Worst Bike Related Injury?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-22, 02:29 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Low speed tangle with feral hogs 2013...

Fractured Sternum
Fractures along 7 Back Vertibrea
Painful Numbness at right shoulder
At recovery loss of Core Strength and Proprioception.

But my 80s ChroMo Univega is just fine!!!

Note: Helmet saved my life!
Old 03-30-22, 02:59 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I've been ht by cars three times two were drunk which took me off the road for a couple years and while mountain biking I broke a collar bone and Ulna.

My wife wonders why I like cyclocross
Old 03-30-22, 04:00 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
[QUOTE=Rdmonster69;22456019....................wicked hard ...........[/QUOTE]

That's a SE Mass or RI accent no?
Old 03-30-22, 04:16 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Shattered right wrist when I went over the handlebars after hitting a jagged rock on the road. My fault. Titanium pins and plates and Humpty Dumpty is back together again. On the bright side, through the rehab I became virtually ambidextrous except for throwing a baseball.

After reading some of the previous posts, I'm thinking of removing my post. I'm totally blown away by some of them.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 03-30-22 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-30-22, 07:29 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I hope this thread isn't going to be used to prove that cycling is dangerous.
Old 03-30-22, 08:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
2012 - biking to work hit a slick bit of road from a leaking truck perhaps and found myself and the bike sliding to a stop on my and it's left side. Frame member smacked my left shin in the process and left a nice contusion but no broken bone. Had never been contused so got checked out at an urgent care place. Took months for local swelling to resolve. Learned to appreciate wearing compression lower leg sleeves.
2014 - riding tandem on a rainy day, we approached a short bridge with steel decking and slowed down but not enough. Out of control just enough to dump the bike on it's and our left side. Possible bruised left hip bone - mild soreness off and on but much less now. Not a problem. Spouse/stoker may have fractured thumb joint but didn't get it checked out till much later. Resolved completely.
2019 - Rode first day of Hilly Hundred Weekend annual ride in Southern Indiana. Rained most of first day. Dumped the bike and me on a wet flat right turn. I seemed to have smacked tailbone on pavement. Couldn't sit down on the ground on it to eat at lunch stop. I'm a grown man, a registered nurse with access to the internet and self-diagnosed a bruised tailbone. Could do a sit-up only with a thick foam pad on carpet under me for a few days, then gradually progressed to sit-ups with thin pads, then just carpet over the course of a week or two. No other discomfort or movement/activity issues.
All-in-all, no worst bike-related injuries for me. Lucky boy, so far. Probably helps that these incidents all happened while riding recumbent bikes, so I didn't have far to fall to the road surface.
Old 03-30-22, 08:59 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
For myself, I guess it would have been when I was a sophomore in high school. Sometime in 1982.
While riding to school I was hit by a car resulting in asphalt embedded in my elbows, various scrapes and bruises, and a mild concussion
Old 03-30-22, 09:13 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornchips
I've had a pretty good run on my bike...until now. Recently I was riding along and moved to get out of the way of a parked car when my front tyre got caught in tram tracks (here in Melbourne, Australia) and I got slung off the bike, with my right shoulder taking pretty much all of the fall. I went to the hospital the next day and got the "all-clear" - no broken bones, just probable soft tissue damage that should sort itself out within a week. I was really surprised with the diagnosis as upon entering the hospital, it kind of felt as though I had broke my collar bone and about 3 ribs. "Must just be getting soft in my old age" I mused to myself as I left in a temporary makeshift sling. But when the pain become unbearable at work, and found myself unable to lift anything over my head, I decided to see a Doctor who ordered an ultrasound. The ultrasound, or more specifically, another x-ray of me bearing weight, revealed a sublaxed shoulder, or Grade II AC joint separation. Now, can I not only not lift anything above my head or move my arm with ease across my body, but am looking at 6 weeks off work. I'm now 17 days into my recovery and am wondering of its going to get any better. Apparently a Grade II tear doesn't warrant surgery, so I've just been RICE-ing up, but progress has been slow...it still hurts.

So what about you? What's the worst injury you've sustained while cycling?

Wow, hope it gets better faster than it is going now. I broke my collar bone and they put in a screw to hold it together. The worst part of it was not being able to ride. Seemed forever before I could ride again. Hang in there..............
Old 03-30-22, 09:24 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Shattered right wrist when I went over the handlebars after hitting a jagged rock on the road. My fault. Titanium pins and plates and Humpty Dumpty is back together again. On the bright side, through the rehab I became virtually ambidextrous except for throwing a baseball.

After reading some of the previous posts, I'm thinking of removing my post. I'm totally blown away by some of them.

--
Same here. I should remove my post too. My piddly collar bone injury is nothing compared to the ones posted here
Old 03-30-22, 09:59 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
I was in a bike race several years back. I had just bridged up to a small group of Italian riders, when one of them stuck a hand pump in my front wheel. Luckily, I escaped with only scrapes and bruises.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-30-22, 10:47 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I was in a bike race several years back. I had just bridged up to a small group of Italian riders, when one of them stuck a hand pump in my front wheel. Luckily, I escaped with only scrapes and bruises.
from one of my favorite movies

Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 03-31-22, 08:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
apparently cycling "shoulder season" has nothing to do w/ falling on your shoulder ... hahaha
Old 03-31-22, 08:23 AM
roth rothar

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Cannodale SR600,Trek 520, Specialized Rock Hopper, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Mary Ellen Moffat

Likes For roth rothar:
Old 03-31-22, 08:29 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
In fairness, I've only had 4 serious crashes in 40+ years and many hundreds of thousands of miles. Two were due to the bike, one was the road, and one were other riders going down. It happens. The one that got to me the most was when preparing for 1991 PBP. I should have sued.
Old 03-31-22, 08:40 AM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
the worst to me is the tamest to a lot, I was in a cross country mtb race, and considering I am a city boy, who had moved out to the country to try something new, I wasnt aware of the danger of ticks or what they looked like. got home and shoes were covered in ticks, so I just set them outside. I ended up with a bite on the back of calf, and after a month in a coma I ended up with viral encephalitis, the hardest physically from it has the seizures, the hardest mentally was i lost 5 years of memory and couldnt form new short term memory for about five years. remembering **** is still hard, and i have to re-teach myself things fairly often. but It is still imprinted on my my mind coming out of the coma and not knowing who the girl was that had sat next to me for the past month. the past 15 years years waking up in ditches on the side of the road running into things from seizures has had nothing on that.
Likes For c0urt:
Old 03-31-22, 08:40 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
What I learned from this thread is I have to "Shut-up and man-up" when my arthritis and rotator cuffs are barking at me.
Old 03-31-22, 09:04 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm waiting for a software built to get done, so here's my assessment thus far in the competition:
  1. Brain bleed - 10 Wheels
  2. Broken neck; C1 C2 fuse - bruce19
  3. Broken neck; C3 fracture - downtube42
  4. Lots 'O shattered stuff - Ghostrider62
  5. Broken elbow x 2 - Retro Grouch
  6. Broken elbow - Juan Foote
  7. Split collar bone - indyfabz
  8. Pulverized ankle bone - Rolla
  9. Broken Shoulder - jaxgtr
  10. Torn ligaments and tendons - Lambkin55
  11. AC separateions and collased lung - JohnDThompson
  12. AC Joint Separation - Rdmonster69
  13. AC Joint Separation - Cornchips
  14. AC Joint Sprain - rumrunn6
  15. Broken ribs & dislocated clavicle - mstateglfr
  16. Cut elbow - Daniel4
  17. Road rash - delbiker1

Feel free to debate my unilateral and uninformed results.
To finish up the story. I had to cancel the build (which takes 45 minutes on a good day) because a dude on another software team (those idiots) had a last minute check-in for our code base that just had to be in this release. After his check-in I force started a build, then sat and twiddled my thumbs for a while. Eventually I got curious, did a dif, and looked at his code. Oh. My. God. Ugly code. Gawdawful, with magic numbers, bypassing interfaces, grabbing unfiltered data from an input channel. All that was true and horrid and totally expected given the source.

But, to tie in to the thread. I was looking at his new code where a variable was declared static and initialized inside a function, yet subsequently used in that function as if it was initialized globally. So I pinged the guy, with a big "DUDE YOU BROKE THE BUILD". In parallel I googled how static declarations work in C, because I had a sneaking suspicion I've forgotten more than I realize. Oh how right I was on that point. A static variable initialized inside a function has global scope in the module and is initialized only once. Well crap. I used to know that.

I've had one too many cycling concussions to be allowed anywhere near code. So add to the list, hit my head and broke my brain. That's why I'm the manager now.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-01-22, 12:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by roth rothar
Mary Ellen Moffat
I've been known to say, nothing hurts like a broken heart, but after reading this thread, anyone can break up w/ me now, so long as I don't have to go thru what many here have gone thru (just don't give Wifey any ideas)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-03-22 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-01-22, 12:15 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
The scrape on my hand when my toe overlapped the front tire going 2 mph. Somebody should really fix that unsafe geometry!
Old 04-01-22, 12:17 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Last November: Broken my left cheeckbone; maxillary sinus, edema on my shoulder and a damage on left biceps , pectoral muscle and deltoid (medics said that i'm very lucky that i don't have any permanent damage or reduced movement).
Still i have to do more medics cheeckup since i don't feel mentally the same (memory loss and stuff) maybe related to the impact into the pavement.
Old 04-01-22, 02:52 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I went over the handlebars in 2018
Ever heard of the "Biker Fox Flip"?

Glad you are Ok.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 04-02-22, 12:16 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
1986 - crash in a crit yielded a comminuted clavicle, broken right scapula, three ribs
1988 - crash in a crit yielded broken left scapula and three more ribs
2016 - tandem crash yielded broken left scapula, right clavicle, and TWELVE ribs, five were displaced which resulted in intubation for five days in ICU for a pleural effusion and five weeks of fentanyl patches.

In the same tandem crash listed above, my wife broke three ribs, clavicle, sternum, three vertebrae, and her pelvis in two places.

Old 04-02-22, 07:15 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
With over 60 years of riding, just two partially dislocated shoulders were my worst injuries. Martial arts taught me how to fall, so that has helped me; I also have extremely tough bones, even my back doc that put in my lower back fusion TI rods and screws said I had the toughest bones he ever had to drill through in 20 years of practice, so I think that helped prevent me from breaking anything; but the most important thing...the grace of God.
Old 04-02-22, 10:11 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
I had a pretty spectacular crash which threw me about 3 meters into the air, I landed on my head (with no helmet) which was pushed against my clavicle, breaking the clavicle (but not my head). I suffered a good concussion, and suffered amnesia for about a week. 40-odd years later I still suffer frequent headaches.
Old 04-02-22, 10:48 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
The worst bike related injury that I have had was when the rear end of my road bike slid out on some gravel. I went straight down, multiple fractures to my femur. I have spent the last year recovering from the accident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.