Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

black grease uses

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

black grease uses

Old 04-13-22, 03:08 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
black grease uses

Hello , i got as a gift a little bucket of black grease plus the mini-dispenser. Since i already own a couple of different types (blu grease, lithium and silicon), for what specific purpose the black one seems to be the best choice (bike related ofc)?
Old 04-13-22, 03:15 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
You won't have to clean as often as it will not show up as badly on a black groupset and hubs or a black frame.
Old 04-13-22, 03:19 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Hello , i got as a gift a little bucket of black grease plus the mini-dispenser. Since i already own a couple of different types (blu grease, lithium and silicon), for what specific purpose the black one seems to be the best choice (bike related ofc)?
Who knows? The only thing you've said about it so far is it's black.

Originally Posted by easyupbug
You won't have to clean as often as it will not show up as badly on a black groupset and hubs or a black frame.
What a ridiculous thing to say.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-13-22, 04:28 PM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
( Warning : Aussie spelling ahead ).

Typically the black greases I have bought over the years have been that colour due to the presence of the chemical molybdenum disulphide ( "moly" ). This is a particularly low friction substance so these greases are more "slippery". A very common application is in constant velocity joints in autos. ( Though I would imagine graphite containing greases are also black / grey. )

I would suggest it's not going to make a lot of difference to the average mechanic whether you use this or not. Just use it wherever you might use a regular grease. I once read that it should not be used in ball and roller bearings as the theory was it was so slippery that the balls or rollers would slide instead of roll on their tracks, hence ironically increasing bearing wear. Nowadays I am not so sure if this wasn't an old wives tale. You would need an engineering analysis to determine that.

Speaking of which, here is a fascinating piece of history ( for mechanical engineers, which I am not ) from NASA ( or the organisation which preceded it perhaps ). .pdf at bottom.

Seeing the typed pages is quite poignant ( to me anyway ).

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19930086694

Edit: Upon reflection, personally, I would (still) NOT use moly grease in ball or roller bearings or on seat-posts, but don't know in practice whether it would matter. I WOULD use it on any plain bearing / sliding ( metal ) surfaces, like brake lever and derailleur pivots.

Last edited by redshift1; 04-13-22 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Add info.
Likes For redshift1:
Old 04-13-22, 07:14 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Do not judge by the color of the grease, but by the contents on the label.

I guess if you want to tar & feather someone and happen to be out of tar?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-13-22, 08:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
If it is the SuperWeb grease it is typically a very sticky grease for heavy usage. I think they recommend it for bearings but it will really stain and stick around. However like cxwrench said we have no idea what it is other than giving us color. Pretty typical around here though "I have stuff and what is it"
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-14-22, 10:16 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by redshift1
Typically the black greases I have bought over the years have been that colour due to the presence of the chemical molybdenum disulphide ( "moly" ). This is a particularly low friction substance so these greases are more "slippery". A very common application is in constant velocity joints in autos. ( Though I would imagine graphite containing greases are also black / grey. )

I would suggest it's not going to make a lot of difference to the average mechanic whether you use this or not.
Yup. Moly grease works just fine, though the stuff I have used has been pretty stiff and therefore not my choice for bearings where rolling resistance is a concern.
Old 04-14-22, 01:20 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Go as a singing minstrel during Halloween or if you simply want to be "cancelled."
Old 04-14-22, 10:44 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Who knows? The only thing you've said about it so far is it's black.

OK, please enlighten us and say something erudite about "what specific purpose the black one seems to be" in a typical bicycle application.

Last edited by easyupbug; 04-14-22 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-14-22, 11:15 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 91 Posts
( Warning : Aussie spelling ahead ).
Seeing the typed pages is quite poignant ( to me anyway ).
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19930086694
When I started my engineering career in the late 80's, I remember reading reports with similar looking texts, tables, photos and drawings. Compared to today, it was quite the production to put such a report together. Thanks for the memories!
Old 04-15-22, 05:40 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Nice recap on grease for anyone really interested:
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT GREASE
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-15-22, 06:19 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
If you are greasing something like a backhoe @15000 lbs I would use moly grease.
Old 04-15-22, 08:54 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
OK, please enlighten us and say something erudite about "what specific purpose the black one seems to be" in a typical bicycle application.
Read your first quote again. You said "it will not show up as badly on a black group...or black frame". It sounds stupid, doesn't it? Get black grease everywhere but it's ok, you can't see it...til you get it on your clothes.
Old 04-15-22, 12:33 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Virtually all bearings on a bike are low speed high load bearing. The headset being the one with high pressure high impact. IMO they should all have heavy sticky grease. Your "black" grease as someone mentioned probably is moly grease with a heavy base, and would be fine for the bike.
Old 04-16-22, 08:29 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
I think he forgot to add the "/s".
Old 04-16-22, 08:34 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

I once read that it should not be used in ball and roller bearings as the theory was it was so slippery that the balls or rollers would slide instead of roll on their tracks, hence ironically increasing bearing wear. Nowadays I am not so sure if this wasn't an old wives tale.
I have a tube of Shimano "Nexus Grease" (for internally-geared hubs) which is a moly-type grease. The ball bearings in the hub look like new after 10,000 miles. I support your suspicion that it's an old wives' tale.
Old 04-16-22, 08:35 PM
sweeks

Get black grease everywhere but it's ok, you can't see it...til you get it on your clothes.
This ^^
Moly-based grease is very difficult to remove from clothes.
Old 04-17-22, 12:53 PM
Tawraste666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I have tubs of grease from various sources that come with recommendations that seem virtuous but ultimately do not apply to me.
For example - the very expensive high temp red grease - great, but no application for me.
I have looked at my requirements and they are constant use in rainy conditions in a high salt environment. So I use marine prop grease for all bearing applications and ACF-50 for exposed moving parts and surfaces.
That said, I don't apply and forget - I regularly inspect, repack and regrease/reapply.
My bike is silent, shiny, and efficient at all times.
Likes For Tawraste666: