Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cheap disk brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-22, 03:12 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Cheap disk brakes

I am having a ridiculous amount of trouble with the cheapest of disc brakes. The bike in question has been taken in a total of 5 times to 3 different bike shops to get the brakes adjusted. Im not picky, they just get out of alignment very quickly and hardly stop me. My attempts at fixing them have been woeful.

I’ve spent $60 getting brakes adjusted, not to mention favors called in, the bike is less than a year old and I got it for $150 from a shop.

I’m taking the bike to a shop soon, and I’m thinking about upgrading the brakes. A mechanic at a lbs told me my brake system is a PITA and will always get unaligned. Normally I’m super anal about wheel rub but at this point im so fed up that I don’t even care about that and I still can’t get it to stop. Anyone else upgrade brakes in a situation like this? It’s a single speed and the bike I’m using the most.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 04-28-22 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-28-22, 04:02 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
I've never had any issues with reasonable quality disc brakes, so I would go for the upgrade.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-28-22, 04:48 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
The bike was $150? If that is the case, I would consider just buying a new bike with better brakes. A good set of entry level mechanical brakes will be close to that price (installed).
Old 04-28-22, 05:00 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
No one can tell you whether it's worth it or not without knowing more about the bike. You said you paid $150 but that doesn't indicate how good a bike it is. If it's a $150 Walmart BSO then it's probably not worth it. If you scored a good bike for cheap off Craigslist and it's worthy of being a keeper, then of course you want the best brakes you can afford.

You may want to provide more information about what the bike is, and what brakes are currently on there.
Old 04-28-22, 05:43 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
IMO, the trouble starts with "cheapest". We are talking about one of the most important aspects of riding a bike, being able to stop in a timely, safe manner. Does one really need advice for this?
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 04-28-22, 06:08 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If the brakes have needed that much attention, and apparently will continue to do so, why haven't you learned how to adjust them yourself yet? The other points are good, an upgrade would be a good idea, IF the bike is worth the expenditure. Note that any mechanicals that only move one side will constantly need adjusting and rotor truing, just because of the way they work. So I wouldn't aim for entry level either.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 04-28-22, 06:17 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
A $150 bike has ****** brakes? I'm shocked.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-22, 06:22 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Just throwing this out there but you sound like you ride a little on the aggressive side. if the brakes in question( as mentioned above) only move one pad just get used to it. If you upgrade make sure whatever you pick both pads move. make sure the rotors are straight I have used some of the super cheap mechanical brakes and got them to work pretty decent.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 04-28-22, 07:01 AM
couldwheels
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I am having a ridiculous amount of trouble with the cheapest of disc brakes. The bike in question has been taken in a total of 5 times to 3 different bike shops to get the brakes adjusted. Im not picky, they just get out of alignment very quickly and hardly stop me. My attempts at fixing them have been woeful.
I've used the cheapest disc brakes without problem as soon as I figured out how to adjust them properly. But ofc, it took me a while to figure out the "safe way" to adjust these cheap calipers. It's not as simple as getting it centered, in fact, you actually need to offset it to the piston side. Most LBS don't have a clue about it.

Loosen the nut that holds the brake cable to the caliper piston arm to loosen the cable and adjust the caliper housing so the side of the housing with the piston is much closer to the rotor than the other side. As close as you can get without the housing nor the piston side brake rubbing the rotor and then tighten the screws holding the caliper housing to the frame. And then adjust the brake pads so that they close as possible ot the rotor without rub.

That is what you do with very cheap one-piston calipers. These cheap calipers don't like their piston arm swiveling close to the limit. The ball-bearing action pushing the piston can "Spill" over the recess near the limit and cause the piston to pull back and you lose braking effectiveness. Quite dangerous. This is why you need to offset the caliper. Getting it centered over the rotor is a bad idea.

Finally, get your hubs and rotors true. If your hub is not true / wobbling due to bent axle or watever, you need to replace that hub, to eliminate the rub (and it rhymes!). Assuming your hub is perfect and the rotor still have wobble, you can true it yourself with great care using disc rotor truing tool or with the biggest adjustable wrench you have.
Likes For couldwheels:
Old 04-28-22, 09:40 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think you're throwing good money after bad, but if it's the bike you ride the most, it should probably have a decent brakes.
Old 04-28-22, 10:00 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
As above, it depends on whether your bike is worth the expenditure, but Shimano's MT 200, least expensive (AFAIK) hydraulic brakes ($120 or so per pair), stop my Giant FS bike extremely well.
Old 04-28-22, 10:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
You're a big dude who rides aggressively. Keeping things aligned and working on any bike you ride will require more effort.
Old 04-28-22, 10:37 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Brakes only slow you down. How are you gonna catch all the ladies and ride next to them if you are slowing down.

To those reading this and not knowing the history of the OP. Cheap parts are not designed to last or work well they will need constant tuning to make them barely work and in general they are not worth the time or money and if the bike comes with a lot that stuff or is very cheap like described above it is probably not worth upgrading parts on it and just worth saving your money towards something that will work well. Cheap stuff is for rich people who can afford to waste money and time.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-28-22, 10:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Brakes only slow you down. How are you gonna catch all the ladies and ride next to them if you are slowing down.

To those reading this and not knowing the history of the OP. Cheap parts are not designed to last or work well they will need constant tuning to make them barely work and in general they are not worth the time or money and if the bike comes with a lot that stuff or is very cheap like described above it is probably not worth upgrading parts on it and just worth saving your money towards something that will work well. Cheap stuff is for rich people who can afford to waste money and time.
Short version: don't throw good money after bad.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-22, 12:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by couldwheels
I've used the cheapest disc brakes without problem as soon as I figured out how to adjust them properly. But ofc, it took me a while to figure out the "safe way" to adjust these cheap calipers. It's not as simple as getting it centered, in fact, you actually need to offset it to the piston side. Most LBS don't have a clue about it.

Loosen the nut that holds the brake cable to the caliper piston arm to loosen the cable and adjust the caliper housing so the side of the housing with the piston is much closer to the rotor than the other side. As close as you can get without the housing nor the piston side brake rubbing the rotor and then tighten the screws holding the caliper housing to the frame. And then adjust the brake pads so that they close as possible ot the rotor without rub.

That is what you do with very cheap one-piston calipers. These cheap calipers don't like their piston arm swiveling close to the limit. The ball-bearing action pushing the piston can "Spill" over the recess near the limit and cause the piston to pull back and you lose braking effectiveness. Quite dangerous. This is why you need to offset the caliper. Getting it centered over the rotor is a bad idea.

Finally, get your hubs and rotors true. If your hub is not true / wobbling due to bent axle or watever, you need to replace that hub, to eliminate the rub (and it rhymes!). Assuming your hub is perfect and the rotor still have wobble, you can true it yourself with great care using disc rotor truing tool or with the biggest adjustable wrench you have.

hmm it sounds like the shops I’ve been taking it to don’t know how to properly adjust it. You’re right that I should learn, but in the meantime I might have to bring it back to the shop I got it at and see if I can pay him but I don’t like wasting his time. I just feel bad because the shop only really sells racing bikes and he just happened to have that beater that a shop employee built out of a parts bin. Can’t expect the same level of service as if I bought a new bike there ya know.
Old 04-28-22, 01:16 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Adjusting cheap mechanical disc brakes:
1. undo the brake cable.
2. position the caliper so that the inside (non-moving) pad is as close as you can get to the rotor without rubbing.
3. Using the pad adjuster, adjust the outside pad so that it is also close without touching.
4. Now, attach the brake cable and adjust its tension so that there is no slack and the first movement of the cable moves the actuator arm.
It's common but wrong to adjust the pad clearance by adjusting the cable tension. Doing it that way is easier but sacrifices cable travel.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 04-28-22, 03:27 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Larry is good. Not Ryan good, but can certainly set the hook.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-28-22, 04:10 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11953 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,469 Posts
At least Ryan was entertaining.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-28-22, 09:02 PM
couldwheels
Banned.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
2. position the caliper so that the inside (non-moving) pad is as close as you can get to the rotor without rubbing.
Everything you said there is correct. But #2 requires special consideration.

There's a design flaw with many cheap mechanical disc brake calipers and that is the "triskelion" looking recess with three ball bearings driving the piston. The worst thing that could happen are the ball bearings spilling over the recess and falling to the adjacent recess.

If that happens, the piston retracts and you suddenly lose brake, whammy!! I bet this design flaw can fixed so easily by the designers by adding stops on the recess but unfortunately, the Chinese designers/engineers didn't. I have experienced this happening on two different looking brakes from different manufacturers but having the same piston drive mechanism.

It happens when the piston arm is pulled close to the limit or stops on the caliper (not on the brake lever). To prevent that from happening, the piston arm must be at or near the "unpulled" position when all the brake components has been fixed in place. The best way to do this is adjust the caliper housing so the side of the housing with the piston is as close as possible to the rotor. Note: it's the housing, not the brake pad.

When you adjust the caliper housing that way, the piston side brake pad would be adjusted near to the maximum unpulled position of the piston lever. There's no way the balls will leave their assigned recess and brakes operate safely enough. If not, then you'll also need to look for thicker brake pads or if your current pads are already worn, they need to be replaced immediately.

This is in fact your #1 priority when adjusting cheap mechanical brakes with such piston drive mechanism. It is far more important than eliminating loud squealing because it concerns safety.
Old 04-28-22, 09:08 PM
couldwheels
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
You're a big dude who rides aggressively. Keeping things aligned and working on any bike you ride will require more effort.
Right. Big recreational riders should invest on better brakes.

Most commuters on dirt cheap bikes on dirt cheap brakes won't have safety issues because they're so slow, the saddle too low, they could just drag their shoes on the ground if they lost brakes and they would still stop on time because of their slow speeds.
Old 04-29-22, 04:17 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Larry is good. Not Ryan good, but can certainly set the hook.
Yea, I can't believe I fell for it!

The correct answer is to get cheap carbon tubular wheels to go with the cheapest disc brakes on your $150 bike so that you can find random women to draft behind!

Last edited by vespasianus; 04-29-22 at 04:21 AM.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 04-29-22, 11:57 AM
BlazingPedals

Answers are good to keep for future searches. Yeah, it's lost on Larry.
Old 04-29-22, 02:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
It’s a single speed and the bike I’m using the most.
what brand & model?
Old 04-29-22, 02:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

hmm it sounds like the shops I’ve been taking it to don’t know how to properly adjust it.
If bike shops can not adjust your brakes it means that the brakes are low quality bottom of the barrel brakes which will never perform well no matter how much you adjust them. Maybe it is time to to upgrade your brakes to something better.
Old 04-29-22, 02:55 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
what brand & model?

not sure, it was built out of spare parts by someone who knew what they were doing. I love it except for the brakes. The saddle cost more than the bike, was having some gentleman issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.