Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Pump Recommendation

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Pump Recommendation

Old 05-08-22, 08:21 AM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
So I have a couple on my short list, both of which I can get locally (faster, no paying for shipping); both are under $50 and get good reviews. Bontrager Charger, and Lezyne Macro Floor Drive. Any thoughts on either? I'm not that fond of the "auto-select" head on the Bontrager (which Outdoor Gear Labs said could be finicky, and is extraneous for me as I have Schrader valves, period), but could probably live with it.
Old 05-11-22, 10:29 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have a few pumps, I like the Bontrager because the pump head does presta and schrader with the same hole and it has a very long hose. I got a Ridgid inflator that works with the rechargeable batteries, it came with a presta adapter, it is too large to carry on the bike. I also got an electric inflator from amazon that is small enough to put in a bike bag.

I recommend the Bontrager pump or the electric inflator.
Old 05-12-22, 06:42 AM
Kat12

Thanks! Do you ever find any problem with attaching the head? Like I said, I don't need a Presta adapter at all, so I don't want something that's going to give me trouble just so I can have a feature I don't need/don't want a feature I don't need to be a selling point on a particular pump.

Can anyone explain to me as well how the Lezyne screw-on chuck works? I've only ever had lever-type bike pump heads (I've only ever had cheap pumps) and so I'm used to a pump where you flip the lever and it seals and that's how it keeps the air from coming back out. Then I find once I flip the lever to "open" so I can remove it, I have to do so quickly so I don't let all the air back out of the tire. How does this work with a screw-on chuck? Do I just have to unscrew it as quickly as possible before too much air escapes, or is there some way it seals?
Old 05-12-22, 07:10 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
+1 on the Bontrager. My old pump was a pain to switch from presta to Schrader because I had to disassemble the head and flip the innards. That is why I bought the Bontrager. Mine had a problem where it didn't fit the Schrader valve. I didn't worry about it as I used it for presta and my old pump for Schrader until the chuck failed on the old one. I contacted Trek to see if I could buy a new chuck and they sent a new hose and chuck free even though I didn't have my proof of purchase any longer and it may have even been out of warranty.

Old 05-12-22, 07:31 PM
Kat12

Originally Posted by Chuck M
+1 on the Bontrager. My old pump was a pain to switch from presta to Schrader because I had to disassemble the head and flip the innards. That is why I bought the Bontrager. Mine had a problem where it didn't fit the Schrader valve. I didn't worry about it as I used it for presta and my old pump for Schrader until the chuck failed on the old one. I contacted Trek to see if I could buy a new chuck and they sent a new hose and chuck free even though I didn't have my proof of purchase any longer and it may have even been out of warranty.
I'm not sure if that sells me on its utility for Schraders!
Old 05-12-22, 07:36 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
The chuck didn't fail on the Bontrager. It failed on the old cheap dept store pump. The only issue with the Bontrager and Schrader is the initial chuck which Trek made right.

Old 05-12-22, 08:48 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Bikes: Specialized Roll 2.0

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 12 Posts
I have this one. Pumps fast and it's accurate.
https://www.harborfreight.com/high-f...ump-63304.html
Old 05-13-22, 12:38 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
Charlie Ky's recommendation on the $13.99 HARBOR FREIGHT "High Flow Hand Air Pump" (sku 63304) pump is a great one. It is well built and durable. I would only say that its gauge is "ballpark" accurate and that it is not a precise reading, but other than that it is a superb pump even if it were priced at thirty dollars. It has does both SCHRADER and PRESTA. You won't find a better " typical Dynamite T plunger Old Fashioned style floor hand air pump" for twice the price.
IF YOU MUST HAVE PRECISION ACCURATE psi READING for your TIRE, then pump the tire and then use a separate high quality DIGITAL TIRE GAUGE to read the tire inflation pressure, and then release or add air as necessary Until You Get The precise tire pressure psi number that you desire. If you're like many folks who simply do the thumb squeeze test, then this pump is all you would need. Gauge accuracy is probably within 10%, so enough to be ballpark accurate, like new car speedometers were sixty years ago.
https://www.harborfreight.com/home/t...cle-pumps.html

Last edited by Vintage Schwinn; 05-13-22 at 01:17 AM.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 05-13-22, 05:45 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
Can anyone explain to me as well how the Lezyne screw-on chuck works? I've only ever had lever-type bike pump heads (I've only ever had cheap pumps) and so I'm used to a pump where you flip the lever and it seals and that's how it keeps the air from coming back out. Then I find once I flip the lever to "open" so I can remove it, I have to do so quickly so I don't let all the air back out of the tire. How does this work with a screw-on chuck? Do I just have to unscrew it as quickly as possible before too much air escapes, or is there some way it seals?
I have one of the Lezyne pumps with the ABS-1 Pro on it. That uses one of their "Flip Chucks", but in a right angle configuration (which I find to be very convenient to use).

On the Schrader side, it appears to me that it makes a face seal at pretty much the same time that the valve is opened, i.e., I don't see any independent radial seal between the chuck and the valve.

I use mine mostly on Presta. On the few occasions that I have used it on Schrader valves, it has worked without any drama, and little or no leakage when removing; I didn't feel that I was fighting with it to avoid deflation while removing the chuck.

Full disclosure, I've only used it on a few Schrader valves. I don't know if there are any tolerance issues in the world of Schrader valves that would make some of them problematic compared to others when using this chuck.

Lezyne also makes a "Dual Valve" lever-action head, and equips some of their pumps with that. I tried one briefly, and decided that I preferred the ABS-1 Pro.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 05-14-22, 08:48 AM
Kat12

Well, Bontrager it is... I was leaning slightly toward the Lezyne just because of the chuck, but of the 6 stores in my area that would be candidates (4 bike stores, 2 general outdoors stores), only one of them has either of these in stock, and I've already missed out on a lot of short commutes that could've been bike rides since I discovered the pump was broken, so I'm not waiting any longer to be able to use my bike so I can wait for shipping. I'm sure it'll be a fine pump; I've read a lot of good reviews about it.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 05-14-22, 01:07 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
I’ve seen the Rennkompressor get high marks in the past. No love for it anymore?
Old 05-14-22, 10:14 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
I've had a Specialized Comp floor pump for quite a few years now. The current model is red I think...mine is white with black trim (if that gives anyone an indication on what year mine is). Does both Presta and Schrader without having to change anything around. I like it.
Old 05-15-22, 08:55 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I am not sure what brand my bike pump is. Planet Bike perhaps? The pump works well enough, no complains. When I met and married Ms. NoWhammies, she came with her own bike pump too. As luck would it, same make/model as mine.

When I switched to tubeless, I bought a bike pump with an air reservoir that I could use to blast/seat the tubeless tyres. The pump does the job OK-ish. I am definitely not in love with the pump and wish I had bought something else like the one from Bontrager or Joe Blow.

Recently I used a Specalized pump while on a bike holiday for two weeks. Out the three pumps above, I like the Specialized the best. I am now trying to justify in my mind the purchase of yet another bike pump. Mrs. NoWhammies thinks I am going crazy.
Old 05-15-22, 02:45 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
I use this Ryobi model, it works well. Pull the trigger until the pressure is just above your target.
I already had other Ryobi tools using same battery. If you don't, then it might be a little pricey.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...737D/307627867
So, I have a bunch of pumps.
The gold standard, for pedal bikes, has been my Silca Track pump - purchased in '78 and in constant almost daily use since then. Replaced the head back around Y2k (for one which has Presta and Schraeder) and just 2 months ago, replaced the leather plunger head...
It is dead accurate on pressure, and gives a good workout when you have a bunch of pressure to put in. Also have some other pumps which work fine but the pressure gauges are not even close.
I also have electric pumps to use for cars and Motorcycles...
But the Ryobi looked interesting (cordless and possibly accurate...) I went into the local HomeDepot to check it out... And then I checked out the chargers and batteries for the pump - 3X the price !!! so I decided I wasn't that needy for convenience....
But right next to the Ryobi display, was a box of HUSKY floor pumps... $29.99 - had an interesting head for both P & S valves, seemed sturdy. SO I said 'What the Hell..." and bought it, planning to bring it back as a 'return'...
Pumped up tires on Road & MTB bikes - I run road 25mm at 72 front and 78 rear, Mtb I run at 22 Front and 26 rear.
Checked the air pressure with my accurate and pricey jaco pressure gauge - Dead On Accurate !!! The tried it on the motorcycles - Dead On Accurate !!! Just about any pump can put in air, but giving an accurate pressure reading is reserved for very few !
A cheapie pump, with what seems OK quality build - which actually checked out to give accurate pressures !!! What A Find! Prolly won't last half as long as my Silca'; but nice easy gauge read, unique pump head. Doesn't lose any pressure in the tire/tube when released and taken off the valve.
And, turns out, it rang in at $24.99 at the checkout.... Deal!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Bi...BP15/203936964
will pump to 160 psi...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-16-22, 01:18 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
So, I have a bunch of pumps.
The gold standard, for pedal bikes, has been my Silca Track pump - purchased in '78 and in constant almost daily use since then. Replaced the head back around Y2k (for one which has Presta and Schraeder) and just 2 months ago, replaced the leather plunger head...
It is dead accurate on pressure, and gives a good workout when you have a bunch of pressure to put in. Also have some other pumps which work fine but the pressure gauges are not even close.
Agreed. The Silca pumps are still being made today, headquartered in Indianapolis. The last pump you will ever buy. Every part is replaceable. They're practically indestructible. I have the Pista Plus, myself, with an aftermarket Hiro Presta chuck (the attached hose comes standard with a Schrader hose end, and a bell-shaped Presta chuck, so you don't need to buy the Hiro unless you want the best).

The price isn't for the faint of heart, however...
Old 06-08-22, 07:26 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
But the Ryobi looked interesting (cordless and possibly accurate...) I went into the local HomeDepot to check it out... And then I checked out the chargers and batteries for the pump - 3X the price !!! so I decided I wasn't that needy for convenience....
Thus my caution about whether or not you already have other Ryobi battery powered tools. If that pump would be your _only_ Ryobi battery tool it'd be pretty expensive and there are likely other more economical options.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 06-08-22, 07:50 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I was happy with my joe blow until the seals(o-rings) started leaking and it wouldn't go past 60 psi. Not help or support from Topeak.
Then I picked up a park which has been working fine.