Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

is this place dying

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

is this place dying

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 03:54 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by shafter
The bike fitting subforum is definitely dead. The 50+ is dying...
Thanks for the pun.
Old 06-22-16, 03:57 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by cave12man
Side note: Anyone know where your notifications are? Last version, when you log in there was a clear notification in the top right that told you if you had been quoted or whatever.
If you will just look at iBobi's thread on posting your problems with the forums update here...

As it has been noted by the Internet Brands staff, features are slowly being turned on as they get them up and running. A database transfer is not Marcus Welby, MD routine.
Old 06-22-16, 05:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
BikeForums may be waning, but bike-air.com has just been exploding over the last few years! I may jump ship.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-22-16, 06:51 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
back in the days message boards were the best sources of information. the ones with an early start held all the advantages.

nowadays all the information is on youtube. and people can interact on facebook groups that they already check on daily basis.
This.

Originally Posted by snidely
I don't come around as often because I get tired of the same old ******baggery from the same old people. Too much BS to sift through to get any real information. Fun is fun, but it gets old when that's the majority of what is posted.

Just sayin.
And this.

It's fun to shoot the **** with the regulars, but it's the same posts and questions every week.

Old 06-22-16, 07:30 PM
garysol1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Here is my .02 and feel free to disagree. At one time BF had legendary posters, friends and family. The place was a big home but yet everyone seemed to know everyone. For a while there moderation got very heavy handed and we lost many of our friends. Botto,Chipcom, blondeduathalongirl, UMD (nom nom nom )...etc... Some of my friends were kicked off of the page never to return and others just got tired of the bull****. Infractions were thrown around like parade candy. I stayed away for years and am just now looking at the site more than once or twice a week.
Old 06-22-16, 07:54 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Remember chat rooms. Does anyone still use chat rooms?
I don't recall breaking up, so I'm pretty sure that I still have a chat room girlfriend in Australia from 1998.
Old 06-22-16, 08:32 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't recall breaking up, so I'm pretty sure that I still have a chat room girlfriend in Australia from 1998.
He's probably moved on by now.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-22-16, 08:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Is it my imagination, or is Bike Forums a lot less active than it used to be.

Haven't bothered to look at stats but it seems like there are fewer posts, and fewer active posters.

My assumption is that they way people get information is migrating from message boards to youtube, and social media.
Yep.

Forums in general are dying.

There are lots of things this forum could do to spruce things up a bit ... but ...
Old 06-22-16, 08:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I've made these suggestions ... but I'm not holding my breath on any of them. Especially since we've taken a sudden step back into "retro" here.

Originally Posted by Machka
As an example of some new features which might be nice ...

This is the MyFitnessPal site: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Although you won't see all the features if you are not a member, I can tell you it includes things like:

-- a Facebook-like feed seen by you and your friends (no one else).

We have something like that here, if you go under My Profile, there are Visitor Messages. But they are a bit awkward ... I'm still not entirely sure how to use them, and I think they could be redone to be something more like a Facebook style page.

-- places to log food and exercise.

Here on Bikeforums, you might not need a place to log food. But a exercise/ride log might be nice. And even better if it connected to Strava, Garmin, FitBit, and things like that.

-- Apps ... this is kind of interesting, there are all sorts of these, many of which connect to MyFitnessPal. I use the BMI app and a "ticker" app, which are standard ones included with the site (you might not be able to see those unless you are a member), but may start using some others. These sorts of things might make Bikeforums useful rather than just entertaining.

-- Blog ... these are official MyFitnessPal articles by staff or whoever they get to write them. And that might be an idea. Have someone (members of BF, experts in the field, or whoever) write an article about some aspect of cycling once a week or once a month or something.

But there is also a casual blog area for members. As I mentioned, members can blog privately, or set it so that their friends can see the blogs, or open them publicly for all members. They can also be handy if you've got a standard answer for an often repeated question ... like here, perhaps, "How do I avoid saddle sores". I would write my standard answer in a blog, and just refer to it when the question comes up.

-- link to Facebook and others. I have "Liked" MyFitnessPal" on Facebook, so I get the official MyFitnessPal articles in my Facebook feed, but I have chosen not to link my progress to Facebook. However, I could do that if I wanted. I'm not quite sure how it works because I haven't tried it, but I know it is an option.

But we can't "Like" Bikeforums on Facebook. They aren't connected at all. Now if Bikeforums did have a Facebook page, I'm not sure what would appear in the newsfeed. As I mentioned, MyFitnessPal publishes their official blog articles, so if Bikeforums had official blog articles about cycling topics, they might post those. Or perhaps links to interesting cycling things going on ... like, for example, this appeared in my Facebook news feed a few days ago ... it's about Taiwan's new bicycle path: Taiwan to get round-the-island bicycle trail by end of year

You might have a small collection of volunteers from different areas of cycling whose job it would be to post interesting things they've found ... events, new products, etc. etc. This would, of course, require some thought.

Now I'm not saying Bikeforums should imitate MyFitnessPal ... there are features I like better on Bikeforums, but what I am saying is that maybe it is time to look around at what other sites do (MyFitnessPal is just one example I grabbed because I'm using it quite regularly these days), and see if there are any ideas Bikeforums can use.

Sadly, I suspect this forum is on its way out. I know this version of the site is easier to maintain, but it is a step in the wrong direction. Pity. Hope it can be revived.

This is a thread on reviving dead/dying forums:

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=241673

I'll also add that if you search "How to revive a dying forum", or anything about dying forums, there is a lot of information, but not all of it really helpful. Many forums are struggling these days.

However, in that article it says:

"Update your forum

Update your forum from what it previously was. There could have been something missing before, try to correct this. Give your forum a new identity and look. Change the style and add some modifications. You should aim to make your forum as unique as possible. Get opinions from other people on what they think of your forum - feedback is the best way forward.

Add some new features and then promote these. Make the features specific to your forum and something that the members would be interested in. This would create interest among the guests and should bring your more members
."

<<shrug shoulders ... wanders away again ... >>

Last edited by Machka; 06-22-16 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-22-16, 09:13 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
There are certainly multiple reasons activity has declined over the years. One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the influence of Mr. Armstrong. If you recall, the popularity of this site grew in direct proportion to Lance winning tours. The longer his winning streak the more Americans were attracted to cycling and the more posters joined BF. Bike Forums was the place to be if you were into cycling, the place to be seen and heard.
Interestingly, I just saw the "Stop at Nothing" documentary, outlining Lance's and his team's doping endeavors... Provided it is accurate, it is quite surprising that not more people were questioning the whole thing... I know everybody loves a good story, but coming back fully from cancer, and then going on to win many TdF against very strong opponents, you GOT to wonder wtf is going on!

And seeing how many people he destroyed along the way, simply because they had the "audacity" to question the legitimacy of his exploits, that was seriously hard to watch...

Anyway, back to our regular program

Geoff
Old 06-22-16, 09:28 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
It does seem like it was more fun before. botto had psimet in his signature. And then something about reading some book. I got great advice and bought some wheels that my wife still rides. She still can't understand why you need other wheels.

umd was an ass sometimes but still fun. Soloist deserves a pardon.
Old 06-22-16, 09:31 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Buy these wheels. Read this book.
Old 06-22-16, 10:12 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
You're likely right. There is a wave of new fitness oriented cyclists surging now as more and more people get the message that exercise is beneficial to health and longevity. I see a lot of ads and tv commercials picturing cyclists while promoting a healthy lifestyle.

And if the BF numbers decline is right, many of these cyclists are shunning BF at this time. Why do you need a forum? I mean, really, I was a cyclist for 15 years before the Internet even emerged in accessibility, and for almost 30 years before I found BF. Why do you REALLY need a forum to be a happy cyclist. Sure I've learned a few things here, but they weren't really essential to my cycling well being. I tell people all the time, I'm mainly here for the chuckles.

And I strongly suspect that attendance here would be higher if there was less arguing and hostility around here. Intelligent, successful, fitness oriented people concerned with their health are not interested in being around the silly, inconsequential arguing nonsense that frequently dominates this forum. You can find stupid anywhere, involuntarily. Why voluntarily go somewhere where it abounds? The silliness many of us love to fight about is just of no interest to them.
Yeah, fitness cyclists probably are not much of an audience here.

I sympathize with the Lance argument. He inspired me to get back into cycling, especially since I was recovering from throat cancer then, but I felt really let down there. Sure are some silly threads. I think many seasoned riders can take it but I am sure fitness and other cyclists think meh. Sometimes I do.
Old 06-22-16, 10:58 PM
Wested
post-ironic

Bikes: CAAD 12, Lemond Maillot Jaune

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it's all GCN's fault
Old 06-22-16, 11:26 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

You're likely right. There is a wave of new fitness oriented cyclists surging now as more and more people get the message that exercise is beneficial to health and longevity. I see a lot of ads and tv commercials picturing cyclists while promoting a healthy lifestyle.

And I strongly suspect that attendance here would be higher if there was less arguing and hostility around here. Intelligent, successful, fitness oriented people concerned with their health are not interested in being around thesilly, inconsequential arguing nonsense that frequently dominates this forum.You can find stupid anywhere, involuntarily. Why voluntarily go somewhere whereit abounds? The silliness many of us love to fight about is just of no interest to them.

And meanwhile, BF has done absolutely nothing to grab the fitness-oriented cyclists and fitness-oriented people in general.

For example, I keep suggesting thatBF create a "Cross-training" forum. See thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/991904-walking-second-language.html
We like cycling, but many of us also do many other things like walking, hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing, etc. etc. Perhaps that might interest people whose main activity is something other than cycling, but who also like to ride bicycles.

I’ve also suggested that the BF be rearranged a bit so that you’ve got an “Equipment” forum to talk about buying bicycles, helmets, gloves, shorts, wheels etc. etc. etc. The Electronics, Lighting and Gadgets” and “FittingYour Bike” forums could be sub-forums of that, or just merged into that. An Equipment forum would contain all the “What bike should I get?” etc. etc. questions.

And then maybe the remaining discussion in the Road forum could be about getting out on our bicycles and enjoying the ride! We’re not racers here, we’re just road riders … out for a bit of fitness and fun.

But here’s another idea, what about a bit of grouping … you’ve got the “Racers Forum” group where you’ve got different types of racing … and that’s where the racers go to discuss whatever they discuss …

… so, what about a “Bicycles and Rides Forum” group for Adaptive Cycling, Alt Bikes, Beach Cruisers, BMX, Classic & Vintage (both), Commuting, Cyclocross, Electric, Folding, Hybrid, Long Distance, Mountain, Recumbent, Road, SingleSpeed & Fixed Gear, Tandem, Touring.

… and a “Mechanics & Equipment Forum” group for Bicycle Mechanics, Framebuilders, maybe Utility and Alt Bikes and the new Equipment forum (mentioned above).

… and a “Cyclists Forum” group for “General, Clydes, Commuters, Fifty Plus, Professional Cycling for the Fans, Rec & Family, Women’s.

… and a “Fitness Forum” group for “Training &Nutrition, the new Cross-Training forum (mentioned above), Triathlon, and maybe Winter. You might want to flesh this grouping out with a forum on Health and Wellness in general or something like that … capturing that fitness-oriented market.

(I’m not sure where you’d want to put Advocacy and LCF … quite frankly, you talk about arguing and hostility …LCF is full of exactly that. It’s so bad in there my suggestion would be to merge that forum with Advocacy and not have an LCF forum at all)

Personally, I think the way it is now, there are so many forums that the discussions are spread thin. Maybe grouping them like this will bring people into that group and they’ll venture into related forums.

And Bikeforums needs to look at what people are using now to communicate with each other. Rumour has it that email will be more-or-less gone in a few years, which is unfortunate. I think forums are also on their way out, again, unfortunately. Even Facebook has gone from a communication tool to a kind of strange “Pinterest”.

But if that’s what’s popular, is there anything there which BF could imitate? Obviously people like posting pictures and memes and videos and things, so maybe those features need to be enhanced here.

Connectivity is also important …being able to connect to things like Strava, and food logs, and Facebook and fitness apps, and things. Perhaps making BF more of a training tool?

Incidentally, I haven't been in the Bicycling Magazine forum in ages and has it ever changed! So nice and clean and modern now. Any chance we could get this forum to look like that?
Forums | Bicycling Magazine Forums

Last edited by Machka; 06-25-16 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-23-16, 04:55 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately adding features like the above suggestions requires software development, which I'm not sure the owners/operators of BF have.
Old 06-23-16, 05:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by K.Katso
Unfortunately adding features like the above suggestions requires software development, which I'm not sure the owners/operators of BF have.
This organisation owns BF: Internet Brands, Inc.

If you click Our Brands: Internet Brands, Inc. ? Our Brands

And then click Diversified Media: Internet Brands, Inc. ? Diversified Media

There we are!

Unfortunately, it looks like all/most of their forums are this outdated design.

Last edited by Machka; 06-23-16 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-23-16, 05:45 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Unfortunately, it looks like all/most of their forums are this outdated design.
Probably because it is off-the-shelf software and doesn't take development time, only a small amount of systems administration.
Old 06-23-16, 05:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Probably because it is off-the-shelf software and doesn't take development time, only a small amount of systems administration.
Yep, probably. And that's partly why we've gone retro here ... easier maintenance.
Old 06-23-16, 05:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Yep, probably. And that's partly why we've gone retro here ... easier maintenance. Unfortunately that doesn't bode well for the longevity of the forum.
Old 06-23-16, 06:38 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Loads of good information can be found here. Even google search often directs me here.

Many younger people use other media. Just like we no longer use IRC for chatting, do we? It's all normal. Also, many questions have already been answered, so without need to post, you can just read what's already there - I'm sure many people do just that.

As far as design goes: forum is about content and possibility of getting new answers custom written by experts (and idiots ) for your particular question/problem - for free! Not sure a modern design would make any change in number of visits.
Old 06-23-16, 06:42 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It does seem like some big names fizzled out and left, or got banned. I remember when UMD got banned, and I kind of left the forum at that time as a mini protest. I was up on most of his threads, and he didn't deserve a ban more than some unbanned people I can think of off my head. I think I joined BF in late 2008, so almost 8 years. I'm pretty sad to not see PCAD posting anything anymore, his posts were always lively and his picture threads were always nice since he had a decent camera and lived on the other side of the country from me. It seems like Scrodzilla and SuiBlueWind(sp) aren't posting as much. Dannhilator, dminor, chelboed, and specialed also don't seem as active. I'm probably messing these names up, but I just started coming back to the forum a few weeks ago after a 1-2 year 'vacation' since UMD was banned, and haven't seen them. I remember it being a real shock that Tom had died in my absence, and I kind of vowed to be more active since I'm older, and a lot more experienced in the bicycle realm now. I was 18 when I joined, so I asked all of the 'stupid noob' questions, and got all of the salty sea dogs pissed at me for not searching, despite how craptastic the '08 search function was. Now I'm 26 and have been a bike mechanic for 7 years and have 13 bikes in my garage. I have nobody to thank for that radical change of direction my life took in 08 other than my then recently ex-girlfriend and bikeforums. I do think there needs to be some moderation of people that are just constantly being buttholes on this forum, and that are nothing but abrasive and argumentative just for the sake of arguing. In 2010-2012, they would have been given a few infractions, and maybe a day or two of time out. I feel like that system would work again, but that same system also pushed a lot of people away from BF. Maybe if it was only in place in the newbie forum, or on threads marked as noob threads, or started by people with less than a few month's activity? I don't really know how to implement it, but telling people to search, and then linking to 3+ threads that are now 5-6 years old and probably actually outdated doesn't really hook new members, IMO. I was moderated a few times over the last 8 years, but TBH, I probably needed it. I was a kid, and BF was my older brother and his group of friends that sometimes let me hang out with them to glean nuggets of information or tips from. If I had a bad day at college or failed a test or got yelled at at the bike shop by some customer that didn't know the chain on his $2500 Tarmac needs to be replaced every 2500 miles or so, I brought that back here and we talked about it (frequently in foo, but sometimes bikemechanics or road). I remember closing my laptop at 3am with 50-60 tabs of just BF open, trying to learn as much as I could about riding and working on bikes. I would find someone who talked a lot of sense and go read every thread they posted in on the mechanics forum. Now it seems like there are less and less of those people. I post from my phone most of the time, since my current job doesn't let me get on BF on the company internet. But the mobile site sucks, so by the time I find a thread I could post in to help, offer advice, or shoot down terrible advice I learned the hard way, I'm frustrated that I can't quote who I want to quote, and don't want to type out the entire message since I have large thumbs and a tiny phone, so I shut my phone off and get back to work.

Anyway; summer is always slow, but this summer feels extra slow compared to the late 2000's, IMO. Part of that is on me, for not picking up the BF torch and carrying it for my part of the marathon, but part of it is also because people don't use forums anymore. I'm fairly active on R E D D I T since my bicycle, motorcycle, car, book, model making, flashlight, and other areas of interest are all in one place, with a convenient app and quote system, that lets you filter posts based on points, so the crapposts get put to the bottom of the pile, which is quite nice. It saves me hours of sifting for the golden egg in multiple threads. It also turns it into an echo chamber, with a ridiculous hivemind effect, so I like to come here for an outside opinion. Gotta go to work.
Old 06-23-16, 06:43 AM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
It would appear most BF posts are done while f'ng off at the office, not out of time otherwise spent riding
guilty as charged
Old 06-23-16, 06:58 AM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wested
it's all GCN's fault
Maybe there should be a GCN sub-forum so we can discuss and ague over the merits of their instruction and advice.
Old 06-23-16, 07:05 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Ever evolving social media probably has something to do with it. Really though, that is where society is going now. If you think about it, a forum, chat room, etc. is just a virtual social gathering place to exchange ideas and shoot the breeze. No different than the local coffee shop, barber shop, beauty parlor, etc. back in the day. The social climate is different now. A place like Starbucks or Panaras should be that kind of place with people socializing and conversing with each other. Instead, everyone has their noses stuck in an electronic device oblivious to those around them.

The athletic/fitness landscape has changed as well. Everything athletic related these days has a tone of seriousness to it. It is not enough to just be doing something such as taking a walk or bike ride through the neighborhood. Now you have to be training for something that might never materialize. "No time for socializing in your given sport! That is for losers! Get with the program. Champions train! Buy our product, act like a champion and you will be one." That stuff is drilled into us night and day now.

That is probably why forums like the C & V sub forums are still going strong. They still have the coffee/barber shop feel to them. Once you get to a certain age you have been there and done that. So those people(myself included) know it's all good. Just getting up and making it through another day is what's important. The rest is just gravy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.