Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Manitoulin Island multi day tour?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-08-22, 07:36 AM
jpjuggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Manitoulin Island, ontario, canada: Has anyone done a multi day tour itinerary there that they can suggest? Any tips on where to leave the car?
Old 01-09-22, 02:44 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Check this link. I think you may find some useful info:
Ontario by Bike - Manitoulin Island

I dream of riding there one day.
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 01-10-22, 07:38 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
I've only been there once in my life, so no specific suggestions. If you stay at a family run type hotel one night, there's always the possibility of being able to leave the car in an out of the way place if the folks are friendly and have room.
In small towns, one could also make friendly enquiries at a local OPP station, Ontario Provincial Police.
All these depend on luck and how you approach people, but if they know you are spending time and money in their communities, chances are most likely good.
good luck
Likes For djb:
Old 01-10-22, 08:36 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Maybe leave at the ferry terminal. It's not a huge lot, maybe room for 22 cars not using the ferry.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-15-22, 09:51 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
It's been about 12 years now since I was on a solo motorcycle tour that passed through Manitoulin island. I was on the mainland, on the Bruce peninsula, waiting for the ferry from Tobermory to the island. I was riding a BMW K75RT, laden down with camping gear.

The ferry to the island docked, and the bow of the ferry flipped upwards somehow to show the vehicle compartment full of RVs, cars, and motorcycles. And the first two folks off the ship were these gents:

Before that moment, I hadn't realized that bicycle touring was a thing that one could do. I don't know who they are, or what their larger plans may have been. From the size of their panniers, and from the amount lashed to the rear rack, I'd say they were in the middle of a long-haul adventure. They seemed so matter-of-fact about it. When I saw them, I thought, "That looks like fun. It looks like it's more fun than what I'm doing now. And it looks like something I could keep doing for decades."

When I got back, I started riding my bike. In the space of a few years I went from sucking wind during an 8 mile commute on flat ground to 300+ miles along the GAP/C&O trails in a little over a year. So riding on Manitoulin Island has a special place in my memory -- even if I did it ages ago, on a motorcycle.
Old 01-16-22, 12:45 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
I did a short tour back in the early 90s. The island had a less developed tourist market. My prime memory is aggressive dogs snapping at my heels.
But Riding the Bruce to Tobermory was stunning
Old 01-16-22, 07:06 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by jeneralist
It's been about 12 years now since I was on a solo motorcycle tour that passed through Manitoulin island. I was on the mainland, on the Bruce peninsula, waiting for the ferry from Tobermory to the island. I was riding a BMW K75RT, laden down with camping gear.
hi there J, vaguely recall you mentoring the motorcycle thing, nice Beemer btw. Back in the day, 80s, when I was still in my bike (motor) phase, I always dreamt of getting a BMW enduro and doing the whole silver aluminum case setup and riding through central America. Uni happened and then other passions and work, and the bike (motor) thing lost my interest, eventually replaced by trying out cycle touring and getting hooked on that.
Who knows, one day could see getting a bike again, hell i keep paying every year to keep my M license, but certainly hope to keep pedalling as long as i can. That's our motto, keep moving. (And why I winter commute, just to keep the legs moving)
cheers