Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike hoarding was the sensible buyer behavior

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike hoarding was the sensible buyer behavior

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 06:18 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I am down to three and have stayed there. I have had as many as 9 at one time but found I spent more time maintaining and tinkering that riding. I have had very good luck selling on FB Marketplace if you re on that platform and as a second, local CL. I can say the FB stuff seems to move much more quickly than the listings on CL with fewer "tire kicker" inquiries.
Likes For fender1:
Old 12-28-20, 06:22 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Investing as a hobby? Only if you are a banker.
I expect half of the bikes I sell will show a some profit and the rest will show a loss. I've had some bikes that I've double my money on and some bikes that I gave away. I do enjoy my hobbies more if I can recoup my money easily.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-28-20 at 08:31 PM.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 12-28-20, 07:35 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I do enjoy my hobbies more if I can recoup my money easily.
Agreed. I'd like to pretend that my bike hobby is at least self-supporting. My annual cycling expenses exceed what I take in, but not by a whole lot. My cycling budget is hemorrhaging a trickle of cash every month, but selling a few bikes here and there takes the sting out of it.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 12-28-20, 08:41 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 1,407 Posts
I expect half of the bikes I sell will show a some profit and the rest will show a loss. I've had some bikes that I've double doubled my money on and some bikes that I gave away. I do enjoy my hobbies more if I can recoup my money easily.
I think it is pretty obvious not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it ends there. Making money as a factor of pleasure is odd to me. I don't go on vacation to come out ahead financially. As the old saying goes, I work to live ...
Likes For iab:
Old 12-28-20, 08:45 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Making money as a factor of pleasure is odd to me.
Replace the word "making" with "maintaining" and I think you get to the crux of what the others are saying... I like to buy bicycles that I know I'll be able to sell down the road when I'm interested in trying something new, which can support the new purchase without putting me much more in the hole. I think most would agree that isn't much to ask if you buy and sell wisely.

As for me, I have eight bicycles right now, half of which are ready to ride. I plan to be down to four before next summer and have them all in working order (three of those being among the current projects).

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 12-28-20, 08:49 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Replace the word "making" with "maintaining" and I think you get to the crux of what the others are saying... I like to buy bicycles that I know I'll be able to sell down the road when I'm interested in trying something new, which can support the new purchase without putting me much more in the hole. I think most would agree that isn't much to ask if you buy and sell wisely.

As for me, I have eight bicycles right now, half of which are ready to ride. I plan to be down to four before next summer and have them all in working order (three of those being among the current projects).

-Gregory
Thank you, the perfect summary. I hope opinions such as yours can be expressed without the absolute correctness of the opinion being challenged by the C&V police.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-28-20 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 08:52 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2437 Post(s)
Liked 3,120 Times in 1,962 Posts
Unfortunately what I have amassed probably will not return the outlay. And now that I have turned my addiction to something positive (making bikes for students as an incentive to work hard), I know that it’s just a hobby.

...might part with a few items I don’t see myself using, but probably never going to get into the buy and sell aspect of bike amassing...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 12-28-20, 10:16 PM
iab

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988

-Gregory
I know very well I'm in the minority with my view, and will be challenged by the C&V police.. I have a budget to spend, whether it be for a cheeseburger, or a bike. In many cases, I have maintained as you wrote with bikes. Never once have I maintained with cheeseburgers. In both cases, my pleasure would not be any less or more, even if the financial maintenance was reversed.

So I will continue to spend within my means. Damn the consequences.
Old 12-28-20, 10:20 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
So I will continue to spend within my means. Damn the consequences.
Well, there's no arguing with that... I spend far more on traveling and books than I do on bicycles or any other hobby that I can attempt to retain capital with... And my taste for 1950s British cycling has left me paying a premium for shipping costs from the UK lately. I want to say I've spent more than $500 shipping less than $2,000 of stuff in the past year or so. Certainly won't be getting that back any time soon, and I have no qualms!

-Gregory
Old 12-29-20, 06:15 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I like threads like this. Thank you, Barrettscv !

Buying and selling bikes on CL is like a game. No, its rather like fishing. An enjoyable hobby in which you catch and release fish. Most fish are average and fun to catch, but once in a while Jeremy Wade steps in and you catch a river monster! I'm rarely a braggard about myself, but I love to brag about my awesome CL deals, and I could easily go on and on. DON'T GET ME STARTED!

I enjoy meeting most CL people and a few have even become genuine friends. This happens because every deal passes through my personal "filter" before it actually happens. Through the tone of emails and phone calls, it becomes apparent if the buyer or seller is good people or a genuine dink.
Old 12-29-20, 06:29 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I have a couple gear driven hobbies that seem to draw collectors. I’ve never been a collector I don’t understand that need/drive just like I don’t understand the need to know what year my bike boom full production bike is. For the minority of us that don’t have this gene these threads are always interesting.
Old 12-29-20, 06:43 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by iab
I think it is pretty obvious not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it ends there. Making money as a factor of pleasure is odd to me. I don't go on vacation to come out ahead financially. As the old saying goes, I work to live ...
To help you understand an opposing opinion, I'll add some granularity: I'm not trying to get compensation for my time, I'm only interested in recouping a resource.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-29-20 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 07:27 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
To recoup any of my bike investments, I would actually have to sell something. I just try to reduce the cash outlays by buying cheap bikes that have good parts. If a $10 bike has a new set of tires or some other part that I have been wanting, then I'll swap out the stuff I want and donate the bike.
Old 12-29-20, 08:53 AM
iab

To help you understand an opposing opinion, I'll add some granularity: I'm not trying to get compensation for my time, I'm only interested in recouping a resource.
Michael, I fully understand the opposing opinion. It is the conventional wisdom. My hope is that if you don't recoup a resource it does not cause stress, anxiety or any sort of hardship. Those should be entirely foreign to the concept of a hobby.

Just want more Zen in C&V. It's not a contest.
Old 12-29-20, 08:58 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,986 Times in 1,776 Posts
LOL, if i tracked money spent vs money received on my bike buys and sales it would probably stop my playing in this world. I enjoy getting different bikes, I enjoy fixing them up, I enjoy riding them, I enjoy the smile on the face of a new owner when i sell one, I enjoy. It's not about the money for me, fortunately.
Old 12-29-20, 10:09 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
It’s more than a hobby, it is a passion. Desire finds a way. It was 10 years ago when my only bike was an ‘85 Trek 460 and seeing a ‘79/80 Moto Super Mirage for 60$ on CL. I had to have it. Now? I run a bike service out of a vintage shop in the backyard, tuning, refurbing, building and restoring. I will work on anything minus hydraulic brakes.

My two bikes from 10yrs ago? Long gone but replaced with a fleet of classic racers dating back to 1898.
Old 12-29-20, 10:27 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I've started realize that time is the finite resource. The last couple of years of bike accumulation has been fun, but I am not going to ever realy ride all these bikes, much less restore them to the image in my mind as I threw them on the pile. Roughly 30% of the bikes I have would make the first cut based on personal interest or value. The rest came to me for under $30 or free. These are the ones that will get chopped up for parts, or taken to the Co-op. There are a bunch in here that might be worth tuning up and selling as $100 riders, but only if I feel like I have the extra time to pay my self minimum wage. At this point I need to apply this to all of my accumulated possessions and collections.
Old 12-29-20, 10:27 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Nothing wrong with Corsa's or John Fitch

180 h.p.
I owned a '64 Monza. Rebuilt the motor and most everything else in the middle 70's. The problems for that engine were two things, the intake was offset so, one cylinder ran rich and the other end lean on each bank. Partially addressed with the '66 Corsa, with two carbs per bank. The other was the exhaust extensions from the head were D shaped to clear the push rod tubes... no matter how much you forced in, only so much could escape. I ran equal length headers which helped, instead of the cast iron exhaust manifolds that just restricted flow even more.

I do pass a '63 convertible every day sitting in a driveway on the way to work... Nah, single cylinder brake system was also, silly.
Old 12-29-20, 10:44 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I've started realize that time is the finite resource..
Unless you are salaried. It’s the newest exploitation arena.
Not universal, but as real leadership disappears and “management” is considered a replacement, it’s what’s for breakfast.
Old 12-29-20, 10:55 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I’m not sure it’s a resource. More of a product in markets that change with context.
You need to sell product in one context to offset/recoup your investment when it was another context.
The closer context you can find to yours when the product was acquired, more likely it is that you recoup accurately.

Forget the initial investment.
Forget the derivative enjoyment and fulfillment.

Seek the proper context and therefore the satisfaction, be it $ or inner warmth, even for a fleeting moment.
It happens, both ways, but if your expectations are tempered by the proper contextual parameters, you will worry less about it.

Believe me, sometimes giving stuff away has a far greater profit margin.

In fact, I’m pretty sure I bought some of the same parts from you, twice.
I doubt I needed them either time. You think it was about the parts?
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-29-20, 11:05 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I owned a '64 Monza. Rebuilt the motor and most everything else in the middle 70's. The problems for that engine were two things, the intake was offset so, one cylinder ran rich and the other end lean on each bank. Partially addressed with the '66 Corsa, with two carbs per bank. The other was the exhaust extensions from the head were D shaped to clear the push rod tubes... no matter how much you forced in, only so much could escape. I ran equal length headers which helped, instead of the cast iron exhaust manifolds that just restricted flow even more.

I do pass a '63 convertible every day sitting in a driveway on the way to work... Nah, single cylinder brake system was also, silly.
Understand about the Vair much underappreciated much like the TRI-A....missed the marketing hype of the I.M.

https://imgur.com/gallery/D6KVa/comment/252828982/1

If you didn't like Turbos...maybe this would solve the issue.

Not mine but I have had both variants....no T-lag with Webers, but no whoosh and jolt either!
Buy what you like, cheeseburger or salad....if that makes you happy the "investment" and your enjoyment are all that counts, in the end, remember you can't take it with you and as others have said, sometimes giving is better than receiving.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-29-20 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 11:09 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Thank you, the perfect summary. I hope opinions such as yours can be expressed without the absolute correctness of the opinion being challenged by the C&V police.
As I await the lightning bolt....” They’re just bikes.”
Not all, and not to all people, wherein lies the rub.
Inside that rub are varying truths to varying people.
Find them. Brazen Dropouts, perhaps?

The last thing on my mind when purchasing a bike is the resale.
Given my results, it should have been farther forward.
I’ve had to rationalize more than I should, but not all truths are self-evident.

I have one bike yet to get, under an artistic, craft, human endeavor umbrella.
Because it represents more than just a bike. Every part of it talks to me.

I have another to get for utility: gravel.

The rest are just equipment I like for some reason or other.

The market is an alien endeavor, and I don’t like living there.
I have enjoyed visiting, though.

Not everyone lives in Watopia, or Belgratzia.
Old 12-29-20, 11:12 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I’m not sure it’s a resource. More of a product in markets that change with context.
You need to sell product in one context to offset/recoup your investment when it was another context.
The closer context you can find to yours when the product was acquired, more likely it is that you recoup accurately.

Forget the initial investment.
Forget the derivative enjoyment and fulfillment.

Seek the proper context and therefore the satisfaction, be it $ or inner warmth, even for a fleeting moment.
It happens, both ways, but if your expectations are tempered by the proper contextual parameters, you will worry less about it.

Believe me, sometimes giving stuff away has a far greater profit margin.

In fact, I’m pretty sure I bought some of the same parts from you, twice.
I doubt I needed them either time. You think it was about the parts?
Every bike is different, I certainly wouldn't try the same ownership pattern with every bike.

Most bikes I keep for several years and put more than 1000 miles on after doing a full overhaul. One thing that is not in dispute, my bikes are in excellent operational and aesthetic condition and ready to ride a century. A few bikes I purchased, I did minor repairs, I didn't especially like the fit or riding quality and was happy to recoup my money. Other bikes are in the collection for a very specific reason and intended use.

Money is never primary, but I don't enjoy reckless decisions of any kind. Even when I descend at 45 mph, I'm fully aware of my decisions and the laws of physics.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-29-20 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-29-20, 11:15 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Understand about the very much underappreciated much like the TRI-A....missed the marketing hype of the I.M.

Best, Ben
Hmmm, maybe I need one....

Old 12-29-20, 11:16 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Every bike is different, I certainly wouldn't try the same ownership pattern with every bike.
Even when I descend at 45 mph, I'm fully aware of my decisions and the laws of physics.
And I’ve paid to see that, my friend!

What you need is a guy like yourself.
Not gonna happen. Special mold there, Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.