Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What would you build with a 91 Trek 750?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What would you build with a 91 Trek 750?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 11:47 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I no longer have the bike, but this was it's final version. I kept most of the original Deore DX components.

Is it cheating using the 750's touring sister?

Likes For katsup:
Old 01-06-22, 08:40 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Perfect looking. I had one of those bikes way back when and sold it far too cheaply, always liked the paint job.
Thanks. Yeah, back then black bikes were not that common. Nowadays...

Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Lovely. What stem did you use? Is that a VO?
Its a Nitto UI-12. Front loading, quill, 31.8

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 01-07-22, 08:17 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas, and keep them coming. I did go back down the C+V rabbit hole again and found a Shimano cassette hack that should work with Command Shifters.

https://www.bikeforums.net/8471659-post11.html

This is particularly appealing as I have all the bike junk on hand.
Old 01-07-22, 08:42 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Thanks for all the ideas, and keep them coming. I did go back down the C+V rabbit hole again and found a Shimano cassette hack that should work with Command Shifters.....
Are you sure you want to go with Command Shifters? They caught me eye a while back but aside from the cool factor, I wonder if the placement might be in the way. Plus it makes taping the bars more difficult. The review below is pretty good and will give you an idea of whether you'll like them or not.

Soma sells a set of these by DiaCompe ENE here: Ene Command Wing Shifter (Pair)

And there's a review of them here:

Old 01-07-22, 09:07 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I just put the Command shifters back in "deep storage" for the time being, but I think the geometry of the shifters is different and they are mounted under the brake levers. As an opposable thumb is the only thing that lets me presume an evolutionarily superiority to dolphins, I would not be putting my thumb through a hole at any point on a bike.
Old 01-07-22, 01:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
an opposable thumb is the only thing that lets me presume an evolutionarily superiority to dolphins, I would not be putting my thumb through a hole at any point on a bike.
+1
I cant imagine locking my thumb in and then going over the bars. The space seems small for a thumb plus winter glove too.

'Hey EMT, dont forget to bring my thumb- its over there on my bike's handlebars!'