Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Solidarity with motor bikers

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Solidarity with motor bikers

Old 01-16-22, 01:58 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sometimes I'll see a few bikers at rest stops when I'm cycling on the Natchez Trace. If they seem interested in interacting, I'll say something self deprecating like "Well, who's the dumbass in this group?" Makes them feel good about their choice, everyone gets a laugh. Many of them couldn't even walk up some of the hills we cycle regularly.
I do similar. I'll say, "I'm to F'n old for this F'n stuff.....my too old to ride one of them?" The older, wealthier riders on Sunday rides are better than the crotch rocket crowd tearing up the twisties. They are usually intrigued by my all black laidback recumbent and all black kit.
Old 01-16-22, 02:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
What would solidarity look like? They go to our meetings and won't cross our picket lines?

I've never been harassed by a biker while riding, honked at or close-passed. Can't say the same about drivers.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-16-22, 02:05 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell

lol. Lord, no.

They’re laughing at bicyclists doing it the hard way.

in Lycra.

if they even give bicyclists half a thought

(long time motorcyclist riding bicycles a lot more now)
Riding motorcycles since 1975 and road bicycles since 1981. A lot of my moto friends are also cyclists. Whether one has an affinity/understanding of the other is just a matter of the person involved. I don't think I can construct a reasonable assumption one way or the other.
Old 01-16-22, 02:07 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
100 miles into my first 600km brevet, it was 100F, I was alone in the middle of nowhere and had all but decided to quit at the next control. Crawling up a climb, I heard a Harley coming up behind me. The engine slowed as it approached, and i figured nothing good would come of this. The dude came alongside and matched my speed. I ignored him. I'm sure i looked like crap, between road grime, Gatorade stains, and sweat. Finally i looked over. Young guy, beard, no helmet, not exactly friendly looking. He said, loud and clear, "You are bad ass", and roared off. That turned my mood around entirely. "I am bad ass", I thought. I didn't quit at the next control, and finished my first 600k. The next year, I did another super randonneuring series, went to France, and finished Paris Best Paris. Not to be too dramatic, but I do think that boost on the road in rural Illinois was a turning point for me.

I've had a few less friendly interactions with people on motorcycles, but that's just people being who they are.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-16-22, 02:27 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I mean, it's a lot harder in a one-on-one scenario to close pass somebody with a 36" wide motorcycle versus an 80" wide Honda Odyssey minivan. You'd literally have to be trying to do it on purpose to be a turd. So not sure that's really any buy in to a friendlier relationship.

Meanwhile, minivans don't really rip country roads at 120mph on Saturday mornings either in a pack of 20.
Old 01-16-22, 02:31 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I've been a motorcyclist

My second bike shop job was a Schwinn and Honda motorcycles franchise in one building. I already had a 1978 Yamaha SR 500 with a Supertrap. Motorcyclists are such a huge population, they're pretty much on par with drivers in their friendly-ness, ass-wipe-ness, etc. I have been buzzed by a few motorcycles for no good reason other than they could. IME a lot of them hate bicycles for some reason.
Old 01-16-22, 02:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
My racing days, mid-'70s ... twice I pulled up to lights in industrial sections of Boston and had a Harley ride pull alongside. That fully leathered rider spent the entire sequence checking out my kit, Italian cycling shoes, Bell helmet ... Not a comfortable feeling; being a skinny bike racer and he outweighing me by 100 pounds and not looking like someone you wanted to mess with. Light turns green. He pulls out - and gives me a thumbs up.

I felt like these were the guys who would stop and step up if I really needed it.
Old 01-16-22, 02:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I mean, it's a lot harder in a one-on-one scenario to close pass somebody with a 36" wide motorcycle versus an 80" wide Honda Odyssey minivan. You'd literally have to be trying to do it on purpose to be a turd. So not sure that's really any buy in to a friendlier relationship.

Meanwhile, minivans don't really rip country roads at 120mph on Saturday mornings either in a pack of 20.

Right. I think the general rule is complete indifference. But, yes, I've had drivers deliberately make the turd moves, and I've never seen that from a biker. I think jerkwad drivers think they're invulnerable and that empowers them to express their jerkwadiness in a way a jerkwad biker wouldn't.

I've had pleasant interactions on the road with cyclists, bikers and drivers. I think that occurs because there are decent people who operate any type of vehicle. We're not "team cyclist" or "team biker" on the road, we're just people riding two-wheeled vehicles.

Last edited by livedarklions; 01-16-22 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 03:23 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I must add that my first 36 years of life were spent in Michigan and San Francisco. I had pretty much good vibes or indifference from motos until I moved to Paradise, California, in Butte County. Butte County, like anywhere in California when you get off the coast, has a special breed of idiots. As one of my friends said, "It's one thing to be ignorant. It is quite another to be ignorant and proud of it."

Last edited by venturi95; 01-16-22 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 03:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If I have any solidarity it would be with dirt bike riders , off road adventure riders and touring riders...I don't like the racer boys and I don't like their racing machines.
Old 01-16-22, 03:57 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I really don't get the pervasive anti-cycling mindset in our society. The level of outrage and indignation is way out of proportion to any inconvenience that cyclists pose.
It's always been striking to me that the endless vituperative complaints about "idiot walkers on MUPs" in BikeForums threads are spookily identical to complaints about cyclists by motorists.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-16-22, 03:58 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If I have any solidarity it would be with dirt bike riders , off road adventure riders and touring riders...I don't like the racer boys and I don't like their racing machines.
You're talking about motorcyclists, right?
Old 01-16-22, 04:06 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My racing days, mid-'70s ... twice I pulled up to lights in industrial sections of Boston and had a Harley ride pull alongside. That fully leathered rider spent the entire sequence checking out my kit, Italian cycling shoes, Bell helmet ... Not a comfortable feeling; being a skinny bike racer and he outweighing me by 100 pounds and not looking like someone you wanted to mess with. Light turns green. He pulls out - and gives me a thumbs up.
Reminds me of an encounter some years ago at a red light; a big guy on a motorcycle pulls up next to me and checks out my bike, and finally asks if I want to race. It was much more funny than awkward. We both laughed. Nice guy, he said take it easy or something like that when the light light turned green.
Old 01-16-22, 04:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
You've never watched Soccer Moms of Anarchy?
Old 01-16-22, 04:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
You're talking about motorcyclists, right?
Yes, that's what this topic is all about.
Old 01-16-22, 04:37 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
No solidarity with rock climbers either. A favorite place to unleash loud and bothersome exhaust noise is in the Yosemite Valley. The sound echoes off the granite walls for the listening pleasure of those trying to enjoy nature's beauty.
This also annoys the climbers scaling the big walls.
One time a bunch of bikers cruised up to some climbers hanging along the side of the road in Tuolumne Meadows.

One of the bikers looked at rack of gear that rock climber extraordinaire Jim Bridwell was wearing an asked, "what are those carabiners made out of boy?"

Bridwell gave them the stern look and replied "ground up Harley parts."

They got on their bikes and left, smart enough to know they would get their ass whooped by a bunch of climbers.
Reminds me of the time I climbed the Rostrum while being serenaded with the sweet sound of heavy construction equipment building something.

FWIW, I used to have a Honda Trail 90, basically a moped without pedals. I took it climbing anywhere I could (that is, somewhere I didn’t need to exceed 35mph to safely get there, and it was almost unstoppable at low speeds off road). It was fun.

I did manage to fit a small crash pad on my scooter on occasion.
Old 01-16-22, 04:54 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
A little OT, but the rail trails here and in NH are maintained by snowmobilers and ATV riders. They keep them scrupulously clean, no litter.
Old 01-16-22, 05:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Touring, yes, MTB, maybe half the time. Otherwise, no. Even accounting for the fact that someone on a motorbike might at some other time also be a person on a bicycle.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-16-22, 05:41 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 326 Posts
Old 01-16-22, 06:27 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Been a few years since a jerk on a motorcycle yelled at me to “Get the f*** off the road” as he passed on a local street. Not feeling the love before that or since then but no recent specific acts directed towards me on a bike. Sometimes even a friendly wave.
Loud pipes are annoying!
Old 01-16-22, 06:31 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
... cagers. ....
lol.. this term always makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

Old 01-16-22, 06:37 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Can't say I've felt any love from bikers. They usually ride like c**** where I live.
Old 01-16-22, 07:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
What would solidarity look like? They go to our meetings and won't cross our picket lines?

I've never been harassed by a biker while riding, honked at or close-passed. Can't say the same about drivers.
I actually did get very close passed by some bikers doing a large run in NW Montana. There were no other vehicles in sight. I finally pulled over on the small shoulder against the guardrail until they all passed.

Probably the worst encounter ever. The overwhelming majority have been great.
Old 01-16-22, 07:28 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Having toured a good deal out west, I get the feeling that bikers feel more solidarity with cyclists than cyclists feel bikers. I’ve had a lot of them wave at me or give thumbs up, as if we are cousins or something.

With that said, I have had some nice interactions with them. For example, while descending Independence Pass to Aspen behind a small group the guy at the back pointed out rocks in the road for me.
yeah under normal circumstances I wave at everyone on 2 wheels and bikers wave back atleast as much as roadies
Old 01-16-22, 08:42 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Ha! I ride motorcycles and am a member of motorcycling forums. On one forum where the moderators let almost anything stand, they have had to shut down several bicycling threads on account of the mess they become. I'd say that the percentage of motorcyclists with negative attitudes toward bicyclists is about like it is across the general population.

I really don't get the pervasive anti-cycling mindset in our society. The level of outrage and indignation is way out of proportion to any inconvenience that cyclists pose.
LOL! Think I've gone through all the prior mentioned notions, emotions and attitudes, over the years/decades.
Not as many years on the Moto, as on the Velo, but pretty close...
2 wheels are a terminal illness.
being a Euro means I like, and hold dear, a lot of things others can;t comprehend.
go to Silverstone, Isle of Man, Misano, Jerez and you'll find the same rabid fans as those on the side of the Alpe de Huiz, Arenberg forest, The Ventoux...
The same crazies who start their year with the 'Dakar' (even though it's now is SA).
I have as many Moto Buddies as I do Velo... many of whom don;t do the 'other'/dark side (to them), but all who appreciate the 2 wheel thing.
As noted by others, once you get into personal space and contact, the similarities are usually celebrated.
Cagers are another thing, there are SO MANY, too many cagers for whom getting in their cage becomes a confrontational thing, once out there.
That's the 800 lb gorilla for most of us 2 wheelers...
given that, my motos, except for one (for multi-day tours) will be sold off this spring... my focus has become more and more, the natural, unpaved world... without the noise.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.