Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cracked seatpost - repairable?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cracked seatpost - repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 09:26 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Cracked seattube - repairable?

EDIT: This is a damaged seattube, not seatpost. I am unable to edit the incorrect thread title. If an admin could correct the title, that would be cool. 😉

So my 2015 Trek 520 has developed a crack in the seattube, below the binder assembly, stemming from both sides of the circular hole in the cinch cut of the rear of the tube.
This is the second frame I have had this happen on. The original 520 had the same failure after about 3 years and 8000 miles. Trek warranted the frame.
This frame made it about 7000 miles before suffering the same failure. The crack has traveled about a third of the way around the circumference of the tube.

FYI, seatpost is a 300mm Velo Orange Grand Cru 27.2mm, inserted well beyond the minimum insertion. In fact, the end of the post extends almost 4" below the bottom of the seatstay/top-tube cluster. I weigh just south of 160lbs. Binder assembly was never excessively overtorqued.
Trek has offered to replace the frame again, but the canti version with steel fork is no longer available, so the new frame would be the current version with aluminum fork and disc brakes. I would really rather try to salvage my current frame and wheels, brakeset, geometry, etc... I just really like this bike, and have had it dialed in for years.
I was planning on having a local framebuilder attempt a repair on the seattube, probably welding a bead to seal the crack, and cleaning up the interior to make sure the 27.2 post fit is retained. I don't really need it to look perfect, but need it to be functionally reliable.
Does anybody here have experience with a similar repair, and does this course of action seem like it could be successful? If anybody has any other (better) suggestions they are welcomed.
I figured that if this repair attempt was not successful in the long term, I could lop off the binder assembly, modify a 27.2 post into an expanding (quill) post and keep the frame on the road.
Any guidance here would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by SalsaShark; 09-02-22 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Incorrect title
Old 09-02-22, 09:42 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I would drill "crack stop" holes at the ends of the cracks. At least 1/4" in diameter, or a little bigger. then keep an eye on them for further cracking.
The cracks are in the seat tube, not the seat post.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 09-02-22, 10:10 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I would chop the top off and braze a 1 1/4 tube all the way around.
Use a collar like you said and make sure the slot is narrower than now and DON'T drill a big keyhole. If the double thick is too stiff, then make a short cut on the front/ inside.
My custom bike was like this. Then I had to cut it shorter to hold the tapered post end.
Old 09-02-22, 10:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Is that a 3rd crack just below the left seatpin ear? Looks identical to the two coming off the seat lug slot except not as good focus.
Old 09-02-22, 11:07 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Is that a 3rd crack just below the left seatpin ear? Looks identical to the two coming off the seat lug slot except not as good focus.
Nope, that is just a piece of dust or something lit up by the flash from the photo.
Old 09-03-22, 05:01 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
If you repair it you'll never get a replacement again from trek
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-03-22, 07:37 AM
SalsaShark

Originally Posted by dedhed
If you repair it you'll never get a replacement again from trek
Understood. But if the goal was a replacement frame, that would already be accomplished. Problem is the replacement would not be the desired frame - thus the intention to repair.
Old 09-03-22, 09:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Possibly from over-torquing the seatpost clamp? Surprised a bit that Trek didn't try and claim this.
Old 09-03-22, 10:26 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,919 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Possibly from over-torquing the seatpost clamp? Surprised a bit that Trek didn't try and claim this.
How would over-torquing, which would force the cracks closed, cause cracking??
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-03-22, 11:53 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
Are you sure the 27.2 seatpost is in fact 27.2mm? It makes no sense that two frames would fail in exactly the same way
Old 09-03-22, 12:44 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If you are sure you don't ever want a replacement, take it to a frame builder and see if a more permanent fix can be made. I'm sure it is not common, but a quick search does show it is not a completely rare occurrence.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but if the 27.2mm seatpost is small, as mentioned above, or the ID of the seat tube is a bit large there might be enough leverage over time to cause the break. It is definitely looks like an issue with stress/flex, at that point of the seat tube.

Many vintage, horizontal top tube, bikes don't have that much of the seat tube extending above the top tube. That may be a better fix, but I'd talk to a frame builder to figure out the best way to do it.

John
Old 09-03-22, 01:01 PM
SalsaShark

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Are you sure the 27.2 seatpost is in fact 27.2mm? It makes no sense that two frames would fail in exactly the same way
The seatpost is correct and fits perfectly. I am running a layback post with a Brooks Pro, so there is leverage, but no more than any one of the millions of riders out there using a similar setup.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The clamp does not need to be torqued very tightly to keep the post from slipping. There is no issue with the clamp.
As I said, Trek has already approved the warranty claim if I want to go that route, but for me, the options of a new style frame or credit towards a new complete bike are not as enticing as keeping this one on the road.

I have a couple buddies working as framebuilders, and have discussed some repair options, but this is new territory for them, also. I was just trying to gather as much information as possible, and maybe find somebody who has has an experience with a similar repair in the past.
Thanks!

Last edited by SalsaShark; 09-03-22 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 07:23 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
How would over-torquing, which would force the cracks closed, cause cracking??
This ^^.
Aluminum is pretty strong under compressive loading; it's alternation between compression and tension that causes cyclic fatigue. I've seen this in several aluminum frames on folding commuter bikes, which have the seatpost clamp cycled several times a day. It seems unusual to find the same kind of failure in a seatpost, or even two consecutive seatposts, that are tightened and mostly left alone. Still, the mode of failure seems similar.