Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Key features missing from all free bicycle apps?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Key features missing from all free bicycle apps?

Old 09-21-22, 12:01 AM
SkinnyLad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes View Post
I do what you're asking with Garmin. I have a 130+ unit on the handlebars, recording GPS data and pedal power-meter data. I create segments on the webportal for Garmin Connect. These segments can be loaded, selectively, to the 130+ headunit. While riding, the unit advises me that I am approaching a segment, and, when I'm "on segment," it tells me whether I'm ahead or behind my best recorded pace by X number of seconds.
Garmin looks like a solid training aid and what you describe is very similar to what I'm looking for. I wish there was some lightweight alternative with tracking that worked using only your phone and it's GPS as a standalone app.
Old 09-21-22, 12:16 AM
SkinnyLad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
Have you looked at the extra features available in Cyclemeter? I don't have it, but I'm assuming some of what you want may be available for a price.Cyclemeter also plays nicely with Strava, Facebook, Twitter and more, while importing and exporting routes is also easy.
  • Price Free (in-app upgrades available for $9.99 each)
Of all the free ones I tried and paid ones I have looked into, cyclemeter might be the closest to what I'm looking for but it is difficult to know if the premium extras would actually provide the functionality and UI I'm lacking. I'll try to find some reviews and screenshots, thanks!
Old 09-21-22, 03:17 AM
Troul 
:D

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,067 Times in 1,386 Posts
(when paired) To be able to use the phone in order to easily tap N plot on the spot routing, amending active status on the fly for that route. Giving the default option to save that route file as a copy or to override the existing file (depending how the user setup the config defaults) .
Old 09-23-22, 06:37 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 947 Posts
I think they need to figure out a way for the mapping utilities like RWGPS or Strava to integrate incident reporting. So if on a ride you encounter a problem, you can report it and it would appear as a small icon specific to the type of incident. If multiples happen in the same area, the icon would accrue a little number. I thought the driving app Waze does something like this.

Then overlay this with the already existing DOT data on traffic volume per road color code.

So when planning a route, you can see what you're getting into. Majority of fatal and serious bike accidents in towns sometimes occur in pretty concentrated areas.

So stuff like this:
-tire destroying debris in bike lane
-doorings near hit
-hits/near hits
-high/dangerous traffic
-dogs
-extreme poor road condition worse than expected
-close passes
Old 09-23-22, 02:22 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 391 Posts
If it's so simple to create that it's not worth paying for, then maybe OP should create it himself.
Old 09-23-22, 03:03 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 495 Posts
i recently inherited my daughters android phone. i might delve into this investigation once again. the iphone en devour was an expensive outlay and so i abandoned that quickly.
Old 09-23-22, 04:13 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 579 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
We have got enough motorist distracted by their cell phones while driving. Do we need cyclist to be distracted with too much real time info about their ride?
Agree. No need to be distracted by real time info other than a quick glance at the bike computer for current distance and speed.
Old 09-24-22, 11:21 AM
SkinnyLad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
If it's so simple to create that it's not worth paying for, then maybe OP should create it himself.
An app like this is never simple to create. It's the app itself that I'd like to be simple, just core functionality, well implemented but lightweight and with a good UI.
Most people seem to want something else though, which is why such an app probably doesn't exist, there's simply not enough money in it. I couldn't create anything as I have no skills in this area, but I happen to know someone who does. To get him talked into making an app just for me and some odd hundred people out there is a tough sell but he's got a long history in open source so who knows.
Old 09-24-22, 11:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20487 Post(s)
Liked 9,206 Times in 4,560 Posts
We have got enough motorist distracted by their cell phones while driving. Do we need cyclist to be distracted with too much real time info about their ride?
I know what times I've been hitting certain points on my routes. So just looking briefly at my timer, I know if I'm ahead or behind what my previous rides have been. And a glance at the timer prior to starting a segment and when finishing a segment also lets me know how well I did that segment.
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Agree. No need to be distracted by real time info other than a quick glance at the bike computer for current distance and speed.
This may sound shocking, but y'all don't seem to know what the hell you're talking about. The data that he's looking for is primarily conveyed by a) +/- seconds (vs previous and/or PR) and maybe b) distance to go; it's hardly decoding hieroglyphics. In practice, it's *less* distracting, as it's certainly as glanceable as MPH and time/distance, but requires less by way of recall and mental math.