Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Favorite tire

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Favorite tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-20, 03:42 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Favorite tire

What is your favorite 700c clincher tire on your steel C&V bike? Why is it your favorite? Please tell us what bike(s) the tire is installed on and include which size you prefer.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-20-20 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-19-20, 03:50 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
My favorite tire is the Vittoria Open Pavè.

Old 12-19-20, 03:55 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Current is the Specialized Turbo Hell of the North in 28mm. Currently on an 80s Bernard Carré, Jan de Reus, and a couple of other wheelsets that get put on various frames. Some find these fragile, but I have not experienced that. I have not paid full price for any set. Why do I like it. The ride is lively on whatever frame they are installed.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 12-19-20, 03:59 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
My favorite tire is the Vittoria Open Pavè.

I have the green stripe version on my Eddy Merckx. It's very grippy and has a smooth ride combined with low rolling resistance.

It’s unfortunate that Vittoria no longer makes an exact replacement

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-19-20 at 04:31 PM.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 12-19-20, 04:55 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Favorite on the Marinoni is Compass/Rene Herse Stampede Pass EL, 700x32mm. 260gm measured weight on my digital scale, 32+mm actual width on tb14 rims. Lively, smooth, versatile. I expect to get 7000 total miles (3500 on the front, then another 3500 when moved to the rear), based on plenty of experience with similar C/RH tires. FWIW, I just removed the rear Grand Bois Cypres predecessor after 4000 miles on the rear of this bike, still usable as “tour spare”. So the high initial cost seems pretty reasonable in the long run. Hopefully I don’t awaken the Flat Tire Karma gods by saying that they are fine in that regard.

I use the Chinook Pass EL (28mm) version on the Miyata, since 32’s don’t fit under its fenders

Last edited by Dfrost; 12-19-20 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-19-20, 05:28 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
Veloflex Masters mostly in 25, but I have one bike with 28s. I just put the Veloflex Record 23s on a track bike, but have yet to ride it. Boy those are light and supple tires in hand though. Veloflex has stopped making the Masters. I have yet to try the replacements.
Old 12-19-20, 06:09 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
The bikes I’ve ridden the most this year have Compass 38mm tires, Compass 35mm tires, and Gravel King 32mm tires. All good.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-19-20, 06:28 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
+1 on the Compass/Rene Herse 700 x 32 in ultralight. I have them on my Boulder Brevet, Raleigh International, and Bernard Carre´. They are lively and comfortable to ride. I've got RH 700 x 38 on my off topic Diverge - not as lively as the 32's (as you'd imagine), but don't miss by much.

And of course, Paselas look the part, and ride ok. I've got them on a few other bikes.
Old 12-19-20, 06:41 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
GB Cypres 30mm. But the only other clinchers I use are Panaracer Pasela 32mm, a low bar.
Old 12-19-20, 06:43 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Nishiki TriA with 700x25 Conti GP4000SII - I tried to fit a 28 but it will rub the frame.
Centurion Pro Tour 15 with 700x28 GP4000SII.
4 flat experience on both with 10k plus miles - the path/roads I drive are pretty nice to ride.
I got two flats when I went for a 140 mile loop Seattle, Tacoma, Olympic Peninsula, Mukilteo this past Fall.
Got the GP5000s but didn't have chance to install them yet.
Old 12-19-20, 06:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Vittoria Corsa G+ and i am currently using them on my '94 Phil Wood in 700x25c and have used them on my Titanium road bike in the past but got lazy and haven't switched back after what I thought was a deep cut made me want to swap out to another Vitorria Graphene tire though I will eventually swap back probably in spring since these tires on currently are a little more winter ready. Though I am partial to anything with a good tan wall personally and any open tubular designs.
Old 12-19-20, 07:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Continental Grand Prix Classic skinwalls, 700x25 only. Retro tread design with up to date materials. Outstanding tire for the money and good looking if you don't mind the reddish-brown sidewalls. Durable, grippy, smooth rolling, low rolling resistance. Other than being a tight fit in my Ironman I can't find a thing to fault with these tires after a year and a half on two bikes. After the raised center tread wears down a bit it doesn't rub on the rear brake bridge. Switching brakes, or filing down the bridge would help but I haven't done either yet. No problems clearing my other road bikes.

My current favorite go-fast tire is the Soma Supple Vitesse SL, 700x23, light brown skinwalls. Best lightweight tire I've ridden, tougher than the Schwalbe One V-Guards I used to ride, better grip, better on chipseal... just a better tire in every way.

And I'm switching my road bikes to latex tubes. Really helps tame the road chatter on chipseal. Supposedly less rolling resistance but I'm mostly after the comfort. I still carry one or two butyl tubes for flat repairs, but have successfully patched a latex tube.
Old 12-19-20, 08:56 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I have the green stripe version on my Eddy Merckx. It's very grippy and has a smooth ride combined with low rolling resistance.

2 votes, but generally I just want something with air in it.
Green stripe on my Fiorini, blue stripe is going on my Paramount.
Ditto on the replacement; there’s a close skin wall+color version that I want for my lady’s Merckx.
Not my favorite.

Veloflex Master. For the ride smoothness. 25c.
I wish I could afford to put them on all my bikes, but they don’t wear so well and it cuts into my hookers and blow budget.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-24-20 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-19-20, 11:37 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
My favorite tires; we both approve this message:

They are decently hard-wearing, provide a supple ride and great bite when leaning hard into a corner. I've used both 23 and 25mm versions and the 25s are great on gravel, too. I've cut one here and there, but overall they aren't too prone to cuts in my experience. Plus they go up to 145psi; I normally run mine at 120 so it looks like I've lots of wiggle room. They go on and come off my rims relatively easily with or without tire levers.

Once I find something that works I tend to make the full conversion; today all my riders are wearing some version of Vittoria Open Corsa. Thanks to gomango for suggesting these in a thread a long, long time ago as new tires worthy of vintage rigs

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-22-20 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-20-20, 02:49 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I am with seedsbelize and Vittoria Open Paves, 27mm. I have them on my Soma Smoothie, Campy Zonda with Vittoria latex tubes. I am going to try the Open Corsa at some point.
Old 12-20-20, 03:12 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
On the crappy roads here in Cambodia, My Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are great. The Timex of tires, "takes a licking and keeps on ticking". Most of my bikes have some type of Schwalbe tires on them, Marathon Plus, Marathon Plus Tour, Big Apples, 635ERTO Delta Cruisers, 700c Delta Cruiser Plus, might be others
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 12-20-20, 08:11 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 377 Posts
I use Vittoria Rubino Pros (23) on all my bikes. Easy to mount, long lasting and very puncture resistant.
Old 12-20-20, 08:46 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
For my budget, Panaracer Pasella with or without tour guard. I also like the set of Bontrager Race Lites I bought as take offs for $20 from a guy on Craigslist. The Race Lites are 25c and make the Medici roll real nicely. I usually go a bit wider but these are just right for the type of bike they are on. They are a bit pricey for me when new so probably won’t buy more unless a similar deal comes along. Funny, I have two other sets of Bontrager tires, new , never ridden looking for bikes that were given to me. They are 28c(perfect) just like the tires that are on my Windsor Pro , so I am set. My 27” tire bikes will all be replaced with Panaracer when the time comes.
Old 12-20-20, 10:22 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Me - then a 'near Clyde' at almost 100kg. (220 lbs) - now 195 lbs
Bike - 1986 Miyata 710

I only have one 700c bike - my '86 Miyata 710. This was my Arizona bike - kept out in Phoenix at my mother's so when I'd visit her I'd have something to do when she napped in the afternoons... When I bought it, it had a 23mm wire-bead Vittoria Zaffiro in front, and a flat 25mm somethingorother on the rear. The LBS only had ONE Vittoria Randonneur 28 in stock (and $60! ) , so I put that on the rear -- temporarily. It rode like a truck. Sluggish and dead. I thought to myself that I had bought a lemon - I thought Miyata was a good bike... I was disappointed. Hmmmmm...

As bought - kinda. New rear tire, new saddle

On my next visit to see mom, I brought along a bunch of parts to refurb the bike. Tires, tubes, cables, dual-pivot brakes, SunTour barcons, bar tape. When changing out the tires, I found out WHY it rode like a truck - the front tire was fitted with a heavy thorn-proof tube filled completely with Slime, and the 28mm Randonneur I had on the rear weighed as much (502g) as both of the new tires I had brought along. I had fitted it with Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech III - 150tpi (280g each) and a puncture-resistant belt under the tread. Those tires are discontinued, I believe, not sure what replaced it. Had initially put 28/28 on it due to the rough 'cobble-pebble' road surfaces out there -- it is so hot in the summer out there that the tar binder in the pavement goes away and leaves the pebble aggregate behind. I settled on inflation pressures of 85f/95r to balance ride comfort and speed. Anyway, the 28 front tire left only 1mm clearance at the fork bridge. I had also bought a pair of 25s (260g ea) at the same time, just in case the 28s wouldn't work.

Mom passed a few years ago, and I shipped the Miyata back home to the Cleveland area...

So after I got a pinch flat on the front this year - concrete chunk that I couldn't see on the shoulder of a concrete surface train track overpass on my dim dawn commute - I put one of the the 25s up front, and still running a 28 on the rear. Now with the 25 up front I have 3-4mm clearance at the fork bridge. Still ~90psi(f) / 95(r)

BTW, the original wheelset was replaced this in June of this year with a set of 36h Mavic Open Pro laced to DuraAce 7400 hubs with 15/16ga Sapim stainless butted spokes. VERY LIGHT wheels at 770g front without skewer, and 882g rear without skewer or freewheel.

The ride now is a night-and-day difference from when I bought it!

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 12-20-20 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-20-20, 10:48 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Me - then a 'near Clyde' at almost 100kg. (220 lbs) - now 195 lbs
Bike - 1986 Miyata 710

I only have one 700c bike - my '86 Miyata 710. This was my Arizona bike - kept out in Phoenix at my mother's so when I'd visit her I'd have something to do when she napped in the afternoons... When I bought it, it had a 23mm wire-bead Vittoria Zaffiro in front, and a flat 25mm somethingorother on the rear. The LBS only had ONE Vittoria Randonneur 28 in stock (and $60! ) , so I put that on the rear -- temporarily. It rode like a truck. Sluggish and dead. I thought to myself that I had bought a lemon - I thought Miyata was a good bike... I was disappointed. Hmmmmm...

As bought - kinda. New rear tire, new saddle

On my next visit to see mom, I brought along a bunch of parts to refurb the bike. Tires, tubes, cables, dual-pivot brakes, SunTour barcons, bar tape. When changing out the tires, I found out WHY it rode like a truck - the front tire was fitted with a heavy thorn-proof tube filled completely with Slime, and the 28mm Randonneur I had on the rear weighed as much (502g) as both of the new tires I had brought along. I had fitted it with Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech III - 150tpi (280g each) and a puncture-resistant belt under the tread. Those tires are discontinued, I believe, not sure what replaced it. Had initially put 28/28 on it due to the rough 'cobble-pebble' road surfaces out there -- it is so hot in the summer out there that the tar binder in the pavement goes away and leaves the pebble aggregate behind. I settled on inflation pressures of 85f/95r to balance ride comfort and speed. Anyway, the 28 front tire left only 1mm clearance at the fork bridge. I had also bought a pair of 25s (260g ea) at the same time, just in case the 28s wouldn't work.

Mom passed a few years ago, and I shipped the Miyata back home to the Cleveland area...

So after I got a pinch flat on the front this year - concrete chunk that I couldn't see on the shoulder of a concrete surface train track overpass on my dim dawn commute - I put one of the the 25s up front, and still running a 28 on the rear. Now with the 25 up front I have 3-4mm clearance at the fork bridge. Still ~90psi(f) / 95(r)

BTW, the original wheelset was replaced this in June of this year with a set of 36h Mavic Open Pro laced to DuraAce 7400 hubs with 15/16ga Sapim stainless butted spokes. VERY LIGHT wheels at 770g front without skewer, and 882g rear without skewer or freewheel.

The ride now is a night-and-day difference from when I bought it!
Excellent narrative, tires can make an enormous difference in the performance and character of a bike. I also put the Rubino Pro Tech on a bike that was going to see some hardpack gravel along with pavement use. Another excellent tire.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-20-20 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-20-20, 10:53 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by gearbasher
I use Vittoria Rubino Pros (23) on all my bikes. Easy to mount, long lasting and very puncture resistant.
Another excellent tire, better puncture protection than the Corsa but still light and smooth feeling.

Old 12-20-20, 11:00 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv

Yes, it was a great tire.

Old pics, but I've used it on a couple of bikes in the last few years.

IMG_6541 by Grady Linehan, on Flickr

IMG_3458 by Grady Linehan, on Flickr
Likes For gomango:
Old 12-20-20, 11:08 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
The bikes I’ve ridden the most this year have Compass 38mm tires, Compass 35mm tires, and Gravel King 32mm tires. All good.

Same here.

I use the GK on my Black Mountain Monstercross for commuting and it's been a champ.

FWIW I've been downsizing/consolidating the bike collection this year, but I also think I've upgraded considerably.

For instance, my new to me Moots Routt 45 takes the RH Snoqualmie Pass (700x44) as if it was made for this bike.

I ride 90% on country roads and gravel at this point. Great tire!

I also use a Bruce Gordon Rock n Road on this bike and that one is superb as well.

Last edited by gomango; 12-20-20 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-20-20, 11:14 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
Big fan of both Vittoria Rubinos and Zaffiros..
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 12-20-20, 12:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Biggest tire that will fit properly, preferrably a light casing from Panaracer. These are labelled Compass Rene Herse, Rivendell, and other brands.

On my Zero Bike, I have room for 35's without fenders. Since that bike resides in the People's Republic of Berkeley, it doesn't have fenders. Pic from last year's TdMIL, by calender almost one year ago, but feels like ten:

My purpose built gravel bike has Rat Trap Pass tires, which are insanely wide (54mm).

On vintage frames you generally have larger clearances for wider tires. Generally speaking the older the frame, the larger the clearances. Somewhere in the 70's the trend towards shorter chainstays and fork blades started. I've found that some frames can't fit 35's. I have one bike with 32's, but can really feel the difference due to smaller volume. Enter the Jack Brown's, measuring 33 1/3, sold by Rivendell. The weight is both claimed and weighed personally by me to be almost exactly between the Rene Herse 32's and 35's. The casing looks exactly the same. The tread is different, but I'm of the opinion that this is such a minor difference that only a person with the initials Jan Heine could notice. I have these on a couple of bikes.

Grander Sportier:

Pimp Eroica Grand Sport:

The Jack Browns are truly Goldilock tires. The ride difference between 32's and 33 1/3 is definitely perceptible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.