Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1986) MIYATA 210

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-22, 08:56 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts

From Bicycle Guide, Mar 1986.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 05-11-22, 11:23 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Excellent read!
Old 05-12-22, 05:40 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Very thoughtfully designed and appointed. I agree with the reviewers about the half-step gearing. The chainstays could be a little longer, for better weight distribution and heel clearance with panniers.
Likes For old's'cool:
Old 05-12-22, 09:00 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I especially enjoy reading about C / V brands and models of bikes when I actually have one very near to the subject of the review. I have a 1985 Miyata 210 and find it to be a very nice bike. I have it set up for “day touring” and sadly, haven’t done much of that with it. (Perhaps this season!) Was a bit distressed to read that the ‘85 SunTour groupset was “kicked to the curb” and replaced with Shimano components. Won’t deny that the Shimano stuff might be an improvement but I do find the SunTour components certainly adequate and most definitely won’t be “upgrading”.
Thanks to the OP for posting the review!
Likes For sovende:
Old 05-12-22, 01:51 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I especially enjoy reading about C / V brands and models of bikes when I actually have one very near to the subject of the review. I have a 1985 Miyata 210 and find it to be a very nice bike. I have it set up for “day touring” and sadly, haven’t done much of that with it. (Perhaps this season!) Was a bit distressed to read that the ‘85 SunTour groupset was “kicked to the curb” and replaced with Shimano components. Won’t deny that the Shimano stuff might be an improvement but I do find the SunTour components certainly adequate and most definitely won’t be “upgrading”.
Thanks to the OP for posting the review!
I have a bunch of suntour and some light action as well. We're it not for the additional weight I might prefer the light action
Old 05-13-22, 08:07 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I have a bunch of suntour and some light action as well. We're it not for the additional weight I might prefer the light action
Another reason for not “upgrading” my Miyata 210 is to maintain its nearly bone stock condition! I do have a late ‘80s Schwinn that has a Shimano Light Action RD and will be quick to admit that it does shift nicely and perhaps even better that the SunTour RD on the Miyata .
Old 05-13-22, 09:23 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
I like the way the light action shifts, but wonder about durability. A co-op short cage one I have had the parallelogram tension spring pop out of place turning the unit floppy and useless. I could see no way to get the spring reattached with its location. I saw another floppy one at the co-op too. I wouldn’t want it to happen on a ride. Pretty derailleur though and it is indeed light shifting. The 210 is a real value too, as is the 215GT.
Old 09-27-22, 06:14 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
What a delightful find! An old Miyata 210 of this exact model year was my first “quality” bike, acquired at the secondhand bike shop near the university back in December 2004. I made a couple small changes, mostly removing the original levers and padding for aero levers and vinyl bar tape, plus adding a set of fenders and some new tires. I otherwise kept it in stock condition when my friend and I set off up the Maine coast the following summer. We got most of the way to Mount Desert Island but my knee paid the price for the gearing and we had to abandon the trip a week in. It was indeed a very nice, lively ride that behaved fairly well when loaded (it was a bit flexible for the weight I had loaded up on both ends) but was plenty of fun when unencumbered. Sadly I only got about a year and a half out of it. First the original fork rusted out and failed - only the front rack held it together. It took me a day or so to realize why it was vibrating so badly under braking! Luckily the cranky old guy at the local bike shop had an old Nishiki fork that fit, and he liked me, so I got that fixed up. But not long after that, I ran into the back of a convertible at a traffic light when I had my head down and bent up the front end. I replaced it with a Surly LHT - a good bike, but it was a little like going from a Honda Fit to a Chevy Suburban. Similar cargo capacity, but a rather different driving experience. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Kittery, Maine, 2005.
Likes For grolby:
Old 09-28-22, 11:33 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 859 Posts
I have one of these bikes tucked away, but in beautiful gold paint, 58cm and in brand-new condition.
Almost too nice to ride and the tires are also even still original so it just hangs there.
The paint quality is quite something, would do justice to a high-end bike.

I had two such identical bikes, but sold the more used one over ten years ago. Rode the one I still have just one time.

Touring bikes literally flooded into our foothills thrift stores during the early 2000's.
Some, like one clean blue 1977 Miyata 1000, went out the back door with a FREE sign on it!

For actual riding, my Six-Ten , Seral and Parabola are always waiting for their next on- and off-road adventure.
Old 09-28-22, 02:35 PM
trucklet
good cheap fun

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
Great reading as usual. I've run into a couple light action derailleurs at the co-op before and always wondered what the cable saver arm was meant for!
Old 09-28-22, 03:30 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by trucklet
Great reading as usual. I've run into a couple light action derailleurs at the co-op before and always wondered what the cable saver arm was meant for!
I think it was meant for popping out the parallelogram spring, never to be reattached.