Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Would you replace these tires?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-22, 12:58 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I never know how I should proceed with tires that are showing deterioration on the sidewalls. These are Continental 29er tires and as you can see, the threads are making an appearance on the sidewall. Is the integrity of the tire compromised at this point? The tread area is good.
Old 08-29-22, 02:03 PM
to boldly go

Bikes: 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. It is not uncommon to see the tread area intact while the sidewall is dry-rotting for a variety of reasons including more modern multi-compound tires. I would recommend replacing these tires for safety reasons as soon as possible. Happy pedaling is best achieved when you don't have to worry about your tires blowing out unexpectedly.

If you see threads, replace those treads!
-to boldly go
Old 08-29-22, 04:42 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
If you feel it necessary to ask, the answer is clear. Replace them. Tire failure is a nuisance at best and a hazard at worst.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-29-22, 07:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Yes. Andy
Old 08-30-22, 03:17 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk25
I never know how I should proceed with tires that are showing deterioration on the sidewalls. These are Continental 29er tires and as you can see, the threads are making an appearance on the sidewall. Is the integrity of the tire compromised at this point? The tread area is good.
Maybe it is the angle of the photo but it looks like zero wear on the tread. How long have these tires sat on these rims without being ridden?
Old 08-30-22, 03:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I wouldn't replace them for what is on the sidewalls under normal circumstances. However if one of my next few rides is going to be really important to me or is in places I don't normally go then I might replace them. I've never had a blow out that amounted to anything more than stopping the bike and having to fix the flat, walk it home or call for a family member to come get me. Never any indications that I might have been calling for an ambulance trip to the hospital as it seems some fear.

But since you had to ask, I do think you ought to go ahead and change it. You should develop your decision on when to change the tire slowly over time and experience behind you.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-30-22, 03:40 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
If you feel it necessary to ask, the answer is clear. Replace them. Tire failure is a nuisance at best and a hazard at worst.
Heh, in my case, I never thought to ask until the LBS said, "Hey, your tires are looking pretty worn. You should think about replacing them."

Yeah yeah, whatever!

Last week, for no apparent reason I can see (goatheads, thorns, nails, glass, etc.) my front tube decides to go. Seems that it popped right at the seam, near the valve stem. Really happy that didn't happen about 30 minutes earlier, on the 35 mph descent section of my commute.

And now for the joy of hunting down 26" slicks without resorting to mail order. And tubes.
Old 08-30-22, 03:49 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Maybe it is the angle of the photo but it looks like zero wear on the tread. How long have these tires sat on these rims without being ridden?
You’re right. Almost no wear. I just bought the bike used so I have no idea how long it’s been sitting. I swapped out the tires.
Old 08-30-22, 04:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
I'd probably buy the replacement soon, but put it aside and continue on the existing tire until it shows a more compelling reason to replace it.

When thinking about things like this, I make a decision box to weigh both the risk of an event and the consequences. So consider----

The pattern of "damage/wear/rot" seems to indicate an older tire with the rubber somewhat hardened and ridden at low pressure causing cosmetic cracking at the flex point. In itself, this doesn't matter as long as the body plies are intact, as shown by a tire that spins true, with no wobble or lumps. So, the risk if sudden failure is fairly low, but long term life may be compromised if/when water enters the fabric and damages it. (a slow but very steady process)

That said, even a low risk can be unacceptable depending on the potential consequences, so let's consider ---

Are you riding roads, maybe with long high speed descents? How far from home do you ride, and are you willing to risk a long walk home, however unlikely? Lastly consider managing the potential consequences by moving the tire to the rear wheel, where a sudden blowout (not that likely) probably won't cause a crash. (are you a fairly skilled bike handler?

Throw the above considerations into a box, shake hard, and see how things fall.

FWIW- those of us who are road riders, especially those who use tubulars, often ride on tires far worse that this, and have also experienced very inconvenient blowouts (even on beautiful tires) and we're still here. Stuff happens, and riding always carries some risk.

IMO -- In the scheme of things using this tire isn't unreasonable. but you're the captain of this ship and have to make your own decision.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: