Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Spat at, abused and run off the road

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Spat at, abused and run off the road

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 09:27 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
the look of being "older" does seem to factor in, as in, the more prune like look, the less likely to be bothered.
Every town has a "Professor Mc Nuttly" ours has a long white beard, and rides a 'bent with a flag (actually at least two; a highracer and one with a faring) Guy is fearless; I've seen him on roads I'd be wary of on anything less than a 500cc moto.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-30-22, 11:14 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
...separated and protected bike lanes where cars can't enter unless they try really hard.
How on earth do you do that with driveways and intersections?

Here's an example local to me. Drivers can't see this rider very well behind the row of parked cars and could turn right into their path trying to enter a driveway or turn right.
Old 08-31-22, 12:07 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
How on earth do you do that with driveways and intersections?

Here's an example local to me. Drivers can't see this rider very well behind the row of parked cars and could turn right into their path trying to enter a driveway or turn right.
....they put in one of those as an experiment on about ten blocks of downtown J street here. It's truly awful. Besides the never swept aspect of it, it confuses the pedestrians who want to cross the street. So every block, there are people milling around in the bike lane, waiting for the light to change, so they can cross. It seems like a wonderful idea to park those cars out there next to the traffic lanes, with the bike lane interior to them. But in practice it doesn't work very well. I now take alternate, parallel streets, instead of J street.
Old 08-31-22, 12:22 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....take alternate, parallel streets, instead of J street.
This.
Improve the side streets that have a much slower MPH set, & put in signs that "Yield to cyclists" for those streets intersecting with like streets.
Old 08-31-22, 12:44 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Troul
This.
Improve the side streets that have a much slower MPH set, & put in signs that "Yield to cyclists" for those streets intersecting with like streets.
Unfortunately, where I live, most of the slower roads don't go all the way through. Probably a good thing too, as the one that does go through near my home gets people speeding well over the 25mph limit, even over speed humps! But that would make a severely zig zaggy route for any cyclist and still not connect to anywhere more than a couple miles away without joining the major streets for a good while.

I also have my doubts about signs doing anything. If I got a nickel for every time I was close passed or honked at within feet of a "share the road" sign, or a car rolled past a stop sign into my path...
Old 08-31-22, 12:53 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
The problem is the parking.

On street parking + bike lane = disaster. The same concept works very well absent the row of parked cars adjecent to the bike lane, however. This is from a recent vacation in La Coruna, Spain - note they took one lane of the road and turned it into bike lane, so you don't have the problem of the edge of the road with a cruddy surface being repurposed. They've mostly exiled car parking to underground garages, which really makes the place a lot more compact and walkable / liveable.

Likes For Branko D:
Old 08-31-22, 01:03 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
As for drivers directing their ire at cyclists... unfortunately, I can see why it happens. Going through red lights, ignoring yield rules, riding side by side (not legal here) and starting an argument or a row when someone complains instead of saying "sorry", and in general - responding aggressively to real or perceived slights. Not all of us, and not all the time, but enough to influence perception negatively (just like the rare hostile driver will often make cyclists rage at drivers in general). Chill out, whether you're on the bike or in the car - there's no reason to be rude or combative.

We may not like to acknowledge it, but some of "us" act like dicks in traffic.

Last edited by Branko D; 08-31-22 at 01:06 AM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 08-31-22, 01:24 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Or better reporting.
I’m talking specifically about collisions with cyclists and pedestrians, not aggressive driving, road rage, etc.

I assume the former has always been pretty well documented and tallied.
Old 08-31-22, 02:39 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 338 Posts
If you want a good laugh read the article linked below that one in "Related stories": CyclingMikey
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...in-roads-safer
I read that back in January but forgot the name.

And here's the guys YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm6...2ku4lPd-155-Vw
Old 08-31-22, 02:50 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Playing devil's advocate here, but more people could simply = more accidents. The way to determine that would be to calculate if a higher percentage of the population is getting in accidents.
The road is a very non-linear domain. We had a natural experiment early in COVID in many jurisdictions when motor vehicle miles dropped a lot but road fatalities did not.

This is not a criticism of taking into account exposure, but a reminder that predictions from simplistic data analysis may be completely incorrect. Predictions based on highly sophisticated data analysis may also be completely incorrect.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 08-31-22, 06:53 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
Only cyclists are hated but not commuters. Try to make yourself look like a commuter, wear bright colored loose clothing, and you'll face a lot less aggression on the road.
Do the tests, log the data, and show the results. Otherwise, i don't buy it.

When motorists see a cyclist with a full on road or race kit, they remember the huge group rides making it difficult and dangerous to pass and entitled hot-headed maniacs who don't use their brakes and fly through crowded areas with kids playing around at TdF speeds. The gloves, cycling eyewear, dark clothing all gives that "smug, superior" looks.
Again, I don't buy it. Over the decades I have ridden every kind of bike in every kind of clothing and do not see these correlations. Also, in many areas, drivers have never seen large groups of riders doing a double paceline, claiming a lane.

I have tried riding shirtless in cargo shorts or in a tank top and denim shorts on a flatbar road bike, a mountain bike, and a road bike, and in kit on the same .... people seem to behave as they do based on the cyclist in front of them. Assuming all bad reactions are caused by flashbacks to the time they were threatened or impeded by a fast group ride is a bit of a stretch. particularly, because when I started riding in a large urban area, No one did group rides there.

I do understand why cyclists are quite timid at braking. The risk of endover accidents braking hard from high speed and braking too often can wear you down on very long rides and also reduce your average speed.
What??!! Cyclists are timid about braking because they might endo? On which planet? Are You afraid to hit the brakes because you will crash? Sorry, this would be bad science if it even approached the minimal requirement for science. And braking can wear you down? How is it that braking tires you out. If I sat on my bike in my garage and held the brakes for an hour, yeas, my hands would get tired ... but in my limited experience it is Pedaling, not braking which causes most fatigue while riding.

Cyclists are sometimes unwilling to stop because they want to conserve momentum, (while shouting "Strava! Strava!" I am told) but most riders who run lights and try to snake through intersections are just being inconsiderate are don't realize that their behavior might come back to bite them. But I am pretty sure that Most drivers are simply upset that they have to slow down At All for a vehicle they do not believe belongs on the road At All.

I have been doing this for many decades .... and while I have not done it scientifically (no data, no control) I have paid attention which is the only way to survive five-plus decades of street riding ....

But giving courtesy a higher priority than maximizing your average speed on rides will go a long way in reducing tension in the road and improving the collective image of cyclists. Slow down when approaching blind spots, crowded areas, and rows of houses along the road. But it would seem many cyclists are far too entitled to see this. All they care about is their image on Strava.
yes .... and in fact, I and I think every road rider who has to face tough traffic regularly learns these thing ... or get hit too often to keep riding. The Strava nuts don't usually make segments where there are a lot of traffic lights. Not a lot of downtown segments .....

But yes ... I realize that when I ride I do represent all riders ... to some people. i do try to represent well ... and I also realize that some drivers are just richard-heads, and some are just having bad days and making bad choices, and I have personal experience with all that ... being richard, having bad days, making bad decisions .....

The color of my shirt is not going to change any of that. My sunglasses or lack thereof, my helmet and gloves or lacks thereof, are not going to change any of that. people are not reacting to "that cyclist in the race-cut jersey with a big team name, expensive shades, an aero helmet, expensive gloves, Rapha bibs, and Shimano shoes .... In my experience, drivers are reacting to anyone who in any form impedes their progress on a Road, where only Cars belong, or if bikes are going to be there ... they had best keep out of the way.

Obviously your mileage has varied.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-31-22, 07:03 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Disagree. Strongly.

I avoid the bicycle ghettos whenever possible.

Edit: Here's an example of a bicycle ghetto, recently installed on a local road. Who would actually want to ride there?

McClellan Rd bicycle ghetto, Cupertino, CA
Originally Posted by terrymorse
A large problem with bicycle ghettos is that motorists think that cyclists are required to ride there, making some motorists angry when they see a cyclist legally riding on the roadway.

Causing even more motorist hostility.

Then there's the other annoying stuff:

often insufficient room to pass
often no way to avoid road debris
they are debris collectors
no way to avoid wrong way riders
homeowners who place their bins there on pickup day
Emphatic yes.

Worst possible situation. The curb is just tall enough that if you sideswipe it trying to avoid crap in the lane (including other riders coming head-on (whether they should be there or not, it still hurts if you hit them--and including riders you want to pass who freak out and swerve whether you warn them repeatedly or not) you are almost certainly going to crash Into traffic, and be lying on your back or side looking at the car which is about to run over your head. Tried that, don't need a repeat, thanks.

Also, if you are carrying panniers, those poles are perfect to snatch at the outer edge if you try to avoid hitting the leaves, sand, branches, broken glass, auto-accident debris, potholes, etc. which wend up in the (always unswept) bike lane.

Further notice that the road drains into the bike lane? Where does the bike lane drain? Oh, it doesn't. That means on rainy days you are riding in puddles, which is very dangerous because you might not see the sand bar which is about to slide and shift and dump you when you hit it. Ad after every rain, all the debris which has washed off the road .... ends up in the bike lane.

Head-on riders (salmon) are one of the worst things, because I hate to discourage anyone from riding a bike, but if there is a bike lane, what then? I usually end up giving way and taking the traffic lane because I know i can handle it better than the probably less-experienced novice who hasn't figured out to read the laws ... or hasn't even considered that there may be laws governing cycling .... but when there is nowhere to go ....

That was my observation as well.

A good compromise I think is using barrier posts 20 ft apart. This way, you can still swerve in and out of the bike lane and still discourage motorists from driving on the bike lane.
twenty feet is plenty of room for a driver to swerve into the bike lane. But I agree, poles alone without a curb would be a safer option.
Old 08-31-22, 07:13 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
If you want a good laugh read the article linked below that one in "Related stories": CyclingMikey
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...in-roads-safer
I read that back in January but forgot the name.

And here's the guys YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm6...2ku4lPd-155-Vw
And here are some other "facts": Apparently there are Not "1800" cycling deaths in the UK each year.

I wondered about all that because I know US deaths run about 700-1000 per anum. Turns out that 141 cyclists died in the UK as a result of accidents in 2020. Not sure where these people get their figures ... any of them.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...great-britain/
https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...factsheet-2020

Not that I oppose what this guy is doing---I would definitely sign up to be a bicycle deputy and film drivers if such a job existed--and I knew my footage would be treated as evidence in court.
Old 08-31-22, 08:46 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Is this the A & S forum? I must have clicked the wrong tab. I was looking for General.
Old 08-31-22, 08:47 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
moved to A&S from General
Old 08-31-22, 09:41 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 788 Posts
One sees this attitude (shooting all cyclists) mostly in larger cities. I think cyclists not obeying traffic laws is a significant factor. When a cyclist does a maneuver that causes motorists to slam on their brakes, that pisses you off over time. I'm not putting all the blame on cyclists, but I think stopping for red lights and stop signs would go a long way, as well as doing what you can to not slow people down. BTW, motorist are not the only ones that don't like being slowed down....that's why there are so many accidents on MUPs, so for cyclists to say motorists should be more patient....that's pretty hypocritical and a little

Around here in Jacksonville, supposedly one of the deadliest cities in one of the deadliest states in the USA, I don't see much road rage directed at me. Quite the opposite, get people that say similar things to me as the opening paragraph in the OP's link.

I felt like a bit of a legend when I started cycling in London 18 years ago. Everyone was always congratulating me on my bravery. “Oh, you wouldn’t catch me on a bike,” people would say if they spotted my helmet or the cycling shorts peeking out beneath my dress. “Far too dangerous.”
People are always asking me, stuff like, "how long you been riding", "how many miles you do per day"... The people that ask these questions have seen me on the roads countless times. I've even been offered food in drinks while waiting at stop lights I always feel a little awkward when they do that.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 08-31-22, 09:47 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Is this the A & S forum? I must have clicked the wrong tab. I was looking for General.
It's been moved. Thanks so much for your help, Karen.

Now you can read all the dumpster diving and "what is your favorite bike tool color?" threads without the distraction of anything that might actually matter.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-31-22, 10:22 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
I wonder if people even know I'm riding with cameras. They're not very large and are also lights.
Where are they mounted? If they're on your bars, they probably won't be seen. If your rear camera is also a light, it might be interpreted as only a light. My helmet camera sticks out like a sore thumb, and I've had people comment on it, so I know it's visible.

----------------------

The US desperately needs nationalized driving standards. Having it on a state-by-state basis is very confusing. I live in KCMO, so I often cross the state line into Kansas. Here are some notable differences between the states:

1. How much space must a car give when overtaking?
  • KS: 3 feet
  • MO: A "safe distance" (not specified); Exception: In Lee's Summit, MO they have a city ordinance requiring 4 feet.
2. Where should a cyclist ride in the lane?
  • KS: As far to the right hand side of the roadway as practicable
  • MO: As far to the right hand side of the roadway as is safe; Exception: Lee's Summit, MO specifies that a cyclist may use the center of the lane just because.
3. Does a cyclist have to use a bike lane?
  • KS: Yes, if usable.
  • MO: No; Exception: KCMO requires it if the bike lane is usable.
4. Can a motorist use a handheld electronic device while operating a motor vehicle?
  • KS: No
  • MO: Yes if you're 21 or older.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 08-31-22, 10:27 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
All of the posted photos of urban cyclists and big city bike lanes are making me sooo glad to live in a small rural city. I ride 1/4 mile out of my quiet neighborhood and hit a little-traveled paved county road...Or if I go the other direction, I can hit gravel and not leave it for an entire ride. It's not uncommon for me to do 30 miles and get passed by only a handful of vehicles.
Old 08-31-22, 10:33 AM
Maelochs

Couple things----I always look at "Share the road" as a shared goal .... I will pull over (when it is safe) to let cars by, or wave them ahead if I can .... if they are ahead of me it is harder for them to hit me, and if they are behind me and frustrated, then there are cars full of frustrated drivers behind them, too, probably .... which is wrong. We all have places we want to be and all of us want the smoothest possible journey (unless I am riding off-road.)

I have done a few multi-state tours and have research the Uniform Traffic Codes of about 38 states .... all are Very similar with a few small differences and all the ones I looked at have an item about using the far right side of the far lane except when .... with a list of reasons, including debris and such. So basically, every state I researched allows cyclists to take the lane when it is necessary ....

I checked Kansas as an example:
8-1590. Riding on bicycles or mopeds; riding on roadways and bicycle paths. (a) Every person operating a bicycle or a moped upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, except under any of the following situations when: (1) Overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction; (2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway; or (3) reasonably necessary to avoid conditions including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving bicycles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards or narrow width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand edge of the roadway. (Emphasis added.)

Pretty much every state says this.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-31-22, 10:47 AM
TLit

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I'm not a high mileage bicyclist and have not had adversarial reactions from drivers. No uniform or special clothing, so I don't really stand out much. I am a cautious bicyclist, tend to hug the side of the road.
Old 08-31-22, 10:52 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
I'm not sure if it is just select states or a federal thing, but if the "Work Zone Laws" could be applied to protect cyclists (not just within a workzone), it would be a great start in protecting the lives of riders.
Andy's Law broadened in 2008. Public Acts 296 and 297 of 2008 impose fines of up to $7,500 and 15 years in jail for motorists who injure or kill ANYONE in a road construction work zone. Previously, under Andy's Law, similar penalties were applicable if a motorist injured or killed a road worker.

House Bill 4468 (2008 PA 296), introduced by Rep. Pam Byrnes, extends the penalties to motorists who hit anyone in a work zone, and House Bill 4469 (2008 PA 297), introduced by Rep. Barb Byrum, provides sentencing guidelines for motorists who cause injury or death to another person in a work zone.
Originally Posted by Koyote
All of the posted photos of urban cyclists and big city bike lanes are making me sooo glad to live in a small rural city. I ride 1/4 mile out of my quiet neighborhood and hit a little-traveled paved county road...Or if I go the other direction, I can hit gravel and not leave it for an entire ride. It's not uncommon for me to do 30 miles and get passed by only a handful of vehicles.
I would rather have that too, enjoy it!
Old 08-31-22, 11:01 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by JW Fas
Where are they mounted? If they're on your bars, they probably won't be seen. If your rear camera is also a light, it might be interpreted as only a light. My helmet camera sticks out like a sore thumb, and I've had people comment on it, so I know it's visible.
Yes, in front of the handlebar and coming out from the seatpost. I'm no longer fond of mounting anything on the helmet since it risks rotating it out of place in a crash, but I do recall when I used to commute with a helmet light and people asked if it was a camera.
Old 08-31-22, 11:02 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
I wonder if there is a market for cheap fake decoy helmet cams?
Old 08-31-22, 11:27 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I wonder if there is a market for cheap fake decoy helmet cams?
You can get budget cameras for under $100. If you want fake or decoy just don't turn it on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.