Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain Drop Pin

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain Drop Pin

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-22, 04:09 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Chain Drop Pin

me again
​​​​​​ I got a chain ring from my LBS. For not too much.
I didn’t notice the anti drop pin doesn’t line up with the arm.
I’m thinking one option is to drill /tap /lock tite in a short M5 pan head screw - behind the arm.
Barring that, is trailing the crank a better location than leading to avoid chain jamming?
thanks

Old 09-08-22, 04:33 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Isn't the pin supposed to be on the other side? Like you installed the ring flopped? But the graphics look like they should be the way to installed it. Hmmmm?
Old 09-08-22, 05:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
Isn't the pin supposed to be on the other side? Like you installed the ring flopped? But the graphics look like they should be the way to installed it. Hmmmm?
Nope.

The pins go between the crank arm and the chainring.

5 bolt spiders can either have one bolt hidden behind the arm, or can have the spider clocked so that all 5 arms are visible, which is what this ring is apparently designed for.

How does the pin attach to the chainring? Many of them were just drilled and tapped so you may be able to simply unscrew the pin. Tap and put it back in behind the crank arm if you wish.

I've ridden quite a bit without a chainring pin. As long as you rarely drop the chain to the outside, it doesn't really make a difference. Then if you do drop a chain, fix it rather than grinding the chain in.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-08-22, 05:38 PM
CliffordK

Oh, also note, your countersink is likely on the wrong side behind the crank arm. I suppose that would be on the middle ring.

How does your chain ride and shift, probably on the inner tiny ring?

Also make sure the spacers for that ring are OK.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-08-22, 07:42 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Thanks for the comments.
The pin looks riveted or swagged (I think that’s the process to deform metal pins).
I’ll ride with it for a bit as is, and see if I screw things up.
I looked at drilling the ring behind the crank. The ring is some what contoured where I’d need to drill. I can see how I’d screw it up.
Old 09-08-22, 08:16 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
If you managed to fit a plastic chain guard on the outer ring, it would prevent both pant staining and chain drop to the outside.
Old 09-09-22, 12:18 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Nope.

The pins go between the crank arm and the chainring.

5 bolt spiders can either have one bolt hidden behind the arm, or can have the spider clocked so that all 5 arms are visible, which is what this ring is apparently designed for.

How does the pin attach to the chainring? Many of them were just drilled and tapped so you may be able to simply unscrew the pin. Tap and put it back in behind the crank arm if you wish.

I've ridden quite a bit without a chainring pin. As long as you rarely drop the chain to the outside, it doesn't really make a difference. Then if you do drop a chain, fix it rather than grinding the chain in.
Ah, yes, you're correct--I must've been being tired when reading the post.
Old 09-10-22, 08:36 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Shim washers

Follow up question not related to the drop pin
When I disassembled the chain rings, I failed to notice the shim washers falling on the floor and work bench.
Possibly I don’t need them if everything is shifting fine. But where do they go?
Do they shim the outer ring out? Or shim the middle ring toward the granny gear?
The gap to the granny gear is much bigger than the big to middle ring gap. So I’m thinking that’s where they go- if I have problems.
Thanks.
Likes For mrv:
Old 09-11-22, 08:24 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
When I disassembled the chain rings, I failed to notice the shim washers falling on the floor and work bench.
Possibly I don’t need them if everything is shifting fine. But where do they go?
Do they shim the outer ring out? Or shim the middle ring toward the granny gear?
The gap to the granny gear is much bigger than the big to middle ring gap. So I’m thinking that’s where they go- if I have problems.
Thanks.
Usually if you have shims from the factory they are needed but not always. If you find that everything works fine just leave it as is but don't lose the shims in case you find out you do need them and I can't say where they were supposed to be positioned as they can be used to space either chainring or even just as washers for the chainring bolts. Your new chainring may have solved any spacing issues that old one had.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-11-22, 08:50 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
If the two rings are spaced too closely, the chain on the smaller one may start rubbing or catching the larger one when you do not want it. If the spacing is too large, the chain may fall in-between and get stuck. Other than that, you do not really care, as the the derailleur positions are regulated by cable tension and stop screws.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 09-11-22, 10:33 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by mrv
I failed to notice the shim washers falling on the floor and work bench.
Try cross-chaining.
Small rear with the middle or small front.

You'll know if you need the washers!!!

Also make sure that you aren't bending the rings at the hidden bolt.

Many of the newer chainrings are designed with offset teeth. So, it is quite possible that a replacement ring will act differently than the original.
Likes For CliffordK: