Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cones

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 06:04 PM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Cones

I was servicing my rear wheel on a year 2000 Schwinn Frontier. I found that the cones are worn to kind of a sharp edge and need to be replaced. I have no idea of how to order these. Do I just measure the axle? I will probably replace the ball bearings also. Thanks!
Old 09-14-22, 06:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Do you have photos? The cones shouldn't distort, but can get pits which then tear up the ball bearings.

The easiest thing might be to go to your local bike shop to ask if they can match.

Wheels Manufacturing is one of the largest third party manufacturers of replacement cones.

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-cones.html
Old 09-14-22, 06:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
I was servicing my rear wheel on a year 2000 Schwinn Frontier.
More important is what brand is the hub
Old 09-14-22, 08:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
If the cones were OEM ones and they wore to the point of a sharp small end being sharp there's a lot of chance the cups are also worn. Do your homework as a replacement wheel can be the lower cost solution when dealing with decades old hub issues. One benefits from new spokes and rim too. Andy
Old 09-15-22, 08:10 AM
blingshock

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah like others have said, do you have images? Cones tend to pit, but I have never heard of them getting a "sharp edge". If they are actually that worn, it's best to get another wheel.
Old 09-15-22, 09:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Cones getting a "sharp edge" is just wear that has gone on for way too long. Steel is a material that can be molded and flowed by pressure and cycles of force. Forging is an example of this process done on purpose. With hub cones this deforming is usually from a way too loose a bearing adjustment and as the wheel revolves on the cones the slop increases the banging on the cone's ball track that the balls will do (as the wheel flops from one extreme to the other). This is a different process than what causes pits (and that is from work hardening of the ball track's surface and it's micro cracking, usually from a too tight bearing adjustment.) Andy
Old 09-15-22, 03:12 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Cones getting a "sharp edge" is just wear that has gone on for way too long. Steel is a material that can be molded and flowed by pressure and cycles of force. Forging is an example of this process done on purpose. With hub cones this deforming is usually from a way too loose a bearing adjustment and as the wheel revolves on the cones the slop increases the banging on the cone's ball track that the balls will do (as the wheel flops from one extreme to the other). This is a different process than what causes pits (and that is from work hardening of the ball track's surface and it's micro cracking, usually from a too tight bearing adjustment.) Andy
I'm having a hard time imagining a wear situation where the pitted cones have turned into rutted cones such that the small end of the cone is now a sharp edge. Such a cone set would really be totally trashed. But maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.
Old 09-15-22, 03:26 PM
blingshock

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
pictures would be great

Last edited by blingshock; 06-27-23 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-15-22, 07:32 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
These folks (Bike Parts USA) have the cheap axle kits that will probably work with your Schwinn hub. If you brought your Schwinn into a shop, this is what they'd use. If you get the axle too, you don't have to worry about threading. Bike Hub Parts
Old 09-15-22, 07:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by blingshock
That's exactly what I am picturing as well. At least 1 or 2 spokes would definitely break well before the cones get that worn, but then if the spokes started breaking, then the wheel would just not even be rideable at all, so I do not know how a wheel can even get to the point of "sharp" cone edges... unless OP had replaced the spokes before. But if OP has replaced spokes before, then he probably knows how to replace bearings and would not be asking this question in the first place...
Sorry but you are wrong. Spokes and cones are two rather different things that have different stresses and different failure modes, their overlap is both get worse with continuing use.

I will say that not knowing why stuff happens does not mean it won't happen. Andy
Old 09-17-22, 10:37 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by blingshock
At least 1 or 2 spokes would definitely break well before the cones get that worn.
What makes you say that? Cones wear due to badly adjusted hubs, lack of lubrication, and poor quality material. Spoke breakage is completely unrelated.
Old 09-17-22, 10:53 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
What makes you say that? Cones wear due to badly adjusted hubs, lack of lubrication, and poor quality material. Spoke breakage is completely unrelated.
+1
A dry, way over tightened cone may be destroyed on a trip around the block.