Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pay it forward...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pay it forward...

Old 01-04-08, 09:53 PM
Business810

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwoo
DOES ANYBODY WORK WITH A KIDS CHARITY?

You can tell them that you worked uphill 40 miles in both directions to get this running for them...needs minimal work and I missed the cutoff for Denver Kids donations this year. It's a cross between the 1st generation MTB's and dirt bike/BMX. Canti brakes: How cool is that!

Bob H. helped me I.D. this 1988 Schwinn Enduro that was made in Japan by Panasonic. I thought it would be nice to donate to a rugrat. I'll pay for shipping if somebody works with a kids' charity or knows of a needy little guy (Then again, maybe I'm a fool. Most kids would maybe think this is junk...or would they like it??)
There's a local shop here that was collecting donated bikes to give away to kids at Christmas. I'll stop by this weekend and see if they're still taking donations for this year. I think that's a pretty cool bike for a kid, but what do I know?
Old 01-27-08, 03:38 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
52t and 42t Stronglight Crank

Are we still doing this? I've been trying to figure out some of the stuff I have, and I've only been able to figure one out so far. I had to plea for help! Stronglight gave me the lowdown, and said I could quote any and all of it, so I'm just going to post what he said, because it's terrific information! It's quite a sales pitch for a not very special part, but I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out what it is, because there wasn't really markings on it.

It is a lower range Stronglight cotterless crank and I had its twin which indeed came mounted on a mid level early 1980s Peugeot which I had used for many thousands of miles as my commuter bike. I later gave the bike away to a someone in need of similar transportation, so it's probably still in use! The pedal threads would be for standard 9/16" x 20 (not French). And as I recall it also had tattered plastic dust covers which were 22.0 mm (NOT the obsolete Stronglight 23.35 mm) so threaded replacements are easy to fine, or of course simply the plastic push in type, just to keep the the extractor threads clean... and best of all this also means the cranks will accept standard modern crank extractor tool. The square tapered spindle used was the standard 118 mm length, as on most 1970s French double chainring cranks.

You'll notice the outer ring is permanently bonded to the crank arm. Not a good design really, since the ring cannot be replaced, but in this case the chainrings are actually so strong that these would probably last as long as the bike for which they were intended. The inner ring is 122 BCD so that one could be easily replaced with any commonly found Stronglight chainring, and it is usually the smaller rings which will get the most wear... in my case, it never seemed to wear, anyway.

So, nothing fancy about these cranks, but certainly practical and durable and best of all without a lot of the quirks of earlier French threaded crank sets. Depending on the bike these may be used on, they could probably accept a 68 x 115 or 68 x 118 "UN-53" Shimano square tapered cartridge bottom bracket which are still easy to find, inexpensive, and should last also for many tens of thousands of miles.

Old 02-19-08, 09:36 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
I have a front fork for a very small frame bicycle (50-52cm?). It could use a fresh coat of paint, but it's straight and functional. I'll it out tomorrow for more details for those who may be interested. I may have a suitable box, but a few dollars to help cover shipping would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-08, 07:04 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
52t and 42t Stronglight Crank
PM Sent

Dante
Old 03-05-08, 09:33 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Edit!!!!!!!!! !!!Gone to Business810!!!
Now lets keep this thing rollin' guys!

After a series of losses on Ebay......I've decided I need some good bike Ju-Ju so I thought I'd revive this thread with a new offering.
~First one to PM me gets it.
~I will ship the 15th of this month at my expense anywhere.
Here ya go! Early Dura Ace brake caliper. With original pads and holder thingies hangin' off of them. I didn't even lose the adjuster barrel thingy! There is some corrosion on the quick release. It also doesn't have the nut on the rear or any washers. Sorry it's just the one caliper.

Good day!
Kelly D

Check out my bike blog!

Last edited by kpug505; 04-10-08 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 09:37 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Very nice, I don't need it, so I won't PM you!
Old 03-13-08, 10:20 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
From the 'not for your show bike' department, I have a 46 tooth Stronglight 99 chainring (86 bcd) that's a good news/bad news part. I got this in a lot of Stronglight rings a while back, and I don't have a 99 crank. Anyway, the good news is the teeth look like it's never seen a chain. The bad news is there's some serious corrosion on the chainring body, including one of the mounting tabs. Some of the corrosion is deep; this isn't just something you can buff out. But overall, it looks like it would work, and it's an uncommon size in an obsolete bcd.
Old 03-20-08, 11:50 AM
huerro
Villainous

Bikes: Trek 420, Cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edit: All Gone!

Shimano 6 speed indexed DT shifters. They aren't NOS, but they are functional.

Also, beat up Shimano Light Action rear derailleur and Suntour SR front if anyone wants them for parts, flips, or whatever.

Last edited by huerro; 03-20-08 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-20-08, 01:46 PM
abeyance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ITM quill stem silver and black bars.i think 11cm and 42. stripped bolt holding the bars. But the bars are held on VERY firmly. Whoever wants them, great. just shipping.
Old 04-10-08, 12:01 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Raleigh lugged steel fork, recessed brake, 700c, off of a mid-80's 56cm frame, minty fresh green.
7 inches of tube, 40mm of thread. Threads could be chased, they're rough in a couple spots.
Old 04-10-08, 01:49 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hey leftthread! Love your avatar! The trillium is one of my favs.....I make a habit of trying to save them from areas being developed (boy they have deep roots/bulbs in my sweet valley soil). First thing to bloom every year in my yard. Love 'em.

Check out my bike blog!
Old 04-10-08, 02:26 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kpug505
Hey leftthread! Love your avatar! The trillium is one of my favs.....I make a habit of trying to save them from areas being developed (boy they have deep roots/bulbs in my sweet valley soil). First thing to bloom every year in my yard. Love 'em.
Being from Puyallup aren't you supposed to only like Daffodils???

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-10-08, 04:01 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At one time years ago the big crop was hops then some kind of blight or weevil got to them and ruined that major agri business. A lot of fortunes were made and then lost at that time. Then it was tulips and daffodils. Now we mostly grow warehouses and they ain't pretty at all
Old 04-10-08, 04:19 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
At one time years ago the big crop was hops then some kind of blight or weevil got to them and ruined that major agri business. A lot of fortunes were made and then lost at that time. Then it was tulips and daffodils. Now we mostly grow warehouses and they ain't pretty at all
I didn't see many daffodils out there yesterday , not in the fields at least. I hope we see a few on the Daffodil Classic.

East Hill
Old 04-12-08, 05:52 PM
leftthread

Thanks, kpug505. Trillium are supposed to be up here first week in May, but it's snowing right now, so who knows how late they'll be. Fork goes to dannygl.
Old 04-12-08, 07:24 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by leftthread
Thanks, kpug505. Trillium are supposed to be up here first week in May, but it's snowing right now, so who knows how late they'll be.
I just took this photo a few days ago, in Mendocino County, California.

East Hill
Old 05-15-08, 04:47 PM
leftthread

Super le Tour 12.2 25 inch frame and fork, some rust, lots of scratches.

Old 05-15-08, 08:33 PM
kpug505

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
^^^ Dang! Very generous! ^^^ Wish it wasn't so huge. Actually I wish I wasn't so short.

Check out my bike blog!
Old 05-15-08, 11:01 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill
I just took this photo a few days ago, in Mendocino County, California.

East Hill
I have some of that that I dug in the woods and planted in a shady corner by the porch several years ago It comes up and blooms every year
Roy
Old 06-05-08, 11:13 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I have an old rear mount generator with front/'rear light. Dirty with some surface rust, needs cleaning and probably repair. Made in Hong Kong, unknown manufacture, probably circa mid-80's.

Probably not worth the postage, but does anyone need this and feel handy enough to bother with it?

S. J. Perelman
Old 06-08-08, 06:38 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
TAKEN NOS 36h Mallard Helicomatic rear hub with lockring. No skewer. Shines like mad. Take it away.

...please

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-13-08 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-08-08, 07:37 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
NOS 36h Mallard Helicomatic rear hub with lockring. No skewer. Shines like mad. Take it away.

...please

-Kurt
I definitely got a use for them. Yeah, I ride Helicomatic. And like them.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 06-08-08, 07:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
I definitely got a use for them. Yeah, I ride Helicomatic. And like them.
PM sent. Just to clarify, it is the Helico hub only. That all right with you?

-Kurt

Old 06-13-08, 08:09 AM
Fissile

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
OK, I've been cleaning out the basement, so here you go:

One pair of Schwinn marked (Weinmann?) brake levers with suicide levers. These are the quick release levers with the orange anodized quick release mechanism. The levers were removed from a girl's frame Continental. They have some minor scratches but no road rash -- looks like the the kind of dings you get from being knocked around a shed for 30 years. They polished out beautifully, and are very presentable. Sorry, but I do not have the barrel adjusters -- I looked.

I set of steel Schwinn stem shifters. These were removed from the same girl's frame Continental. Condition is very good.

You can have both the shifter and brake levers or pick just one item. PM with your location, and I'll figure out the postage.

First come, first serve.

Old 11-25-08, 07:43 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Resurrecting the thread.

Anyone interested in doing this again this year? I have to admit, this thread gave me a lot of enjoyment last Christmas . . . . . . . . and considering that my feelings toward the Christmas (never Holiday) season are curmudgeonly to that point that I always felt that Ebeneezer Scrooge was a bleeding hear liberal, I suppose that's saying something.

Same rules, same intent as last year. And I'm digging through the garage.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.