Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is the Poor Man's Rivendell?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What is the Poor Man's Rivendell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-22, 01:39 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
I can think of a few in my stable. '93 Trek 750, a lugged '91 Trek 730, perhaps even the Giant innova that was my wife's grocery-getter. No time to post pics. But IMHO, all the bikes featured here are the SMART man's Rivendell. Yeah, I get the following, they're a reboot of so many of the qualities we appreciate in our C&V bikes. But I wonder, why bother with the reboot (and the accompanying sticker shock)? Especially when there are still so many of what we seek in C&V still out there.....
Old 08-17-22, 04:44 PM
Not2Bright

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would love a Rivendell too but can't afford them. I bought a Handsome Devil frame on sale in late winter or early spring and spent the rest of the time acquiring parts. It all finally came together last week. I don't know if it is a dream bike but is what I dream a bike should look like, my asthetic preferences. It fits me beautifully and is a joy to ride with a few tweaks made early on. It is 3x9 with friction downtube shifters. Sugino crankset, VO wheels and VO stainless steel fenders. The steel frame, Brooks B17 saddle, and 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tiresmake for a pretty comfortable experience.

Likes For Not2Bright:
Old 08-17-22, 10:04 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Not2Bright
I would love a Rivendell too but can't afford them. I bought a Handsome Devil frame on sale in late winter or early spring and spent the rest of the time acquiring parts. It all finally came together last week. I don't know if it is a dream bike but is what I dream a bike should look like, my asthetic preferences. It fits me beautifully and is a joy to ride with a few tweaks made early on. It is 3x9 with friction downtube shifters. Sugino crankset, VO wheels and VO stainless steel fenders. The steel frame, Brooks B17 saddle, and 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tiresmake for a pretty comfortable experience.
That's a solid build - well done!
Old 08-18-22, 01:20 AM
benefitsofa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My Atlantis is my poor man’s Tesla.
Old 09-08-22, 01:30 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
My 1981 Miyata 610 is my "poor man's" Rivendell, though I'm a snob and I love that Japanese steel as much as I loved my old Columbus SLX bike years and years ago. The Miyata just fits perfectly for a road bike. It's built up with a full Suntour Superbe/Superbe Pro group, with the exception of a long cage Cyclone rear derailleur and a 1st gen set of American Classic hubs. I don't have enough posts yet so not allowed to post links to photos. One day soon.