Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gravel 1x vs Gravel 2x as Road Bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-13-20, 12:37 AM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Bikes: Felt Brogham, Vitus Dura Ace Build, Vintage Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys - I have been heavily debating getting a gravel bike to use as my "road bike" I like the idea of a little more relaxed/endurance geometry, bigger tires for a smoother ride, etc. I will be primarily using this as a "Road Bike" not really gravel riding.

Have been narrowing it down to several different models of Specialized Diverge or Giant Revolt Advanced. One of the Diverge models I really like aesthetically is Comp E5 which has a 40t Chainring and 11-42 Casette.

My ? is, will this be too limiting from a gearing perspective? Would I be better off in everyone's opinion with a 2x setup, seeing that this will be used primarily on the road.

I'm fairly physically fit, 6'1 180 thinking size 58. Would like to use cyclings to supplement my surfing when the waves aren't great, as another type of exercise that is fun and has much less impact physically than running.

Debating between just getting a base model diverge, riding it and figuring out what I want to do (I.e upgrade from 8spd to something better groupset wise, wheels, etc), going with the 1x Diverge Comp 11sd/Giant Revolt Advanced 1 1x 11spd or Giant Revolt Advanced 2 or 3 2x

I would appreciate the opinions/advice/insight from you guys who are much more experienced when it comes to this than I am haha

Diverge Comp E5

Diverge Base

Giant Revolt Advanced Models
Old 09-13-20, 01:15 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,263 Times in 2,937 Posts
If you’re going to use it as a road bike, wouldn’t road bike gearing make the most sense?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-13-20, 05:59 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I bought a Jamis Renegade with a SRAM 1xdrivetrain, use it as my "non-road" bike most of the time, lightly loaded touring other times.. 11x42 on the back, a tiny 38T on the front. On my road bike I am rarely maxing out the big in front/little in back combo, I was willing to give up the high end to have a nice low end for the touring use. I also have the tendency to be a grinder - the lower gearing is good at forcing me to increase cadence, I like that.

Getting the wheel on my road bike rebuilt, so been riding the Jamis on roads for the past week or so. A 40T up front would give you more high end but if you are used to pedalling at over 24mph, you will definitely spin out. But, I would only be doing that on the steep downhills and around here I'm usually riding the brakes doing that to avoid various varmints or cars popping out. I'm not a racer, I'm in it for the fun of riding and the exercise. I like increasing my fitness to go faster.

It came with 40mm Donnelly gravel tires which are great on the non-road surfaces but pretty slow on pavement. For touring, I put on a pair of Schwalbe 35mm Marathons that are much lower rolling resistance and essentially puncture-proof.

I love my carbon road bike but if for some reason I had to only choose one bike it would be the Jamis gravel bike - it is better on the roads than my road bike is on gravel or dirt!

But, if you plan on doing rides with other people on road bikes, you'll be seeing them off in the distance much of the time!
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 09-13-20, 08:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,934 Times in 4,670 Posts
Go with a 2x drivetrain for greater flexibility.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-13-20, 08:44 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
For road...either will work. IIRC the gear spacing of 1x12 versus 1x11 ends up being close and the range is close too.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-13-20, 08:52 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
You will likely spin out a 40-11 and a 40-42 is not that low of a gear ratio.

Glenn
Likes For GAtkins:
Old 09-13-20, 09:56 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
2x drive train.
Old 09-13-20, 10:00 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
For dual use.... I’d definitely get 2x.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-13-20, 11:17 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I don't have any gravel bikes, per se, but I recently bought a 1x CX bike mainly for road with an option in mind to handle the tamer off-road stuff. I also have more conventional 2x bikes. My 1x is 11sp with 40t chainring up front and 11-36t cassette. For solo riding, including decent climbs, I haven't noticed any downside. I don't go nearly as fast downhill, obviously, which doesn't matter to me. Uphill, the 40-36 ratio has been a non-issue, maybe because I've done a huge amount of low cadence climbing this year. It helps that no FD means a lighter bike. With a bigger cassette, maybe the tooth jumps will bother you -- again, it's something that doesn't matter to me when riding solo.

You would think that a 2x bike is more suitable for road riding, especially in a paceline, but one of the ride leaders of a group I rode with in the before times used a 1x bike and during a ride I even remarked how smooth his lead was. He would drop back on steeper terrain, but groups usually separate then anyway.
Likes For surak:
Old 09-13-20, 12:41 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If you're set on a fat tire road bike, go 2X. You don't need a clutched RD, you don't need a 1:1 final for climbing, you don't need to worry about chain drops from riding washboarded fire roads.

It doesn't hurt that I would buy virtually any Giant model before I even looked at a Specialized. You'll just get more bike for your money with the Giant.
Old 09-13-20, 12:50 PM
xKate

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahah
Old 09-13-20, 02:44 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If you’re going to use it as a road bike, wouldn’t road bike gearing make the most sense?
That's what I'm trying to figure out, would the current gearing be sufficient for what I am looking to accomplish. Also, the reason I am trying to decide if starting with a 2x setup makes more sense
Old 09-13-20, 02:47 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cubewheels
At least get 50t chainring. You'll grow out of 40t eventually if you'll mostly be on the road, trust me on this!

Also, don't miss the fact there are road bikes now with more relaxed/compliant geometry that fits 33mm wide tires. That with compliant carbon seatposts and aero dropbars, they'll be just as smooth and comfortable on the road as gravel bikes.
Appreciate that! It seems like I would need to at a minimum get a larger front sprocket. As everyone knows bikes are difficult to find in stock or arriving in the near future, might have to expand my search
Old 09-13-20, 03:02 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
Nobody here knows how strong you are, what hills you're going to climb, how far you intend to ride, how much you like to mash or spin, what speed you're okay spinning out at, how much you want to keep your cadence constant, what your goals are, who you ride with, etc. That doesn't stop people from filling in the blanks with their own answers and telling you what you should do, sometimes with great vigor.

Find a gear calculator, plug in the cadence numbers you like and the gearing choices, and see how it shakes out.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-13-20, 03:14 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If you're set on a fat tire road bike, go 2X. You don't need a clutched RD, you don't need a 1:1 final for climbing, you don't need to worry about chain drops from riding washboarded fire roads.

It doesn't hurt that I would buy virtually any Giant model before I even looked at a Specialized. You'll just get more bike for your money with the Giant.
That's one of my thoughts as well, if I want to ride a bike more off-road I am going to ride a mountain bike. The Giant bikes do come with a great package for the $, they are very difficult to find right now as well, haven't found any LBS with something in stock.
Old 09-13-20, 03:25 PM
partyanimal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
I'm a little biased because I just ordered one of these but the All-City Space Horse is supposed to be a great bike for those looking for something versatile. Not sure if you have your heart set on particular brands but I'd give All-City a look.
https://allcitycycles.com/
Likes For partyanimal:
Old 09-13-20, 03:39 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
An 11/42 cassette sounds like a better idea than it really is. On the road, no matter what chain ring you go with it is a nuisance to an abortion if you are riding on variable roads and shifting a lot.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-13-20, 03:45 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
An 11/42 cassette sounds like a better idea than it really is. On the road, no matter what chain ring you go with it is a nuisance to an abortion if you are riding on variable roads and shifting a lot.
I wouldn’t change from my 53/39 and 12/25 setup for anything.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-13-20, 03:52 PM
SwampGrinder

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't claim to be an expert, but here is my experience, for what it's worth. I recently bought a Giant Revolt Advanced (2021 model year), wanting something to ride the forest service roads a bit faster and farther than on my hard tail MTB. My intention was exclusively unpaved, but sticking to the smoother primary forest service roads in better shape (I still leave the rough stuff for my hard tail).

Coming from the MTB world of 1x drivetrains, I went with a Revolt Advanced 1 (40t up front, 11-42 in the rear), because I prefer the simplicity and aesthetics of a 1x system - and the jumps in gearing never bothered me on my MTB, so why would the gravel bike be any different. Also, I don't race or generally do group rides. Well... I gotta say that I can now see some advantages of the 2x system. Most of the time all is fine with the 1x, but there are times, especially when riding long slight inclines on the smoother roads, that there are (were) a couple of cog jumps that felt a bit too large (messed with my cadence), specifically between the 21 and 24 and the 24 and 28 cogs.

I think I may have now effectively solved this problem (for me) by replacing the 11-42 cassette with a 11-34. This eliminated the slightly too big jumps between cogs in the mid-range and I don't miss the larger cogs because I don't have to deal with real hills - I live in the coastal plain and where I ride this bike is pretty darn flat. If I ever take it to the mountains, switching the cassette back is fairly quick and easy. So now I feel like I have the best of both worlds. But I don't ride smooth paved roads and in no danger of spinning out the 40-11. But if you do, changing out the chainring to something bigger should be an easy enough task. And I still really do like the simplicity and aesthetics of the 1x - acknowledging that is completely subjective personal preference.

While the Revolt Advanced 1 is still fairy new to me, I can categorically and without reservation tell you that I absolutely love it! Zero regrets or reservations. Super comfortable and confident. All I want to do is ride it. All I think about is riding it. I am staring at it right now thinking I should get off this silly computer and go ride it.

And, last thought - if you do get a gravel bike and have 'gravel' roads near you, you should definitely give them a spin, riding them is a blast.
Likes For SwampGrinder:
Old 09-13-20, 04:17 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I know you said Giant Revolt, but if you're mainly using it for road riding, but still want pretty big tires, a Giant Defy with something like a 32c Hutchinson Sector would probably be the ideal bike for you, and still be perfectly fine for gravel that's isn't too crazy.
Likes For zen_:
Old 09-13-20, 07:25 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by downtube42
Nobody here knows how strong you are, what hills you're going to climb, how far you intend to ride, how much you like to mash or spin, what speed you're okay spinning out at, how much you want to keep your cadence constant, what your goals are, who you ride with, etc. That doesn't stop people from filling in the blanks with their own answers and telling you what you should do, sometimes with great vigor.

Find a gear calculator, plug in the cadence numbers you like and the gearing choices, and see how it shakes out.
I don't 100% know the answer to that just yet either, I have been really used to riding a custom single speed I built, which is why I'm wondering if I would be limiting myself to only 1x 11.

I went and rode the Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 today, it felt alright, shifted pretty smooth, brakes were ok

Put a deposit on a Diverge Comp E5, Rock n Road had one in stock in my size and wanted to be able to ride it before it sold out. Couldn't test ride that one at the time because I had my 11 month old son with me when I went to go look. Will ride it this week to compare geometry and sizing and the deposit is fully refundable if I don't end up wanting it.

I'm going to check out some of the other recommended bikes in this thread also
Old 09-13-20, 07:34 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zen_
I know you said Giant Revolt, but if you're mainly using it for road riding, but still want pretty big tires, a Giant Defy with something like a 32c Hutchinson Sector would probably be the ideal bike for you, and still be perfectly fine for gravel that's isn't too crazy.
I'll have to check it out! 32 would be nice and a good compromise
Old 09-13-20, 07:38 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwampGrinder
I don't claim to be an expert, but here is my experience, for what it's worth. I recently bought a Giant Revolt Advanced (2021 model year), wanting something to ride the forest service roads a bit faster and farther than on my hard tail MTB. My intention was exclusively unpaved, but sticking to the smoother primary forest service roads in better shape (I still leave the rough stuff for my hard tail).

Coming from the MTB world of 1x drivetrains, I went with a Revolt Advanced 1 (40t up front, 11-42 in the rear), because I prefer the simplicity and aesthetics of a 1x system - and the jumps in gearing never bothered me on my MTB, so why would the gravel bike be any different. Also, I don't race or generally do group rides. Well... I gotta say that I can now see some advantages of the 2x system. Most of the time all is fine with the 1x, but there are times, especially when riding long slight inclines on the smoother roads, that there are (were) a couple of cog jumps that felt a bit too large (messed with my cadence), specifically between the 21 and 24 and the 24 and 28 cogs.

I think I may have now effectively solved this problem (for me) by replacing the 11-42 cassette with a 11-34. This eliminated the slightly too big jumps between cogs in the mid-range and I don't miss the larger cogs because I don't have to deal with real hills - I live in the coastal plain and where I ride this bike is pretty darn flat. If I ever take it to the mountains, switching the cassette back is fairly quick and easy. So now I feel like I have the best of both worlds. But I don't ride smooth paved roads and in no danger of spinning out the 40-11. But if you do, changing out the chainring to something bigger should be an easy enough task. And I still really do like the simplicity and aesthetics of the 1x - acknowledging that is completely subjective personal preference.

While the Revolt Advanced 1 is still fairy new to me, I can categorically and without reservation tell you that I absolutely love it! Zero regrets or reservations. Super comfortable and confident. All I want to do is ride it. All I think about is riding it. I am staring at it right now thinking I should get off this silly computer and go ride it.

And, last thought - if you do get a gravel bike and have 'gravel' roads near you, you should definitely give them a spin, riding them is a blast.

I absolutely love the way 1x looks aesthetically as well, just looks so clean up front. I called around to every Giant dealer in so cal today to try and find a revolt advanced to at least go look at, found a shop that has an XL that I will go check out to see how it feels even though XL is too large for me
Old 09-13-20, 07:45 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by partyanimal
I'm a little biased because I just ordered one of these but the All-City Space Horse is supposed to be a great bike for those looking for something versatile. Not sure if you have your heart set on particular brands but I'd give All-City a look.
https://allcitycycles.com/
Beautiful bikes, I have always been a fan of nice lug work. Did you order direct to consumer?
Old 09-13-20, 07:53 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
You definitely want to get the 2x chainrings. My only bike is a Specialized Diverge Comp, which I ride mainly on paved roads, though sometimes off-road. I like it as a road bike, and the option to go off-road is very nice. When riding on pavement, I often find myself on the big chainring and smallest cog on the cassette (48T up front and 11T in back). You need a bigger chainring than 40T to ride it on pavement. You say you are physically fit. I'm in pretty good shape too, but I'm also 70 years old. If I'm riding in the highest gears with my 48T chainring, you would not be happy with a 40T chainring. When it comes time to replace the chainring, I'm even considering going to 50/34 because I'm in high gear so much of the time.
Likes For Random11:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.