Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What constitutes a “good bike” for you?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What constitutes a “good bike” for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-21, 01:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
I spend a fair amount of time on fitting each new acquisition, so all my bikes fit. And I work at making sure each one works as well as it should, given its components. So, then what constitutes a 'good bike' for me is more emotional and aesthetic.

Do I sometimes just look at it, and think, "Hey, that's a NICE bike!"
The night before a long ride, do I find myself excited to be riding that bike tomorrow?
When I roll out on a ride, stand on the pedals to get up to speed, then settle down into the saddle, do I think, "Yeah, that's what I wanted."
While I'm riding it, do the bike and I work together well, so I don't have to think about it?
When I get back from the ride, do I think, "Yeah! THAT'S why I have this bike!" Do I wish I had more time and more legs to spend on it?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-11-21, 02:19 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
As I was tooling around on my commuter bike today doing a few errands, I thought about how even though it’s really just a basic department store bike, that it suits my needs fine. And in general, I’m only a road cyclist and my road bikes are old steel, chromoly, or aluminum that I’ve had for lots of years, but well maintained (mostly by me)…and one CF road bike that I seldom ride. Those bikes are fine for me these days. I’m only marginally concerned with weight. As long as it has properly working components that are maintained, and well-adjusted…I’m happy. I have race results from 30+ years ago showing that I rode a couple of those bikes at 25mph avg in races. At almost 61 years old, I sure wish I could ride speeds like that now. But I just thought it might be a nice topic for discussion…what constitutes a “good bike” for you?

Dan
Fit, component quality, frame material. If you have the best bike on the planet but the fit it off, forget it. My current ride was chosen because it fit.
Old 12-11-21, 03:23 PM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Everyone of my bikes are "good" bike for me when I bought them.

That's because I chose them for what I want to use them for. It's the right bike for the function. Even the fit, was chosen with that function in mind: an errand bike needs to have the best visibility, good handling even on rough surface and fully loaded; a road bike's fit needs to be more aero, a mountain bike should have me planted in the cockpit even on steep uphill and descends, etc...

Some of my bikes are no long "good" as my riding had changed. But if I were to buy another one, I'll get a "good" one.

The brand and frame material isn't important in themselves. It's just part of their contribution to the overall functionality of the bike, for my purpose.

(at the moment, I have a really nice errand bike, also a "good" cross country mountain bike, a "good" road bike. But my gravel bike? It's not so good. I could use a better one. It has the right geometry but I could use disc brakes. Same situation for my full suspension free ride mountain bike. It has the "wrong" geometry for what I want to use it for now, which is different from what I originally bought it for)

Last edited by atnyc; 12-11-21 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-12-21, 06:50 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Good bikes do not use plain paper spacers for the cogs. Better ones at least oil the paper to make it last longer.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 12-12-21, 01:55 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
A good bike is one that can be maintained within one's tech skills, tools required and accessorized to suit the type of riding. I have four. A road, off-road, geared utility hybrid and a fixed gear utility. They're all good bikes. Well maintained, appreciated and equipped. Beyond those criteria a good bike is one you will ride and enjoy.

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 12-12-21 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-12-21, 07:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
One that makes other people jealous.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-12-21, 08:21 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
Any bike that I want to ride...

Old 12-12-21, 09:59 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
One that makes other people jealous.
Well, yeah that's a given. 😀
Old 12-13-21, 09:03 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I think the old (really old) Jaguar slogan sums it up for me..."Grace, Pace & Space".

Especially the "grace" and "pace" parts.

If "space" can be "expanded" (pun intended) to include "comfort" then that is my basis for a "good bike". And I don't mean an upright "comfort bike" with suspension and springs...unless that's what comfortable to YOU. I mean the kind of comfort that allows you to ride longer and farther, and allows the bike to disappear and become an extension of you.

Grace, Pace & Comfort....and also "reliability".
Old 12-13-21, 12:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
It is only a good bike if it has a big Trek logo on it and I don't mean one of this little tiny ones I am talking they made a larger downtube to fit a larger logo and filled the entire space. That is really all that matters right?

I like a bike that works well and does the job with minimal muss and fuss. It should be relatively comfortable or at least look really really really really good so I can stare at it a lot if I might not ride it as much as I would like. I love titanium because in the end it can last forever and I don't have to worry about scratches and such I can just buff it out as needed or if it does have some paint I can always strip it and it will still look good without having to finish it.
Old 12-13-21, 03:21 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
A good bike is the one that makes me want to go for a ride.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 12-23-21, 08:50 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
A good bike for me is one that I spend more time riding it than fixing it....................
Likes For frogman:
Old 12-23-21, 09:11 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
A good bike disappears underneath me. I don't notice anything about it. Everything works and it becomes an extension of myself.
Nice, and I would add that a good bike somehow seems to give back more energy than I’ve put into it.
Old 12-24-21, 12:25 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
So having recently finally actually purchased a "bike" which is to say a cycling device with two whole wheels (only somehow ended up with three partial version of such, of which only one is so far serviceable) my thought is that what I actually want to own is:
  1. My 36 inch unicycle, at this point hand built myself, which is what I find the most joy in riding (done)
  2. A cheap used hybrid that's serviceable for utility rides and shopping, but cheap enough that I could get over having it stolen (just done)
  3. Something indoor and stationary, probably built as such but maybe a frame kludged to the point of working on a trainer. Because, yeah, not getting outside this time of year enough to combat pandemic pounds... (next goal)
  4. Aspirationally some kind of drop bar gravel or touring bike with which I could both contemplate trying to keep up with the local "C" ride and tackle a weeklong canal towpath tour (pending later in spring)
The funny part though is that I really want to get the other two clunkers that were a mistaken package deal before buying the serviceable hybrid, going. Parts cost wise buying cables, derailleurs, freewheel removal tool and maybe a new rear hub and spokes, etc is insane compared to just giving up on them and reposting the pieces for free. And I don't really have the space to store them apart from the quick recourse or removing the wheels and pedals and hiding the frames. But darn, do I ever want to have had the experience of getting them going!

Last edited by UniChris; 12-24-21 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-24-21, 02:25 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
a good bike is one that allows me to develop the highest speed for the longest time for cheap without flats and least aches and pains when i get home.
and of course it has to have a JBL sound system as standard equipment and it should never get ripped off.
Old 12-24-21, 06:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
one never regrets buying quality
Old 12-24-21, 01:56 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I like vintage lugged steel road bikes with tight geometry. That’s what fits my body type not so much my riding style. I am very long legged for my height so thats what keeps me going back out riding. There is an #ss for every saddle! No butts about it
Old 12-24-21, 10:38 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
A bike that's comfortable and smooth to ride for hundreds or thousands of kilometres with no mechanical problems. Beyond that, everything is secondary.
Old 12-25-21, 02:43 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
One that fits properly and functions perfectly and preferably has tubular tires.
Old 12-25-21, 06:31 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Yeah, in my late teens (IIRC) I had a couple of ~3hr speed rides with a buddy that we did. He was an amateur racer; we both were distance runners. Could do a 25mph average along this one route we had ... mostly flat but with occasional short hills up out of (or down into) the trail along river bank. Nowadays, I'm doing pretty well if I get north of 15mph, and that's only for much more brief periods. Mostly I'm a ~10mph guy, these days.

For me, the "right" bike is a nearly-upright "city" bike format. Current bike is built on a mid-'90s Trek 970 steel frame, Surly Troll fork, great components, with a Brooks saddle, riser stem and Nitto Bosco swept bars. Required riding position due to old injuries that preclude any "sportier" setup. Works for me.

Weather's turning quite cold in my area, so it's mostly indoors gym exercise and floor work, except on nice days. Will get back to the frequent trail and road rides in early March or so, when the nasty weather begins to break.
Boy I'm glad to hear someone say they ride at an average of 10mph, I've been at about 12mph to 15mph on a frisky day and can't picture going 25mph like I hear a lot of people say except maybe going downhill. sometimes I'll reach up to 23mph for a short stretch but you guys that average that on 3 or 4 hr rides are supermen in my book!
Old 12-25-21, 06:36 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Yeah, in my late teens (IIRC) I had a couple of ~3hr speed rides with a buddy that we did. He was an amateur racer; we both were distance runners. Could do a 25mph average along this one route we had ... mostly flat but with occasional short hills up out of (or down into) the trail along river bank. Nowadays, I'm doing pretty well if I get north of 15mph, and that's only for much more brief periods. Mostly I'm a ~10mph guy, these days.

For me, the "right" bike is a nearly-upright "city" bike format. Current bike is built on a mid-'90s Trek 970 steel frame, Surly Troll fork, great components, with a Brooks saddle, riser stem and Nitto Bosco swept bars. Required riding position due to old injuries that preclude any "sportier" setup. Works for me.

Weather's turning quite cold in my area, so it's mostly indoors gym exercise and floor work, except on nice days. Will get back to the frequent trail and road rides in early March or so, when the nasty weather begins to break.
never met a bike I didn't like
Old 12-25-21, 07:13 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
Boy I'm glad to hear someone say they ride at an average of 10mph, I've been at about 12mph to 15mph on a frisky day and can't picture going 25mph like I hear a lot of people say except maybe going downhill. sometimes I'll reach up to 23mph for a short stretch but you guys that average that on 3 or 4 hr rides are supermen in my book!
To be fair, I only did it a couple of times @ 25mph average. Was on a ~3hr route. But the guy I was riding with was a serious amateur racer. He could go well north of 30mph for stretches, when the mood suited him. Let's just say that 3hrs @ 25mph avg cost me a couple of days of not walking straight. I was okay with that, since I could "bury" him on any distance running route we chose, even hours in length, and make him "pay" for it for a couple days. Got to take life's little gems where you can find them.
Old 12-25-21, 08:12 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Cheap, easy and unbreakable!
Old 12-25-21, 09:55 AM
Causual_Cyclist

Bikes: -Trek FX 7.1 2011, heavily upgraded and modified for comfort and durability.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
If it's reliable, sturdy and puts a genuine smile on my face, it's a good bike.
Old 12-25-21, 10:58 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Any reliable bike that enjoyable to ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.