Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show me something interesting....

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show me something interesting....

Old 12-12-22, 07:13 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
What bike is that on? I've seen it on a Casati and it took me quite a while to even realize what was going on.
A cromovelato Vicini ("Tour de France" model, I think). Previously posted here. I've only got a few pics handy, showing things as found.

Front derailleur cable exits from an opening just below where the FD clamp is expected to be.

It doesn't look like I have a good picture of the RD exit port - it's a brazed, chromed tube coming out of the chainstay just to the right of where this pic is cropped.

Also milled dropouts as the Olympia shown by Drillium Dude and also the same end-treatment of the stay tubing (but different handling of the RD cable routing). I wonder if that came from the same contract builder?

There is a circled "MB" on the bottom of the BB shell on mine that should tell who built it (Biemmezeta? Billato?), but I don't know that I ever figured that out.

Likes For CO_Hoya:
Old 12-12-22, 08:43 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Did you run a fish wire with/for them?
I did not. Just pre-bent the tubing and jammed it through. Takes a few tries to get the bend right, and for something really tricky like a fork, sometimes takes a bit of planning to first bend it and then put it in and then push on it and it'll bend some more to get it through. For the fork, I first brazed the dropout, then inserted the tubing into the forkblade before I brazed the crown on, and it was still pretty hard to do! A wire wouldn't stand a chance in there, and would probably get all mangled up. If I used copper tubing, I bet it would be easier, but I used stainless because that's what I found for free in the trash and I reckon getting the right diameter copper would cost a pretty penny from some industrial supply house.

I have a Merz that has some long ago trashed and abandoned internal cabling that would be cool to fix, likely way above my pay grade but I do think about it and wonder.
What's messed up about the internal cabling? Just curious. It may be easier to fix than you think. Some deburring and unkinking maybe?
Old 12-12-22, 10:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I did not. Just pre-bent the tubing and jammed it through. Takes a few tries to get the bend right, and for something really tricky like a fork, sometimes takes a bit of planning to first bend it and then put it in and then push on it and it'll bend some more to get it through. For the fork, I first brazed the dropout, then inserted the tubing into the forkblade before I brazed the crown on, and it was still pretty hard to do! A wire wouldn't stand a chance in there, and would probably get all mangled up. If I used copper tubing, I bet it would be easier, but I used stainless because that's what I found for free in the trash and I reckon getting the right diameter copper would cost a pretty penny from some industrial supply house.

What's messed up about the internal cabling? Just curious. It may be easier to fix than you think. Some deburring and unkinking maybe?
Half/some of the tubing has been gacked and hacked out, the exit on the CS has been sealed off, maybe only solder.

This frame also has a very odd square channel in the underside of the TT for the rear brake cable, not very elegant and Jim said he doesn't remember what he he did for it.

I meant if you ran a mechanics like wire inside the tubing to help keep it from kinking and maybe even help steer it some.
Old 12-13-22, 05:31 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by cheffyjay
There is lots of odd on this bike but the Control Tech cantilevers were an odd solution to a perhaps nonexistent problem. All of the spring is in the straddle 'cable':

Mid 90s mountain biking was full of CNC milled solutions like that.
aaaand purple/magenta/blue anodized ones... those brakes would be bada55 with the Rene Herse RD over there a few threads away
Likes For Lattz:
Old 12-13-22, 10:29 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I meant if you ran a mechanics like wire inside the tubing to help keep it from kinking and maybe even help steer it some.
Yeah, that might be helpful with copper tubing! Which is what I should use! The stainless I had on-hand was so rigid that it had no problems steering. Just real problems getting it bent to the right shape that it wouldn't have too much friction inside the tube, but still had enough bend to get out, since I can't really bend it after it's inside the frame tube. It's hard to explain even now, without the bike in front of me to demonstrate. Copper and mechanic's wire may have been much easier, but I was in a "run what you brung" sorta mood when I was doing those things, having exceeded all budgetary and time constraints already and just needing to get the job done.
Old 12-13-22, 12:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Yeah, that might be helpful with copper tubing! Which is what I should use! The stainless I had on-hand was so rigid that it had no problems steering. Just real problems getting it bent to the right shape that it wouldn't have too much friction inside the tube, but still had enough bend to get out, since I can't really bend it after it's inside the frame tube. It's hard to explain even now, without the bike in front of me to demonstrate. Copper and mechanic's wire may have been much easier, but I was in a "run what you brung" sorta mood when I was doing those things, having exceeded all budgetary and time constraints already and just needing to get the job done.
Trust me, I get it, I'm the same, I'll expend all the blood, sweat and tears on hand to keep from stopping the project for any reason if I think I can get it away with whats in front of me.

Often to my detriment, and success.

"run what ya brung", I drag raced mc's for 30 years, what I brung was whoop azz, oldschool Kawi brute force and did pretty good.

Last edited by merziac; 12-13-22 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-13-22, 06:13 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
Headtube/Downtube junction reinforcement gusset on my 1991 Fat City Wicked Fat Chance:

Seat quick release retaining ring and seat tube reinforcing gusset, also on the 91 Wicked Fat:
Old 12-13-22, 11:17 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 138 Posts
How often do you see a pantographed chainstay and cutouts on the BB lug where the chainstay attaches?

Likes For Choke:
Old 12-14-22, 09:05 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Bianchi1971IntegratedHeadset on Flickr

This surprised me as I hadn't known about this approach before. Beefy BB Shell on the Pinarello Montello - SLX
P1020153 on Flickr

A De Rosa version - Another SLX frameset
DeRosaProBBCluster on Flickr

PInarello Veneto(?) flush mounted bottle cage mounts.
P1000955 on Flickr
P1030827 on Flickr

BB and seat clusters are always interesting to me. Treks approach with the socketed stays combined with the binder bolt stands out for me. Screams cost reduction but still on a higher end bike, 760.
WP_20141102_005 on Flickr

Brake bridges are another feature of interest along with CS bridges. Much fewer variations on head tube construction.
Old 12-14-22, 09:28 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
how about a Serotta road bike with a rear suspension designed by Dave Kirk?

The seat stays are curved, not unlike a Hetchins Vibrant, but has a pivot at the point where it joins the dropouts. This allows the the stay to flex and rotate at the dropout.
It even includes some elastomer attached to the stays, to damp the motion. Pretty novel, and much more functional than the Hetchins curved stays (but not as good looking. )

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-14-22, 09:55 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
1959 Hugo Rickert touring.
Rollers on top of BB for ‘smoother’ RD & FD shifting.

Likes For Wildwood:
Old 12-14-22, 10:54 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
I always thought the Shimano hidden-bolt stems (Dura Ace and 600) were very interesting.

Likes For smd4:
Old 12-14-22, 11:02 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
since unusual derailleurs are a popular topic nowadays, how about this SunTour Superbe Tech derailleur? Tired of dealing with the hassle of a parallelogram collecting dirt and needing lubrication? Well, just replace it with a metal band around around a spool/pulley at each end! Nothing to ever go wrong! ... or at least that must have been what they were thinking??
It does look nice and tidy, though.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-14-22, 11:57 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Demountable space frame, front and rear suspension, proprietary 17" wheels. Owner/fan clubs worldwide, in production for 40 years, detested & derided by Jan Heine, it's the Alex Moulton AM:

Likes For tcs:
Old 12-14-22, 04:53 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
This will pale in comparison but… teardrop shaped down tube on my 1997 KHS Summit X:

Old 12-14-22, 05:16 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 138 Posts
Old 12-26-22, 12:03 PM
Positron400

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Aquired an 80's steel Trek this summer (sorry state, but very rescuable), first Trek I've owned. Not exactly an oh, wow feature, but I though the minimalist chain hanger integrated into the dropout was kind of nifty....

(I know, I know.....blurry photo )
Very nice, I have one of them on my Puch Mistral "Road bike"

chain-holder-nob
Old 12-26-22, 09:12 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
Mark DiNucci Braze-on, Dave Kirk brass adjuster.

Brent
Old 12-26-22, 09:19 PM
obrentharris 

Bruce Gordon tail light and straddle cable yoke.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 12-28-22, 07:49 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Where should I start on this one? Like a good film, even if you are not interested for first sight, the more you see the more things you notice....

a bit more eye candy...

shuriken bosses on a Japanese build.... BADA55
Old 12-28-22, 08:50 PM
Lattz

Not C&V, but I always found this interesting:
Old 12-28-22, 09:05 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,032 Times in 1,245 Posts
Landing on Mars. Or kitchen table. The french should design spacecraft.

Last edited by clubman; 12-28-22 at 09:10 PM.
Likes For clubman:
Old 12-29-22, 06:53 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
This isn't the pic I wanted to post, but some may find this interesting. I've thought about buying this kit but it's spendy and you don't use it much. It's a Stien tools kit for retapping crank arm threads oversize to 23mm and then you install a self extractor

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-29-22, 11:28 AM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by Lattz

Wow! What bike is this? Where can I find more information about the bike and the builder?
Brent
Old 12-29-22, 11:47 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Wow! What bike is this? Where can I find more information about the bike and the builder?
Brent
It's a French Aviac from the 50s, I should have sent pic source but here's the link for VSB's flickr albums... I would say it is in the "C&V websites you have to see before you die" category. Sit down and have some heart meds and water within reach...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11521783@N05/albums

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.