Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help.I bought a really nice bike today and it shows as Stolen

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need help.I bought a really nice bike today and it shows as Stolen

Old 12-17-22, 09:08 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
You have no way of knowing if the person who sold the bike is a fence or a person who bought the bike in about the same way you did. Do not make assumptions.

It should not remotely be possible to mistake a sticker for a serial number. What?
Even if he made assumptions. All the thief or last person in the custody chain has to say is they bought it fair & square from "some guy in the Jimmy John's parking lot" & that's it. It was bought, Officer Porkman can only legally assume it was their legit personal property unless he can prove he saw otherwise.

This is why property crime isn't illegal anymore, investigations cost so much & only organized theft rings get investigated. The actual thief, just doesn't have an established habit of illegal behavior to warrant suspicion, even if the seller would ID him...which of course, he wouldn't. Bit of a chicken & egg situation.

All that is to say the OP can totally assume all he wants. It just won't do him or anybody any good. There is what you know & what you can prove. The cop is limited only to what they can prove & the crooks know this.

The other issue, the serial number sticker. It's common practice to place a serial number sticker with a scannable barcode on an inconspicuous part of the frame. This is done for the benefit of inventory scanning systems at all levels of the distribution chain all the way to the end customer. The serial number (sans barcode) will still be permanently stamped on the frame somewhere.

Removing the sticker doesn't really do anything other than make someone have to manually enter the number into a text box on an inventory control system screen. The sticker is simply a convenience to allow a handheld barcode scanner; to afford the opportunity of greater supply chain efficiency & reduce inventory errors.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-17-22, 09:41 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
I've never been pulled over on any bike or vehicle for that matter for the popo to look at serial numbers or VIN. I seriously have never looked at the numbers on my bikes I've bought used... Santa would have never known, if OP hadn't got on the soap box and shouted to the world..... I'd ride it like it was mine because I bought it legitimately...
Likes For 308jerry:
Old 12-17-22, 10:11 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
This is why property crime isn't illegal anymore, investigations cost so much & only organized theft rings get investigated.
Not illegal anymore? Well, that's good to know! Care to share your address? I have a "friend" that needs things for his apartment, like a new TV, furniture, and just about anything I can lay my hands on while you're gone. Hey, it's not illegal, right?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 12-17-22, 10:39 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
My father bought a stolen bike a long time ago. After getting it home he called the police department to check the serial number. I think everything was mainly handled through the police department.

In that case, the bike had changed hands a couple of times including trades before getting picked up.

Ultimately, I don't believe any money was ever returned to my father.

For a "high end" bike, an insurance company is likely also involved. So, the insurance company may get control over the bike. Perhaps an offer could be made to buy it back.
Old 12-17-22, 01:47 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
No! This could be considered extortion--generally threatening to report a crime unless you are paid is itself criminal (blackmail). You don't want to do anything that could be construed as that it's not worth the risk.
^^^This.^^^ If the guy you bought the bike from is indeed a fence, you don't want any further direct communication with him. Let the police handle it from here. Lick your wounds and move on.
Old 12-17-22, 06:35 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
I thought about it . This wasn't a violent crime. You put the seller in jail, and then he's out and maybe homeless, and a bigger burden on society.
(our city has a major homeless problem)
So I drove into the city to confront the seller. The place was a bit spooky. No answer at the door
Went back to my car to think this over,
I checked my phone. I noticed that Bike Index let me Login now. (it didn't yesterday) .
I pulled up the owner's information.
There was a phone number and I called it.
The owner confirmed it and gave me her address and I returned the Bike to her..
I realize there are other solutions, but I wasted two days and a 100 miles on this. This is it for me.
Old 12-17-22, 06:53 PM
gene99

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
no offense, but i wonder, was the deal 'too good to be true'? if it was maybe you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
Old 12-17-22, 07:05 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I am trying to put myself in the OP's position. Had I been looking for a bike, if this one came available would I suspect anything unusual? Was the seller a known dealer in bicycles? If not, how did they just happen to have this bike and want to sell? Is the seller a rider or was there any reason a non-rider would just happen to have this bike?

Yes, try to get your money back, but make sure this seller never does it again. Contact the authorities. Let them handle it. Do it now and not tomorrow. The longer you procrastinate, the more complicit you appear.
And why even check the serial number against a database? It wouldn't have crossed my mind because I guess I wouldn't have thought about it being stolen. I've bought and sold many bikes and frames used locally and through ebay and even this site. It never crossed my mind to check if they were stolen.

But if I suspected it might be stolen, why wait til after the purchase to check it? Wouldn't it be smarter to check it before forking over the money.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-17-22, 07:07 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I thought about it . This wasn't a violent crime. You put the seller in jail, and then he's out and maybe homeless, and a bigger burden on society.
So I drove into the city to confront the seller. The place was a bit spooky. No answer at the door
I checked my phone. I noticed that Bike Index let me Login now. (it didn't yesterday) .
I realize there are other solutions, but I wasted two days and a 100 miles on this. This is it for me.

Thank you for doing the right thing!
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-17-22, 11:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
P.T. Barnum was right.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-17-22, 11:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Who's to say she did not sell it, report it stolen and now she gets to sell it again. Stranger things have happened.

Old 12-18-22, 12:23 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I wonder how this will end?

Turn the bike into the police resulting with No bike and No money eventually?
Take the bike back to the seller and get your money back then report it to the police?
Scratch the frame and part out all the components?
Find the original owner and return the bike?
Keep the bike after you shoot it with rattle can flat black... Ha?

I am sure glad its not me...
Old 12-18-22, 12:52 AM
rickpaulos

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Not illegal anymore? Well, that's good to know! Care to share your address? I have a "friend" that needs things for his apartment, like a new TV, furniture, and just about anything I can lay my hands on while you're gone. Hey, it's not illegal, right?
Address would be in any city with a large homeless population. Even if the local police arrest suspects, they are shortly back on the street with no followup.
Likes For rickpaulos:
Old 12-18-22, 03:39 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by gene99
no offense, but i wonder, was the deal 'too good to be true'? if it was maybe you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
No offense, but your comment strikes me as being a little bit self righteous. The original poster never said how much she paid for the bike, so why would you assume the deal "was too good to be true"??

Subsequent to learning that the bike was stolen, she sought advice here as to how to deal with this problem in the most kind and ethical way she could. Why the need to chirp in with that "deal too good to be true" nonesense? She's probably out of pocket some money now. Your remark is a bit unhelpful and definitely unnecessary.

Last edited by joey buzzard; 12-18-22 at 06:08 AM.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 12-18-22, 06:58 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
And why even check the serial number against a database? It wouldn't have crossed my mind because I guess I wouldn't have thought about it being stolen. I've bought and sold many bikes and frames used locally and through ebay and even this site. It never crossed my mind to check if they were stolen.

But if I suspected it might be stolen, why wait til after the purchase to check it? Wouldn't it be smarter to check it before forking over the money.
Excellent point.
Old 12-18-22, 07:07 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Well I sure hope the deal was "too good to be true" as the OP is out whatever $$ she paid regardless.

Last edited by Lombard; 12-18-22 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-18-22, 07:12 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by zandoval
I wonder how this will end?

Turn the bike into the police resulting with No bike and No money eventually?
Take the bike back to the seller and get your money back then report it to the police?
Scratch the frame and part out all the components?
Find the original owner and return the bike?
Keep the bike after you shoot it with rattle can flat black... Ha?

I am sure glad its not me...
Post #31 shows her choice which IMO was the right thing to do. She has a conscience.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-18-22, 07:21 AM
gene99

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
No offense, but your comment strikes me as being a little bit self righteous. The original poster never said how much she paid for the bike, so why would you assume the deal "was too good to be true"??

Subsequent to learning that the bike was stolen, she sought advice here as to how to deal with this problem in the most kind and ethical way she could. Why the need to chirp in with that "deal too good to be true" nonesense? She's probably out of pocket some money now. Your remark is a bit unhelpful and definitely unnecessary.
she never says how she bought the bike - e.g., ebay? ad? someone known? and who buys a bike like a Synapse without knowing which model it is? someone who gets a deal that's too good to be true. sorry but her whole story sounds fishy to me.
Likes For gene99:
Old 12-18-22, 07:28 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 727 Posts
Thank you for showing us how this situation is best handled. Sorry about the money lost, but that $#i+ comes and goes. Your ethics are amazing. It's easy to pontificate for others, but you have walked the walk.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 12-18-22, 08:02 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
I bought a really nice bike today. It's a Cannondale Synapse...
I went to check the Part Number on the bottom bracket to see what model bike I bought.
Turns out it was a Serial Number and it shows as "Stolen" in Bike Index
The Bike index website is locked up and won't let me register so I can notify the owner.
Anyone got access to Bike Index? Log in (bikeindex.org)
I guess I have to call the Police, but what if they show disinterest?
I'd like to get my money back obviously and I'd like to make the original owner whole.
In my state, you can take it to the police station as a found item. If someone claims it and has POP, they take it.
If, after 30 days, it's unclaimed, it's yours. and you have a receipt from the popo.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 12-18-22, 08:18 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
she never says how she bought the bike - e.g., ebay? ad? someone known? and who buys a bike like a Synapse without knowing which model it is? someone who gets a deal that's too good to be true. sorry but her whole story sounds fishy to me.
I was wondering this too. I wonder how the OP bought the bike? Was it via a private ad, online sale or some guy on a street corner? It would be interesting to know to get the whole story.
Old 12-18-22, 08:21 AM
Chuck Naill

Now I am curious how you to came together to transact the sale of a bike? This whole story sounds "fishy".

I've certainly bought products off Craigslist and have met one female in a parking lot for both of our protection. Otherwise, at the seller's home.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 12-18-22, 08:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
how much did you lose on this?
how will this change your shopping procedures?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-18-22, 11:50 AM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
how much did you lose on this?
how will this change your shopping procedures?
I am guessing not posting buyer decisions here...LOL!!!
Old 12-18-22, 02:39 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 263 Posts
I realize there are other solutions, but I wasted two days and a 100 miles on this.
Not really.

In another 10 years, the world will be so much more woke than it is today, that it will be a legal obligation for a buyer to do all the work in returning confirmed stolen property back to its owner, or face punishment from the law as an accomplice to the crime.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.