Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Internal gear hub with 2 shifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-22, 06:31 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm having a bit of trouble identifying this internal gear hub. It's something i've never seen before, there are two shifters, and a cable goes into both sides of the hub. When I shift with the right shifter there is a noticeable change in gear ratio, the left one feels like it's a very slight change. It has a kind of butchered (I think) shifter setup with stem mounted Sachs Huret 2x6 position shifters. I can't even figure out if the "right side" is supposed to be 3 speed or 2 speed.
Any ideas what kind of IGH this is? I see zero markings on it. It's on a KTM city bike from the ~80s. I'm trying to figure out how many speeds it supposed to have, and what kind of shifter setup it would have come originally. I worked on a lot of vintage bike but never seen an internal gear hub like this, so i'm hoping it will be easy to figure out what it is.
Here are some pics:

Likes For Facanh:
Old 12-18-22, 06:37 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2927 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,490 Posts
Cool beans. When I first tried my hand at mountain biking one of the guys had a 5 speed hub like that.

I wonder if this is a 4 speed with a hi/lo?

one of coolest things about old bikes is weird stuff like this

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 12-18-22, 06:37 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Based upon the shift wire linkages, it appears to be a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub.

I have not seen many of these, and the hub shell is not common.

rusty
Likes For 100bikes:
Old 12-18-22, 06:53 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Sachs Pentasport.

Don't lose the axle nuts, as I recall the axle thread is a bit peculiar and they fit the best.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 12-18-22, 07:10 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes
Based upon the shift wire linkages, it appears to be a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub.
I have not seen many of these, and the hub shell is not common.
Based on the cable connectors I'd say Sachs/SRAM "SPECTRO" hub. Looks like "Pentasport". A Sturmey would be marked, especially an old S5

​​​​​​https://sheldonbrown.com/sutherland/...pentasport.pdf

Last edited by dedhed; 12-18-22 at 07:19 AM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-18-22, 07:23 AM
oneclick 

Further;
you have a twin pull-chain version, you will need a two-cable shifting arrangement. Sachs made two versions, here are ebay numbers:

and

However, you might investigate to see if the trick for the SA twin-cable five-speed hubs works -

get a three-speed shifter for the right side, and any old friction shifter for the left. In the SA hub, the left shifter makes the the right side low lower, and the high higher - and it is either tight or loose. I suspect the operation of the Sachs is similar.

(You'd need a Sachs three-speed trigger, not an SA as they pull different amounts.)
Likes For oneclick:
Old 12-18-22, 07:27 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It says Sachs Torpedo Schweinfurt on the arm that connects to the chainstay, I missed that somehow.

It does look like a Pentasport, thanks for the help! It looks like originally it had one shifter with 2 cables going into it, and I guess the shifter switched between actuating the hi/lo and 3 speed "side", giving you 5 gears in total?
I'm fairly sure the indexing on these shifters just doesn't match with the hub, it does feel like I can get a 3rd low gear on the right side, but the lever pops out of position. Wondering what other shifter setup I could use if I can't find an original Pentasport.
Old 12-18-22, 09:38 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Pentasport indeed as others pointed out. I had one earlier, mine was with a 1 arm 2 cables setup and now thinking that should be it. since you have to pull one side to release the other, I don't know how could that be done with a setup like yours.
I had the version on the left. Beside being ugly and heavy, it was a dream to ride on a city bike, but you are screwed if you need a tire change/repair and don't know the secret of how to setup the proper cable tension

The lever pops out of gear if one side is too tight. There are videos on how to set them up, but they start with "set the lever to fourth", which isn't meant on your dual-shifter.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 12-18-22, 09:50 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/bik/7561233699.html
Old 12-25-22, 03:42 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's kind of a sin because this hub is so interesting, but i'm thinking about "converting" this bike to just a regular 3spd. The sole purpose of this bike is gonna be to get groceries. I found one Pentasport shifter locally, but the price of the shifter is more than what the bike is worth. I'm trying to keep this bike cheap in case it gets stolen. But I want it mechanically sound with everything working nicely. It's flat where I live so I don't really need extra low or high gears.

Would this shifter work with this hub? When I worked on vintage bikes we used those Torpedo shifters all the time, but I can't find them anymore. However I see these going for ~10 bucks new.
Old 12-25-22, 04:58 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by Facanh
Would this shifter work with this hub? When I worked on vintage bikes we used those Torpedo shifters all the time, but I can't find them anymore. However I see these going for ~10 bucks new.
Sachs and Sturmey triggers have different amounts of cable pull per position, so no.
Old 12-25-22, 05:06 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Sachs and Sturmey triggers have different amounts of cable pull per position, so no.
It says it's compatible with SRAM T3 hubs (says T3 on the shifter), still no? I see that these old Torpedo levers are now sold as SRAM T3 levers as well. It's a Sturmey Slst3 lever.

Last edited by Facanh; 12-25-22 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-26-22, 05:31 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
The Sachs Torpedo Pentasport became the SRAM P5, but be careful, not all 5speed levers are designed for this 2cable setup, as Sachs later (but still before the seelout) introduced the clickbox, the one-sided variant with single cable.
Old 12-27-22, 07:37 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Sachs Pentasport 5 speed. Not a bad hub, but the plastic two cable shifter was not very robust and broke easily.
I rigged one with two friction shifters and it worked well. Once I located and marked the position of the right shifter for the direct (middle gear) I could reliably shift every time.
The right shifter shifts between underdrive, direct and overdrive, the left shifter shifts between the two sun gears that split the underdrive and overdrive ratios.
The sequence goes like this
1st both cables taut
2nd right cable taut left cable slack
3rd (direct) right cable center position left cable doesn't matter
4th both cables slack
5th right cable slack left cable taut.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 12-27-22, 02:37 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Sachs Pentasport 5 speed. Not a bad hub, but the plastic two cable shifter was not very robust and broke easily.
I rigged one with two friction shifters and it worked well. Once I located and marked the position of the right shifter for the direct (middle gear) I could reliably shift every time.
The right shifter shifts between underdrive, direct and overdrive, the left shifter shifts between the two sun gears that split the underdrive and overdrive ratios.
1st both cables taut
4th both cables slack
Cool. I friction-shifted a regular 3-speed Sturmey Archer AW Coaster hub using a Huret downtube lever. First is all the way down, second is just above first, very useful (particularly with a coaster brake) neutral is next, and third is all the way slack. Easy to learn, easy to shift, no problem.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-29-22, 10:40 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1st both cables taut
4th both cables slack
Wow, I thought when the left cable was taut that always made the gear ratio lower, and when it was loose it always made the gear ratio higher, but I just tried it and that's not the case!
I've been playing around and I think I might be able to make the setup work with this 1x5 positioned Sachs lever setup with new cables and proper adjustment. But the lever pull might be off. Also the left lever is indexed as well, but the lever has so much slop/play that it doesn't want to hold the cable taut enough.
Now that I can (sort of) get all the gear ratios, playing around with the levers is starting to become fun. 🙂

Last edited by Facanh; 12-29-22 at 10:49 AM.
Likes For Facanh:
Old 12-29-22, 11:01 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh
Wow, I thought when the left cable was taut that always made the gear ratio lower, and when it was loose it always made the gear ratio higher, but I just tried it and that's not the case!
I've been playing around and I think I might be able to make the setup work with this 1x5 positioned Sachs lever setup with new cables and proper adjustment. But the lever pull might be off. Also the left lever is indexed as well, but the lever has so much slop/play that it doesn't want to hold the cable taut enough.
Now that I can (sort of) get all the gear ratios, playing around with the levers is starting to become fun. 🙂
It helps to understand the function of the sun gears. In the underdrive mode, the power flow goes from the ring gear to the planet carrier and having the larger of the sun gears engaged makes the speed differential greater meaning you have a lower gear. In the overdrive mode, the power flow is reversed making the planet carrier the input and the ring gear the output. In this case, the larger speed differential means that engaging the larger sun gear makes for a faster gear.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 12-29-22, 11:15 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It helps to understand the function of the sun gears. In the underdrive mode, the power flow goes from the ring gear to the planet carrier and having the larger of the sun gears engaged makes the speed differential greater meaning you have a lower gear. In the overdrive mode, the power flow is reversed making the planet carrier the input and the ring gear the output. In this case, the larger speed differential means that engaging the larger sun gear makes for a faster gear.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to internal gear hubs. I don't think I've ever owned a bike with an IGH, and so far I think I serviced/disassembled one IGH ages ago.
Old 06-07-23, 05:08 PM
Daarke01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wondering, have anyone managed to transform this hub into a 1-shifter?
Meaning, can the left side be static somehow allowing for a different brand of 3-5 gear switch for example to be used for the PentaSport 5?

I hate the idea of pulling/loosening two sides of the hub, and I especially hate those old gear shifters. I prefer rotating gripshifters instead. So wondering if it's possible to only use one side of the hub?
Old 06-07-23, 06:49 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Daarke01
Wondering, have anyone managed to transform this hub into a 1-shifter?
Meaning, can the left side be static somehow allowing for a different brand of 3-5 gear switch for example to be used for the PentaSport 5?

I hate the idea of pulling/loosening two sides of the hub, and I especially hate those old gear shifters. I prefer rotating gripshifters instead. So wondering if it's possible to only use one side of the hub?
There's not a lot of love for twist shifters with most of the 3-speed crowd even though they're cool. I've worked on a bunch and always converted to the triggers when they fail. If you want 3 gears, an SA would be a safer, more reliable bet, imo.
Old 06-07-23, 10:09 PM
Daarke01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's not a lot of love for twist shifters with most of the 3-speed crowd even though they're cool. I've worked on a bunch and always converted to the triggers when they fail. If you want 3 gears, an SA would be a safer, more reliable bet, imo.
Yes, that seems to be an American thing not much love at all for gripshifters sadly.. However for me it's a must, as a Northern European when winter comes around anything else constantly jams or freezes. For older Shimano 3CC hubs for example I've found that SRAM P5 gripshift works and that's what I always put in. Either way, I found myself having a spare Torpedo Pentasport 5 hub in good condition, but the shifter is no good since a plastic part of it broke. Instead of replacing it I would like to insert a gripshift. But I'm still wondering if there's a way to only use one side of the hub to shift gears. Like having the left side loose, or tight constantly in order to avoid needing 2 cables or 2 gripshifters for each side.

Was wondering if anyone here has more experience with this particular hub, and if that would work. Or is the 2-shifter configuration a must to get it working?

Last edited by Daarke01; 06-07-23 at 10:21 PM.