Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does a Replacement Sticker for this Motobecane Crank Exist?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-23, 11:15 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts

I've got this stately Motobecane branded cankset I'm planning on using but the stickers have lost some pizazz over the years. Are they legible? Sure. Could they be better? Absolutely. Especially the drive side.
I'd love to find some replica (or NOS) stickers to give the crank some punch but have accepted that replacements likely do not exist. But... stranger things have happened.
Does anybody know if there are replicas somewhere out there in this big, wide world?

Likes For The Thin Man:
Old 02-05-23, 10:50 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 02-05-23, 11:05 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Possibly not, but since it is on a flat surface, it is easy to scan, unlike the frame decals, and it is also a rather simple one. Since you have it, once scanned you can trace it in a vector graphics program like Inkscape (free) or Adobe Illustrator ($$) and size it. Then off to the closest print shop or online service and you have it. Alternatively provide the scanned images and dimensions to the print shop and let them trace it. Beside this, yours are not that bad so the Sharpie suggested above may be the best option.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 02-05-23, 11:38 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
The best option is to leave it be. Patina!
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 02-05-23, 11:48 AM
The Thin Man 

Good suggestion, Lattz. I have Illustrator connections and print shops in my area so if a replacement sticker can't be found (not looking good!) then reproduction could be a good option.
As my son, who is way into Minecraft would say, "this is pro, not noob", so I appreciate your suggestion.
Old 02-05-23, 12:01 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
As my son, who is way into Minecraft would say, "this is pro, not noob", so I appreciate your suggestion.
The kids have their own language. My little cherub has said things like “kinda sus bruh” or “what a bot”. Every now and then I actually understand what he is saying.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 02-05-23, 12:06 PM
The Thin Man 

Originally Posted by RustyJames
The kids have their own language. My little cherub has said things like “kinda sus bruh” or “what a bot”. Every now and then I actually understand what he is saying.
Ha! "Sus" is a new one for me, too! I won't be using it in a sentence but I kinda like that one...
Old 02-05-23, 08:08 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
The Thin Man -

Cyclomondo offers Raleigh and Carlton versions of that decal. It is quite possible that he will do a custom repro for Motobecane.

https://www.cyclomondo.net/raleigh-a...Item-kbqiqn324

Likes For bertinjim:
Old 02-05-23, 11:56 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
I can't help with finding someone who can make foil replicas, but if you can get a flat scan of the crankarm along with length and height measurements, I should be able to do an Illustrator Live Trace on it. Should get you a few steps closer to getting replicas made.

Incidentally, that's got to be one of the coolest typefaces ever to grace a crank. Sublime.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 02-06-23, 12:40 AM
The Thin Man 

bertinjim and cudak888, your replies are both fantastic. Thank you! It is reasons like this is why our group remains the best resource I have for vintage news, camaraderie and assistance.
As luck would have it, another kind forum member has contacted me directly to help with creating an Illustrator file I can use to have this reproduced. But, I didn't have that giant lead about Cyclomondo creating something similar. I'll absolutely purse that. I'm thrilled to have your replies as they both get me one step closer to a proper reproduction that these cranks deserve.
If things don't work out with the already-in-progress Illustrator creation, Cudak, I'll drop you a line!
Likes For The Thin Man:
Old 02-06-23, 01:29 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Here's a close facsimile. Certainly not exact but it will allow you to make a decal using the Helicopter tape transfer...

Cannot attach .pdf file???
Saved the .pdf to google drive, here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ji9...ew?usp=sharing
Tape transfer method on YouTube: youtube.com/watch?v=bNsQGbkPAB8

Last edited by zandoval; 02-07-23 at 12:19 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 02-06-23, 11:39 PM
The Thin Man 

Thank you, zandoval!
Old 04-16-23, 12:10 AM
The Thin Man 

I want to thank everyone for the posts above. Many good suggestions and in the end, I suppose I'm just the kind of guy that likes to do a job right, or not at all. That usually means it costs more and takes more time. So, I went this route and brought in the big guns. Many of you know Mr. Greg Softely and his phenomenal decal work. He's done small, one-off, custom jobs like this for me in the past so we worked together to create yet another.

Two months later, there we have it! These are absolutely perfect in typeface, size and substrate. The chrome foil is just... :: Chef's Kiss::
Details matter!

Greg mentioned that in all his years of decal creation, he's never been asked for a Motobecane crank sticker like this. So, he made a few extras in case someone comes out of the woodwork looking for a few, though he said he expects them to not sell in his lifetime! My hope is that someone comes to this thread through a search, contacts Greg Softley and buys a set. I'd like to make him eat his words.

Before and after images below.

Last edited by The Thin Man; 04-16-23 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-16-23, 05:44 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Greg is great!
I want to put a plug in for him on a specific decal. The Colnago "Superissimo." He was the only one I could find that had this specific decal for 1983 Colnago.
I recently contacted him and mentioned this decal set. He thinks I am the only one that has ordered it. That was maybe 15 years ago!
All you Colnago Superissimo owners need to get the decal set, which he recently updated to match the dimensions of the original.
If your Colnago has chrome head lugs and is a 1980's vintage, it is likely a Superissimo, a Super with chrome head lugs.
P9161245 on Flickr
Old 04-16-23, 07:04 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Another heads up for Greg and what he does for our community. For over a year I had wanted the pantographed chainrings for my Colnago and his machinist was out. I had seen used ones and anything I found looked well worn or over priced. He finally convinced his machinist to make another run and they are fantastic. I have not installed them yet but they look great and fit on a spare crank I had. The bonus is that they are the perfect 53/41 count that just works for me but the 41 is hard to find.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-16-23, 11:06 AM
The Thin Man 

Agreed. Greg is a treasure.
I was happy to pay him for work since 1) it's top notch and 2) I want to support "local" work and keep our artisans in business. The last thing we need is another hit from a decal manufacturer going under (IE: VeloCals)!
Likes For The Thin Man: