Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 08:04 AM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Excellent deal IMO

I got over $600 from selling the original parts from my Cimarron. So it's possible you could make money on this purchase. Mine was older and included the valuable Suntour "Beartrap" pedals.

On the other hand, it would cost well over $500 to acquire these parts in good condition.

Cheers,
Oliver H.

Originally Posted by thumpism
I posted this in the Looking thread but the ad is still up, for all you Cimarronistas. Not cheap.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...172366736.html

Vintage schwinn cimmaron beautiful timecapsule mtb mountain bike - $450

bicycle frame material: steel
bicycle type: mountain
frame size: 49 cm
wheel size: 26 in
All original . Nitto bars and stem. Full deore xt even pedals and hubs. Great condition from 87
Old 08-23-20, 08:15 AM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
89 Cimarron
Wait a minute. Are we to understand that you are in possession of a New In Box '89 Cimarron?!

My '86 is a 26.6mm seatpost. Come to find out, they're pretty uncommon, especially if you want a long one that's not $$$. I sanded a 26.8 to fit.

- Oliver H.
Old 08-23-20, 08:57 AM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
New new

Originally Posted by countalmaviva
Wait a minute. Are we to understand that you are in possession of a New In Box '89 Cimarron?!

My '86 is a 26.6mm seatpost. Come to find out, they're pretty uncommon, especially if you want a long one that's not $$$. I sanded a 26.8 to fit.

- Oliver H.
Yup. It’s new in the box. I can’t believe it.

I ended up finding a 26.6 nitto post for not too much. What size is the stem?
Likes For gravelinmygears:
Old 08-23-20, 10:00 AM
countalmaviva 

Yup. It’s new in the box. I can’t believe it.

I ended up finding a 26.6 nitto post for not too much. What size is the stem?
Ooo. I'd love to see that post. Is it from the 80's? I'm not aware that Nitto makes any that size currently....

The stem on my Cimarron, which is one of the few original parts I kept is a Suntour XC. Aluminum extension and steel quill shaft. It's for a 1" steerer tube -- quill shaft is 22.2mm, pretty sure.

- Oliver H.
Old 08-23-20, 10:52 AM
gravelinmygears 

Nitto

It’s my understanding that Nitto will make any size post these days if a vendor orders 50 of them. That’s what Rivendell does for their bikes.

Because of the chrome fork, I’ll probably do a black stem and bar. I scrolled back a bit and saw that the bike came with a 130mm stem.

Ooo. I'd love to see that post. Is it from the 80's? I'm not aware that Nitto makes any that size currently....

The stem on my Cimarron, which is one of the few original parts I kept is a Suntour XC. Aluminum extension and steel quill shaft. It's for a 1" steerer tube -- quill shaft is 22.2mm, pretty sure.

- Oliver H.
Old 08-23-20, 11:48 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I got over $600 from selling the original parts from my Cimarron. So it's possible you could make money on this purchase. Mine was older and included the valuable Suntour "Beartrap" pedals.
I've never been a fan of stripping a bike in order to sell its parts. My own Cimarron was built up from a frameset with parts I already had and wanted on it. If I wanted original parts then buying the red one might be the way but I'm not interested. I was just putting it out there for those in the throes of Cimalust.
Old 08-23-20, 12:46 PM
countalmaviva 

I've never been a fan of stripping a bike in order to sell its parts. My own Cimarron was built up from a frameset with parts I already had and wanted on it. If I wanted original parts then buying the red one might be the way but I'm not interested. I was just putting it out there for those in the throes of Cimalust.
thumpism , I feel the same way about stripping a frame, actually. I took delivery of my Cimarron in Feb, intending to keep the parts. Then our household income fell to zero when the pandemic set in (we're both singers). So, in this case, selling the parts, which were in excellent condition, made the most sense. The part I most regretted selling was the original XT crank. Mint condition, and the aluminum Biopace rings had next to no wear!

Cheers,
Oliver H.
Old 08-23-20, 01:06 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

thumpism , I feel the same way about stripping a frame, actually. I took delivery of my Cimarron in Feb, intending to keep the parts. Then our household income fell to zero when the pandemic set in (we're both singers). So, in this case, selling the parts, which were in excellent condition, made the most sense. The part I most regretted selling was the original XT crank. Mint condition, and the aluminum Biopace rings had next to no wear!.
Sorry for your situation. Did not mean to imply that parts strippers are the moral equivalent of puppy kickers or the like. We've been extremely fortunate to have very little discomfort or inconvenience during the pandemic and we do not condemn someone for doing what must be done to survive in such conditions. Good luck!
Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-24-20, 09:01 AM
countalmaviva 

No worries, thumpism . I'm aware that parting out a bike is not going to be popular, especially on a thread about a vintage bike! I wanted to share my experience for informational purposes. I was surprised to discover how much the parts were worth from my old Cimarron. Some parts I don't miss were those clunky old first gen XT levers, though!

BTW, have you posted photos of your bikes anywhere? I'd love to see your Paramount and Nishiki!

- Oliver H.
Old 08-24-20, 12:28 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I was just putting it out there for those in the throes of Cimalust.
I like that, but I must confess to be guilty of Cimalust. When I got my Cim only the stem needed to be replaced, and I found that here on BF, but it was missing the little SunTour button. I think I got it from Mountain Dave; but a few weeks later he found the button and sent it to me. Rejoice!

But the seat post was missing some hardware and I had to cobble together a fix. It works and it looks fine until you take a close look under the seat - it is a cludge. I would love to find either the hardware or a decent replacement.
Old 08-25-20, 09:49 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

No worries, thumpism .

BTW, have you posted photos of your bikes anywhere? I'd love to see your Paramount and Nishiki!
The Paramount is in a couple and the Nishiki in a couple more, but I'll post two quick ones here for you.

Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-27-20, 11:44 AM
gravelinmygears 

What is the rear spacing on the 89? My frame doesn't arrive until tomorrow but I have an opportunity to get some wheels today.
Old 08-28-20, 10:37 AM
countalmaviva 

My '86 was 130mm, but that was smack in the era of the transition to 135mm. I wouldn't be surprised if your '89 is 135mm. If the wheels are 135mm and you really like them, I wouldn't hesitate.

- Oliver H.
Old 08-29-20, 04:59 PM
gravelinmygears 

It is most definitely 130mm. The 135 just couldn’t get in there.

For those who were witness to the auction, the frame is definitely not “new in box.” There was a crank and rear derailleur installed at one point that took off paint. There are nicks in the paint throughout and they shipped the frame with the fork taped to it. It ground into the rear dropout and shaved off some paint.

And it turns out that it has a 22” seat tube. Not a 20.

My '86 was 130mm, but that was smack in the era of the transition to 135mm. I wouldn't be surprised if your '89 is 135mm. If the wheels are 135mm and you really like them, I wouldn't hesitate.

- Oliver H.

Last edited by gravelinmygears; 08-29-20 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-30-20, 12:25 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts

On the other hand, it would cost well over $500 to acquire these parts in good condition.

Cheers,
Oliver H.
Crap, I think that's my size. The ad, at least, is still up. I'm very glad it's on the wrong end of the continent, because I do. not. need. another bike.
Old 09-06-20, 05:32 PM
gravelinmygears 

22” Cimarron

If anyone’s following the story, the smoky red cimarron that was won on eBay has been returned to the seller. So if you’re looking for a 22” Cimarron frame, I imagine it will be up for sale this coming week.
Old 09-06-20, 08:26 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If anyone’s following the story, the smoky red cimarron that was won on eBay has been returned to the seller. So if you’re looking for a 22” Cimarron frame, I imagine it will be up for sale this coming week.
Why did you end up returning it? Hadn't checked into this thread for a bit, but I was watching the auctions for that and the paramountain.
Old 09-06-20, 08:44 PM
gravelinmygears 

The ad said it had a 20” seat tube and that it was new in box. It turned out that it was a 22” and had obviously been built before.
Old 10-02-20, 11:54 AM
orloved

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I figured I should chime in and say the frame is on its road to recovery! New seat stays getting brazed on, and the rear hub spacing is going up to 135mm, too for a more modern hub! Not really necessary as 48-38-28 x 14-32 is all the gears I'd need, but it's a fun chance to build a new wheelset for the first time! Got some rim brake Stans 355s from a buddy and may be nabbing some XTR M950 hubs this weekend. Very jazzed.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-an-ex...ibl-1845103584

Also getting mounts for a lowrider rack for the front (my fork has no eyelets, as I've seen on a few Cimarrons) so I'll be able to do some touring on it!
Likes For orloved:
Old 10-02-20, 08:41 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by orloved
I figured I should chime in and say the frame is on its road to recovery! New seat stays getting brazed on, and the rear hub spacing is going up to 135mm, too for a more modern hub! Not really necessary as 48-38-28 x 14-32 is all the gears I'd need, but it's a fun chance to build a new wheelset for the first time! Got some rim brake Stans 355s from a buddy and may be nabbing some XTR M950 hubs this weekend. Very jazzed.

Also getting mounts for a lowrider rack for the front (my fork has no eyelets, as I've seen on a few Cimarrons) so I'll be able to do some touring on it!
I'm looking forward to pictures when you get it back together again.
Have fun with the wheel building. I've just finished my first wheel set build for a road bike. Sheldon Brown wheel building pages were a big help. For me the hardest part was making sure I got the spoke lengths calculated correctly. I don't have any real options besides ordering spokes, and was happy that I didn't foul that up.
Dave
Old 10-04-20, 06:40 PM
countalmaviva 

orloved I ended up adding the same repair on my Cimarron. My original problem was a cracked BB shell. The only frame builder I found to agree to the repair was Jack Trumbull of Franklin Frames in Ohio. In the process, he found that the seat stays were not well-attached at the seat junction, just like yours!

The new repairs are immaculate. I highly recommend Jack if other folks want to pursue a difficult repair.

Cheers,
Oliver H.

Originally Posted by orloved

Likes For countalmaviva:
Old 11-21-20, 02:24 PM
LBCwanabe 

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts
The ad said it had a 20” seat tube and that it was new in box. It turned out that it was a 22” and had obviously been built before.
I think this is the very same frame that I just purchased. It has some shelf wear for sure, but it is my size.the small chips don’t bother me too much. The fork/steerer tube was a tight fit...

I think I have all the parts in the bin to build it out except the seatpost. I think it is 26.8mm but my micrometer broke so I can’t tell for sure.

Likes For LBCwanabe:
Old 11-22-20, 04:10 PM
orloved

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
if you're curious, my seatpost is a 26.6, as are all the other things I've seen about Cimarrons! I'd be surprised if it changed.
Old 11-23-20, 09:31 AM
countalmaviva 

Cimarron at Cimarron!

The name of the road is Cimarron, but there was no street sign. This is in Westchester County, NY.

Likes For countalmaviva:
Old 11-27-20, 06:14 PM
LBCwanabe 

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts
Built

Likes For LBCwanabe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.