Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Front Brake only

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Front Brake only

Old 09-20-20, 04:36 AM
cumulo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Front Brake only

Hello, I'm going to renovate an old folding bicycle with 20" wheels soon. It only has a front brake, the rear was rusty and scrapped. As it's just going to be an occasional use bike, folded up in a car trunk, and I'm not going for restoration I was wondering if I could get away with having only a front brake. As well as a "cleaner" custom look, It's a bit less weight and less cable and levers etc. to get in the way when folding. I'm not fitting mudguards either. I was wondering if anyone here has only a front brake on their bike. I'm a six foot chap and not light so I doubt I would be thrown over the handlebars if I braked hard, but maybe I'm fooling myself and I really should have front and rear no matter.
Old 09-20-20, 05:55 AM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
I built a fixed gear bike a while ago with only a front brake. Some fixies are brakeless, but I wasn't about to go that route. I felt perfectly safe and was able to stop just about as fast as if there was a rear brake since it's possible to have enough weight transfer to the front wheel that the rear wheel is not doing any braking at all.

The only time I would really miss a rear brake would be downhill on a sketchy surface where inadvertently locking the rear wouldn't be nearly as unstable as locking the front. This was never an issue on my fixie, but it could be on my regular road bike.
Old 09-20-20, 10:12 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
The front brake is 90 percent of your stopping power. If you know how to use it you will be fine.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-21-20, 08:53 AM
cumulo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah, thanks chaps. I think I'll try it then. I can always fit a rear one later if I don't get on with only having a front brake.
Likes For cumulo:
Old 09-26-20, 06:41 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
On my shopping folder I have a front brake and a coaster brake hub on the rear. Mostly I use the front brake but sometimes the hub brake is useful, especially when loaded or some oik tries to pull out in front of me.
Old 09-26-20, 10:25 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by fujidon
I built a fixed gear bike a while ago with only a front brake. Some fixies are brakeless, but I wasn't about to go that route. I felt perfectly safe and was able to stop just about as fast as if there was a rear brake since it's possible to have enough weight transfer to the front wheel that the rear wheel is not doing any braking at all.

The only time I would really miss a rear brake would be downhill on a sketchy surface where inadvertently locking the rear wouldn't be nearly as unstable as locking the front. This was never an issue on my fixie, but it could be on my regular road bike.
I installed the front brake on all my fixed gear. But I always try to brake in such a way that I don't use the front brake. On the fix, this is braking with connecting rods in the opposite direction. Sometimes I even hit the other hand with one hand, which reaches for the front brake. so I get a smooth braking and adjusted to the millimeter.
Old 10-09-20, 06:28 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cumulo
Hello, I'm going to renovate an old folding bicycle with 20" wheels soon. It only has a front brake, the rear was rusty and scrapped. As it's just going to be an occasional use bike, folded up in a car trunk, and I'm not going for restoration I was wondering if I could get away with having only a front brake. As well as a "cleaner" custom look, It's a bit less weight and less cable and levers etc. to get in the way when folding. I'm not fitting mudguards either. I was wondering if anyone here has only a front brake on their bike. I'm a six foot chap and not light so I doubt I would be thrown over the handlebars if I braked hard, but maybe I'm fooling myself and I really should have front and rear no matter.
,,,,,, don't know why you want brakes at all , all they do is slow you down ...
Old 10-15-20, 05:23 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
If a cable breaks you will be walking (or hitting the bushes to stop)
Old 10-18-20, 04:09 AM
gergokee

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Walking is also a way of getting somewhere
Old 10-21-20, 12:44 PM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
On fixed gear without brakes, there is another interesting way to brake - it's with a slipper.
Old 10-21-20, 02:01 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I used to have a fix / free that I only kept a front brake on. I mostly rode fixed and only needed the brake on downhills. It worked fine when using the freewheel, but I kept my speed reasonable on long hills just to be sure.
Old 12-17-20, 06:52 AM
Daffos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
only
Old 12-18-20, 11:21 PM
sorenmad

Bikes: 2008 Felt TK2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If a cable breaks you will be walking (or hitting the bushes to stop)
also make sure you trust the last person to claim it is set up properly.

locale could be an issue, here in north van I felt a bit dodgy at times on long steep hills with one brake,//
Old 12-19-20, 02:37 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
If you have only a front brake you need to ride accordingly. You can use rear brakes when turning. With a front brake only, you need to do all of your braking before turns.

If it was me, I would be fitting a rear brake. Safety is very important. If you have an accident once, it is too often.