Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Winter project bike done!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 04:34 PM
feejer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Got to test ride my new Trek 920 size 61, my first complete frame set build. Gotta say, this is going to be a very fun bike once I get it dialed in and properly fitted up. Velocity Cliffhanger 32 spoke rims with Deore hubs, Maxxis Rambler 50's with Blackburn Central fenders, MicroShift R8 shifters, Spyre mech brakes. I kept this a 3x8 because that gearing works perfectly well for the riding I do, and all of our other bikes are 3x8 so swapping them on and off the Kickr Core is effortless. I still need a rack solution, those big tires and fender are making it difficult to find a tall enough rear rack, but I'll find something eventually. The rear setback post is perfect for me, I can finally feel somewhat balanced on a bike! Hopefully that seatpost will hold up, but it feels much stronger than I was expecting. Not bad for 20 bucks! I came in a few hundred over the MSRP of the 920, but this one is setup just how I would have wanted it in the first place, and I definitely wanted tougher wheels for my clydeness. I left the stem and cabling long until I settle on a good fit, then I'll tidy everything up. I also need to work on these Spyre brakes, I'm not getting near enough power out of them yet, but I'm still working on it. When I recable the bike it'll get compressionless brake housing, which might help some. Anyway, here's a few picks. I'm really happy with how it turned out, can't wait to get it out on the trails!

Old 04-04-21, 07:55 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Very nice! It’s a great feeling. Makes the arrival of Spring even more welcome.
Old 04-05-21, 09:11 AM
feejer

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Very nice! It’s a great feeling. Makes the arrival of Spring even more welcome.
Thanks! And it sure does.
Old 04-06-21, 07:24 PM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Good job ! looks like a great ride.It's fun to see your project come out so nice.
Old 04-06-21, 08:22 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Nice. I like that frame, it's just cool looking. And super practical.
Old 04-06-21, 09:13 PM
feejer

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Nice. I like that frame, it's just cool looking. And super practical.
The matte tan and bigger tires give it kind of a humvee look, which is pretty cool. The paint is kind of fragile though, so I expect in no time it’ll have that “served a few tours” beat up humvee look going.