Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Columbus tubing?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Columbus tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-21, 08:41 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Columbus tubing?

I have a Gino Liotto with Columbus tubing, it's kinda triangular shaped and very light. I think the bike was built in the 90's I think it has the name Aquila on the top tube. I've never seen or heard of another like it. I bought it from a guy in the military that had it custom made when he was stationed in Germany it hardly been ridden like new condition. anybody else got one or heard of them?
Old 04-24-21, 08:55 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
I have a Gino Liotto with Columbus tubing, it's kinda triangular shaped and very light. I think the bike was built in the 90's I think it has the name Aquila on the top tube. I've never seen or heard of another like it. I bought it from a guy in the military that had it custom made when he was stationed in Germany it hardly been ridden like new condition. anybody else got one or heard of them?
Have you seen this, is the one bike in the picture your's now?

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Liotto-Gino.htm

Looks like they are still in business also. I've had good luck reaching out to various builders for details on their old bike. Billato, Jan De Rues, Eddy Martens, Duell, and even Dario Pegoretti have responded to me about various bikes when I emailed them.

https://www.liotto.com/

They have contact info at the site. In the past I'll translate an email into their language out of respect and send it off.

Last edited by jamesdak; 04-24-21 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-24-21, 09:04 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Oh, and give us some pictures of it. We are suckers for pictures and it also helps to identify the characteristics of the bike.
Old 04-24-21, 10:16 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

This is my Liotto Aquila, it had Campy Zonda wheels but I took these Zip 404s off a Kuota Kharma and switched them. It's all Campy Titanium components
Old 04-24-21, 10:34 AM
jamesdak 

Oh, yeah, nice!

Newer than I was expecting though. I'm betting the company would be able to give you all the answers you want if you reach out to them.
Old 04-24-21, 10:44 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Aluminum with carbon stays and Columbus Muscle fork.

very nice bike, ...errrr...Rocketship. With carbon wheels and supple tires it will ride better than when new.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-24-21 at 10:50 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-24-21, 06:14 PM
Mark Dominck

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Aluminum with carbon stays and Columbus Muscle fork.

very nice bike, ...errrr...Rocketship. With carbon wheels and supple tires it will ride better than when new.
It's 90S I believe, much newer than most of my bikes. I notice you have an Austro also, I have a Pacifica pretty much all original, I hate to mess with it it's so original, I think even the front tire is original but the rear tire looks replaced. Suntour as I recall with maybe Weinman brakes and hubs.
Old 04-24-21, 07:21 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
It's 90S I believe, much newer than most of my bikes. I notice you have an Austro also, I have a Pacifica pretty much all original, I hate to mess with it it's so original, I think even the front tire is original but the rear tire looks replaced. Suntour as I recall with maybe Weinman brakes and hubs.
Columbus strategy for a while of selling complete framesets (into what was an emerging market) for Al+CF frames. Leveraged nicely their CF fork technology into a rear fork with stiff CF chainstays. Also simple new 'kits' to many aluminum bike builders wanting to sell the 'vibration absorption' of CF in a rear triangle.

As to the ADs - i simply fell in love with the ride of a large Olympian with narrow tires. Duplicated it with the Vent Noir. Embraced the brand with a step-thru Michelle for the wife, which she never rode, but I had the foresight to get in a XLarge frame size.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-24-21 at 07:25 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-24-21, 07:24 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'd put this into the mid 2000s.
Old 04-24-21, 08:47 PM
Mark Dominck

Columbus strategy for a while of selling complete framesets (into what was an emerging market) for Al+CF frames. Leveraged nicely their CF fork technology into a rear fork with stiff CF chainstays. Also simple new 'kits' to many aluminum bike builders wanting to sell the 'vibration absorption' of CF in a rear triangle.

As to the ADs - i simply fell in love with the ride of a large Olympian with narrow tires. Duplicated it with the Vent Noir. Embraced the brand with a step-thru Michelle for the wife, which she never rode, but I had the foresight to get in a XLarge frame size.
I must say you do have a fine collection. Speaking of narrow tires, I put some very narrow Vittoria Corsas on one of my Vitus 979s and I really like the way it now handles. Got to watch out with those Zipp 404s a side wind gust can put you in the middle of the road real quick,no napping on a windy day like today.
Old 04-24-21, 09:47 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Only paid racers and 'brave' men ride deep dish wheels on any regular basis.

With that bike there is no napping permitted.
Old 04-25-21, 12:18 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
My Marinoni features Columbus Focus tubing. I love riding this bike even though it does not feature external lugs...

Triangular (sort of) tubing that turned me off when I first saw the bike but for $240.00 CND I decided to take a chance. Glad I did...
Old 04-25-21, 07:51 AM
Mark Dominck

Only paid racers and 'brave' men ride deep dish wheels on any regular basis.

With that bike there is no napping permitted.
I hear what you're saying but sometimes those wind gusts can be sneaky and catch you coming off a short down grade at 30mph and glancing down at the computer then poof the whole bike just moves over a foot. I like these lightweight bikes but you better hang on. I've never wrecked because of it but it sure gets my attention back when it happens. I have several bikes so I don't ride this one every day and I don't get paid and when I get near 30mph I tap the brakes so I'm not that brave either haha.