Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

leg cramps

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-21, 02:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
If I do nothing other than stand on the cramping leg, the cramp will last about 75 seconds. If I drink pickle juice, eat mustard or whatever, it miraculously goes away after about a minute and a quarter.

I'm not going to link again to all of the literature that says cramps have nothing to do with electrolytes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-21, 02:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
use Morton Lite salt instead of regular salt.

Regular Salt: 590 grams of sodium per serving

Morton Lite: 290 grams of sodium 350 grams potassium.

and you can use it for DIY gatorade.
I wonder why they call it "Lite" salt, since Potassium has a higher atomic weight? Wouldn't that make it heavier, on a molar basis?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-28-21, 02:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by genejockey
I wonder why they call it "Lite" salt, since Potassium has a higher atomic weight? Wouldn't that make it heavier, on a molar basis?

And then there's the whole "tastes like crap" issue.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-21, 02:58 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Camps are basically voodoo witchcraft anyway...which is why there's so many "cures" out there.

Some research, if you're so inclined.

Exercised-Associated Muscle Cramps = EAMC

Hydration likely not a factor:
Early studies, which did not directly measure hydration in workers and fireman experiencing cramps, treated study participants with fluids and electrolytes to manage muscle cramps. However, more recent studies, which have estimated measures of blood volume and plasma volume, do not support the hypothesis of a direct relationship between dehydration and EAMC.
Schwellnus, M.P., Derman, E.W., and Noakes, T.D. (1997). Aetology of skeletal muscle 'cramps' during exercise: A novel hypothesis. Journal of Sports Science, 15(3), 277-285.

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Extras7/CrampsFig1.gif

THE EFFECT OF 5% HYPOHYDRATION ON MUSCLE CRAMP THRESHOLD FREQUENCY (https://library.ndsu.edu/ir/bitstrea...=1&isAllowed=y)

More Hydration Research
Serum electrolyte concentrations and hydration status are not associated with exercise associated muscle cramping (EAMC) in distance runners (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1724901/)
"There are no clinically significant alterations in serum electrolyte concentrations and there is no alteration in hydration status in runners with EAMC participating in an ultra-distance race"

Review finds painfully few surefire treatments for muscle cramps (https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...le-cramps.html)
"There is no solid formal evidence that either drinking water (tonic or otherwise) or stretching, two frequently cited non-drug approaches to reducing muscle cramps, effectively counters them. Still, neither method is likely to cause much harm if practiced in moderation. Other muscle-cramp treatments reviewed in this study include vitamin B complex, calcium-channel blocking agents often prescribed for hypertension, and anti-epileptic drugs. But the investigators concluded that more research is needed to assess the efficacy of these alternatives. “The relative lack of data on many of these compounds came as a surprise."

Banananananana's
“People are often told by their mates ‘you need to eat bananas because you need potassium’. “For starters, bananas don’t have tons of potassium in them. And even if they had, that’s probably not going to be the likely scenario, because being deficient in potassium is quite a serious condition. “Ironically, it may cause cramps; potassium is the counterbalancing electrolyte to sodium in fluid balance. But most people aren’t walking round with a severe potassium deficiency, if they were they’d be hospitalized.”

The scientific evidence of a neuromuscular theory is mounting (Giuriato, G., Pedrinolla, A., Schena, F., and Venturelli, M. (2018). Muscle cramps: a comparison of the two-leading hypothesis. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 41: 89-95.). The research appears to show that in some incidences, fatigued muscle is unable to fully relax. This condition leads to the imbalance of excitatory signals in relation to inhibitory messages to the muscle. Thus, current research findings appear to suggest that the central origin theory is the primary mechanism responsible for the muscle cramp.

My wife has used pickle juice a few times to get over cramps, I've not found anything that works other than being in better "condition" seems to eliminate cramping in my case. The more hard efforts I've done "in training" the less cramping I experience when doing harder efforts outside.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 04-28-21 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 06:52 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I’ve tried the Acupinch method for relieving cramps over the past 20 years........with 0% success. Maybe it’ll work for some of you.

acupinch
Old 04-29-21, 07:49 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
i know you think I was kidding about lavender oil but it really does relieve the cramp with in a minute,however I usually do stand up straight and use profanities so it might be a combination of all these suggested remedies seriously. I havn't tried pickle juice yet or mustard but I'll give it a go. And you are right I did ride over twice my normal ride that day but it was through the farm flats and my normal rides are in the hilly above the valley so it wasn't much more difficult. I'm really amazed how sympathetic everyone is, I really expected more laughter like my wife does! I usually have to scream SHUT UP!! to get her to stop haha!
Old 04-29-21, 08:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Camps are basically voodoo witchcraft anyway...which is why there's so many "cures" out there.

Some research, if you're so inclined.

Exercised-Associated Muscle Cramps = EAMC

Hydration likely not a factor:
Early studies, which did not directly measure hydration in workers and fireman experiencing cramps, treated study participants with fluids and electrolytes to manage muscle cramps. However, more recent studies, which have estimated measures of blood volume and plasma volume, do not support the hypothesis of a direct relationship between dehydration and EAMC.
Schwellnus, M.P., Derman, E.W., and Noakes, T.D. (1997). Aetology of skeletal muscle 'cramps' during exercise: A novel hypothesis. Journal of Sports Science, 15(3), 277-285.

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Extras7/CrampsFig1.gif

THE EFFECT OF 5% HYPOHYDRATION ON MUSCLE CRAMP THRESHOLD FREQUENCY (https://library.ndsu.edu/ir/bitstrea...=1&isAllowed=y)

More Hydration Research
Serum electrolyte concentrations and hydration status are not associated with exercise associated muscle cramping (EAMC) in distance runners (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1724901/)
"There are no clinically significant alterations in serum electrolyte concentrations and there is no alteration in hydration status in runners with EAMC participating in an ultra-distance race"

Review finds painfully few surefire treatments for muscle cramps (https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...le-cramps.html)
"There is no solid formal evidence that either drinking water (tonic or otherwise) or stretching, two frequently cited non-drug approaches to reducing muscle cramps, effectively counters them. Still, neither method is likely to cause much harm if practiced in moderation. Other muscle-cramp treatments reviewed in this study include vitamin B complex, calcium-channel blocking agents often prescribed for hypertension, and anti-epileptic drugs. But the investigators concluded that more research is needed to assess the efficacy of these alternatives. “The relative lack of data on many of these compounds came as a surprise."

Banananananana's
“People are often told by their mates ‘you need to eat bananas because you need potassium’. “For starters, bananas don’t have tons of potassium in them. And even if they had, that’s probably not going to be the likely scenario, because being deficient in potassium is quite a serious condition. “Ironically, it may cause cramps; potassium is the counterbalancing electrolyte to sodium in fluid balance. But most people aren’t walking round with a severe potassium deficiency, if they were they’d be hospitalized.”

The scientific evidence of a neuromuscular theory is mounting (Giuriato, G., Pedrinolla, A., Schena, F., and Venturelli, M. (2018). Muscle cramps: a comparison of the two-leading hypothesis. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 41: 89-95.). The research appears to show that in some incidences, fatigued muscle is unable to fully relax. This condition leads to the imbalance of excitatory signals in relation to inhibitory messages to the muscle. Thus, current research findings appear to suggest that the central origin theory is the primary mechanism responsible for the muscle cramp.

My wife has used pickle juice a few times to get over cramps, I've not found anything that works other than being in better "condition" seems to eliminate cramping in my case. The more hard efforts I've done "in training" the less cramping I experience when doing harder efforts outside.

People can't even agree on lack of which electrolyte is supposed to be the cause (magnesium was a popular candidate on BF for a while), but the whole electrolyte thing doesn't make any sense. A cramp is usually a very localized phenomenon, generally only happening to only one muscle at a time, and for a very limited duration. Electrolyte deficiency is a very serious system-wide health issue--if it were causing cramps, why would it be one muscle at a time, and for such a limited duration?

The reason there's so many "remedies" is very simple. Generally, no matter what you do, the cramp is going to go away in a matter of seconds or minutes, so it's ripe territory for the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

I'm with you, I generally only get cramps when I'm ramping up my activity level.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-29-21, 08:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
i know you think I was kidding about lavender oil but it really does relieve the cramp with in a minute,however I usually do stand up straight and use profanities so it might be a combination of all these suggested remedies seriously. I havn't tried pickle juice yet or mustard but I'll give it a go. And you are right I did ride over twice my normal ride that day but it was through the farm flats and my normal rides are in the hilly above the valley so it wasn't much more difficult. I'm really amazed how sympathetic everyone is, I really expected more laughter like my wife does! I usually have to scream SHUT UP!! to get her to stop haha!

Laughing at someone who's having a cramp doesn't strike me as a good idea unless you want the stream of profanities to be aimed at you.
Old 04-29-21, 08:54 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Cramps are 90% half mental. The other half is physical. I think it's clear that I usually have cramps when I exert myself too much or for too long. Heat makes things worse because it reduces muscular capacity. That's why cramps usually happen in the spring, before you train enough in the heat to build up your muscles to withstand it. The problem that leaves is how to get back to the finish once you start cramping? I have high blood pressure so salts are bad. Also, potassium is corrosive, so most electrolyte pills can cause gastric distress if you use too many. I found that just the act of taking one will immediately cause a cramp to go away in most cases, so I started just putting one in my mouth. And that works, until the casing explodes and you end up with a big mouth ulcer. So I spit them out once they start to feel soft. I thoughts about making something that I don't have to ingest or worry about exploding in my mouth, but haven't gotten around to experimenting yet.
Old 04-29-21, 08:54 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I scream "SHUT UP" to my wife all the time, she don't listen! Maybe if I applied lavender oil to her ears she "might" listen...nah, I'll just stick a pickle in my mouth and forget it.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 04-29-21, 09:47 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
...I'm really amazed how sympathetic everyone is, I really expected more laughter like my wife does! ...
Well, I'm too busy laughing at Riveting, laying on the side of the road for 30 minutes, watching the muscles twitch.

Originally Posted by Riveting
While riding a 200k in northern New Mexico (Strava link) I've had both quads simultaneously spasm HARD during a big day of fast riding and a fair amount of climbing behind two other riders who were much stronger and much lighter than I, so I spent too much time putting out big efforts trying to not get dropped and didn't focus on my hydration like I knew I should have. Once it happened, I stopped and unclipped, but then I couldn't get off the bike since both legs were soooo locked up and in excruciating pain, that I had to let myself fall over onto the ground gracefully and I just laid there for 30 minutes watching my muscles writhe and twitch while the other riders went up Capulin Volcano without me (though they got rained out and couldn't make it to the top, which made me feel a little less bad about not attempting it). I learned a life lesson about hydration that day, that's for sure.
It's a sympathetic laugh, really. Just a great image of the helplessness you feel when a cramp hits like that.

First ride today in a long time. Gonna go drink some water, thanks.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 04-29-21, 11:05 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Laughing at someone who's having a cramp doesn't strike me as a good idea unless you want the stream of profanities to be aimed at you.
Yeah, but it's unlikely they'd be able to chase you down and hurt you physically, what with the leg cramp and all.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-29-21, 12:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genejockey
Yeah, but it's unlikely they'd be able to chase you down and hurt you physically, what with the leg cramp and all.
Keep in mind that they'll remember it when it's your turn to have the cramp.
Old 04-29-21, 12:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Cramps are 90% half mental. The other half is physical. I think it's clear that I usually have cramps when I exert myself too much or for too long. Heat makes things worse because it reduces muscular capacity. That's why cramps usually happen in the spring, before you train enough in the heat to build up your muscles to withstand it. The problem that leaves is how to get back to the finish once you start cramping? I have high blood pressure so salts are bad. Also, potassium is corrosive, so most electrolyte pills can cause gastric distress if you use too many. I found that just the act of taking one will immediately cause a cramp to go away in most cases, so I started just putting one in my mouth. And that works, until the casing explodes and you end up with a big mouth ulcer. So I spit them out once they start to feel soft. I thoughts about making something that I don't have to ingest or worry about exploding in my mouth, but haven't gotten around to experimenting yet.
Have you considered eating a Tic Tac instead of a pill?
Old 04-29-21, 02:39 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Woke up at 5:30 this morning with a cramped calf muscle that was excrutiating. Felt like a solid lump in the calf.

Out of pure desperation I looked for pickles to try the pickle juice option - all I had was sauerkraut. Worked almost instantly much to my relief. The cramp was gone before I got back to bed

I'm guessing the magic is the vinegar: it's the common ingredient between pickle juice, sauerkraut juice and the mustard mentioned above.

Not sure if the magic is anything other than confusing the brain.

I don't even care - I'm just super happy that it worked, and worked so fast.
Old 04-29-21, 02:50 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
This works Good w two swigs

Old 04-29-21, 03:23 PM
Hericann

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you find cramps creeping up on you when you ride, there's a possibility that you lack potassium.
Eat more bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes and mushrooms! Though, I personally tried applying coconut oil and it works.
Old 04-29-21, 06:53 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Hericann
If you find cramps creeping up on you when you ride, there's a possibility that you lack potassium.
Eat more bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes and mushrooms! Though, I personally tried applying coconut oil and it works.
For some unknown reason, bananas don't do a darn thing for me, not sure about potatoes, but mushrooms don't work either for me either. I find I cramp more when I try spinning at a higher 80 plus RPMs, figure that one out. When I pedal past the 80's and I feel a cramp coming on, which usually takes about an hour, then I slow the cadience down but shift into a harder gear to maintain my speed then the cramping will slowly go away, then go back to higher RPM in an easier gear and slowing it returns.
Old 04-29-21, 07:13 PM
Ayeobe

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
I've been so lazy in the last ...too long, i totally forgot about leg cramps!
You've got me quite worried now. i have not ridden in 12 years, and im lovin it so much i just did 12km.. only stopped cos it was getting late heh
Old 04-29-21, 07:19 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
my wife has me rub lavender oil on it and it works good. Almost instant relief
Never heard of using it on cramps, but lavender oil is great for burns. I was skeptical but it totally kills the pain. So I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-30-21, 02:54 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Happens to us all when we're pushing hard.
That's why I only soft pedal now.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-30-21, 03:00 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
This works Good w two swigs
This works better, IMO
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-30-21, 05:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Hericann

If you lack potassium, you're going to be too sick to ride. This "connection" has been thoroughly debunked. Eating that stuff is fine, but I get a little up in arms about this because people start gobbling down pills and powders, and that really can be risky.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-30-21, 05:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
How Does A Teaspoon of Mustard Cure Muscle Cramps? | The People's Pharmacy (peoplespharmacy.com)

Is there hope for leg cramp sufferers? - Harvard Health

The taste of mustard and pickle juice are believed to affect on the central nervous system, ultimately turning off overexcited neurons.
How 'bout pickle relish? That also comes in fast food packets, right?
Old 04-30-21, 05:59 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I know it makes no sense to me either it's my wives remedy she keeps several small bottles by my night stand and in the bathroom in case I wake up howling in the night and believe me it works. I actually rarely get cramps I guess it's only when I get frisky and over do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.