Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek Verve Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 03:00 PM
Nate8727

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Hello all,

There are official Trek DS and FX threads, so since there are so many owners of the Verve, why not have our own also?

Feel free to post Pics, Info, News, Suggestions, etc...

Happy Riding!
Old 03-09-21, 07:05 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
This is a 2015 Verve 3 that I owned a few years ago. It was a very smooth-riding bike and had a really stunning color combination (dark gloss black with gloss metallic blue).

The primary reason I sold it is no longer relevant to current Verves: tire clearance. It came with 35s and that really is all you could run with fenders on this particular frame. The tires you see on it are Continental Speed Rides that are labeled 42mm but are really about 38mm. These just barely squeezed into this frame (the closest clearance was at the chain stay bridge area).

Old 04-04-21, 10:45 AM
Poks2k

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought home a 2021 Verve 3 (gunmetal). So far am very happy with it.
Likes For Poks2k:
Old 04-06-21, 11:05 AM
Stinkring

Bikes: Trek FX 3 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm new to this forum and I'm taking delivery of a new Verve 3 next week also in gunmetal. The problem is I already want a Trek FX Sport Carbon 4.

Last edited by Stinkring; 04-06-21 at 11:08 AM.
Likes For Stinkring:
Old 04-19-21, 03:33 PM
johbren

Bikes: specialized crossroads terra trike rover

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
waiting on mynew verve 2. pushed back to august now
Old 05-09-21, 11:02 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
Bought new in January 2020 to celebrate successful cancer surgery. Got it just before the inventory was gone!
Likes For 05 fuji:
Old 05-19-21, 08:15 AM
Stinkring

Bikes: Trek FX 3 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anyone know the spindle size on the 2021 Verve 1? Picking up a new one today for my wife and would like to change the stock pedals immediately. I'm guessing maybe 15mm? Thanks...
Old 05-30-21, 09:36 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts

2019 Verve 2. Bought April 2019. Currently a little over 17,000 kms. Changed the seat and handlebars right away. Do like Trekking bars. Had to replace the rims with Mavics after two failures under warranty. Went from the H5's to Contact Speed 42's. Just replaced the rear with a Contract Travel 50. Thought I might have to take the rear fender off but it fit great.
Likes For WarrenR:
Old 07-01-21, 12:01 AM
SK 99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johbren
waiting on mynew verve 2. pushed back to august now
Yeah, I was looking at getting a Verve 1 or 2 from my local Trek store (northwest Columbus). They said the Verve 2 Disc isn't available until late summer and they couldn't even get me an ETA on the 1 Disc.
Old 08-06-21, 12:02 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
I need a few more posts before I can post pictures. I recently purchased two 2021 Verve 2 Disk bicycles. One with an XL frame (mine) and one with a Low Step small frame (wife) both in Lithium Grey. Both are running a DuoTrap S sensor. I have a lot more mods planned for mine… not sure if the wife is going to customize hers or not.

Last edited by M Rose; 08-09-21 at 09:05 AM.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 08-07-21, 02:38 PM
M Rose

Has anybody upgraded their wheel/tire to Tubless on their Verve? I am going to be running my Verve on a lot of gravel washboard roads where the washboards go on for several miles at a time. Im scared to drop my air pressure too low right now and pinching the tubes.
Old 08-31-21, 05:20 PM
M Rose

More upgrades

I added the DuoTrap S+ speed and cadence sensor, dual commuter Paniers, and today added some generic egro grips with bar ends from Amazon…

Likes For M Rose:
Old 10-03-21, 05:24 AM
luteplayers

Bikes: Trek Verve 2 Disc, Rage Red

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I am patiently awaiting a Verve 2, and my wife is doing the same for her Verve 2 Low Step. Both are Rage Red. November can't come soon enough.

We gave our Diamondbacks to her daughter before moving to North Carolina from Maine, so we are bikeless at the moment.

We are going back to Maine and Massachusetts for 3 weeks to attend 2 family weddings, so the wait won't be as bad
Likes For luteplayers:
Old 11-15-21, 10:26 PM
luteplayers

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
M Rose, are those grips the Prunus that I see on Amazon? Thinking of ergo bar end grips, and those look like a good affordable option to the Ergon GP ones. Just wondering if they are comfortable and hold up.
Old 11-15-21, 10:39 PM
M Rose

Originally Posted by luteplayers
M Rose, are those grips the Prunus that I see on Amazon? Thinking of ergo bar end grips, and those look like a good affordable option to the Ergon GP ones. Just wondering if they are comfortable and hold up.
yes they are the Prunus grips… they feel amazing…. But… huge but… the mounting bolt holes were stripped so I had to drill out one size larger and rethread the holes for a larger set screw… the first time the bike fell over (wind knocked it down) the end grips stripped out the mounting holes again… the grips now live in my tool box, and I have a set of Ergon GP3s on now… the comfort is about the same, but the quality is so much more.

Last edited by M Rose; 11-16-21 at 05:55 AM.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 12-16-21, 07:29 PM
luteplayers

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
We have picked up our bikes. The Trek store gave me 10% off a Kuat Transfer V2 to price match my REI discount as well.

One thing that confused me was the skewers. I went to take off the front wheel to fit it in the back of the SUV thinking it had a QR skewer. It actually had a Thru Axle, but it looks like a 5mm and has a cam lock.

The only info I have been able to find online is one other person that had something similar on a Giant.

ETA: After a little more research, it appears that it is called ThruSkew. I wonder if they came up with this as a less expensive way to do closed drop outs on disc models without going to full Thru Axles.
Thus is what it looks like:

Last edited by luteplayers; 12-16-21 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-17-21, 08:59 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by luteplayers
ETA: After a little more research, it appears that it is called ThruSkew. I wonder if they came up with this as a less expensive way to do closed drop outs on disc models without going to full Thru Axles.
Thus is what it looks like:
Yes, this is a design proprietary to Trek. I'm not sure why they didn't use the industry standard "thru axle" system.
Old 12-17-21, 10:58 AM
luteplayers

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
His and hers ready for our first ride.
Likes For luteplayers:
Old 02-08-22, 11:48 AM
RajCaj

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Verve 2 vs Verve 1...worth the upgrade for a new biker?

Hi All - Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I'll be buying a Trek Verve soon and have been back and forth between the Verve 1 and 2. I'm very new to biking, and evaluating components at this level and would love any feedback you have regarding the difference in features / value for the two bikes.

As far as I understand, the biggest differences between the 1 & 2 are...
- 2 has aluminum alloy fork vs steel fork on the 1 (is the 1lb weight difference significant?)
- 2 has hydraulic disc brakes vs mechanical disc brakes on the 1 (is there a big performance difference between the two types?)
- 2 has shock absorption on the seat post vs a solid seat post on the 1 (is this a gimmick or is it effective?)
- 2 has an adjustable rise stem w/ blendr mount vs non-adjustable rise w/o blendr mount on the 1 (what is the benefit of blendr mount...less occupied space on handlebar for accessories?)
- 2 has a Shimano H31 cassette vs SunRace MFM300 on the 1 (any discernable difference for a new biker?)
- 2 has a Shimano Altus M315 shifter vs a Shimano Altus EF500 shifter on the 1 (both are Altus..any discernable difference for a new biker?)
- 2 has a Shimano Tourney TY710 Rear Derailleur vs a Shimano Tourney TY510 Rear Derailleur on the 1 (both are Tourney...any discernable difference for a new biker?)

Price difference between the 2 bikes is about $130 USD...are the upgrades worth the added cost?

Thanks for the education!
Old 02-08-22, 01:38 PM
M Rose

Originally Posted by RajCaj
Hi All - Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I'll be buying a Trek Verve soon and have been back and forth between the Verve 1 and 2. I'm very new to biking, and evaluating components at this level and would love any feedback you have regarding the difference in features / value for the two bikes.

As far as I understand, the biggest differences between the 1 & 2 are...
- 2 has aluminum alloy fork vs steel fork on the 1 (is the 1lb weight difference significant?)
- 2 has hydraulic disc brakes vs mechanical disc brakes on the 1 (is there a big performance difference between the two types?)
- 2 has shock absorption on the seat post vs a solid seat post on the 1 (is this a gimmick or is it effective?)
- 2 has an adjustable rise stem w/ blendr mount vs non-adjustable rise w/o blendr mount on the 1 (what is the benefit of blendr mount...less occupied space on handlebar for accessories?)
- 2 has a Shimano H31 cassette vs SunRace MFM300 on the 1 (any discernable difference for a new biker?)
- 2 has a Shimano Altus M315 shifter vs a Shimano Altus EF500 shifter on the 1 (both are Altus..any discernable difference for a new biker?)
- 2 has a Shimano Tourney TY710 Rear Derailleur vs a Shimano Tourney TY510 Rear Derailleur on the 1 (both are Tourney...any discernable difference for a new biker?)

Price difference between the 2 bikes is about $130 USD...are the upgrades worth the added cost?

Thanks for the education!
are the $130 price differences between the two worth the upgrade? 1st, the suspension seat post when set up correctly is amazing at smoothing out the smaller bumps, so yes it works. In fact works so well I got a suspension dropper for my 520.
next let’s talk the drive train… since we don’t know where you will be riding or how you will be riding, no idea if going up to a 3x8 from a 3x7 would be better. I personally use my top and middle chain ring the most and the bottom half of the rear cassette. I do however go on some gravel rides where I need to be on the bottom chain ring and upper half of the cassette.

Blender Stem. If you’re going to be adding lights, or other Bontrager accessories the blender system offers a very clean way to mount said accessories.

Hydro vs Mechanical Disk:
The Hydraulic Brakes feel way better than the mechanical disk brakes. The Verve was my first step into hydraulic brakes and my 520 will be getting upgraded brakes at some point in its life.

so over all is $130 difference between the two really worth it? Depends on you, if it were me I would say yes.
Old 03-12-22, 09:53 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Finally wore out the OEM tires on my Verve 2. Installed a set of Michelin Protek 700x35. They measure 38mm at 75 psi. Only 50 miles into these but for $20 each they are comfy and very quiet.
Likes For Fendertele:
Old 03-15-22, 08:46 AM
Nate8727

Rode last weekend for the first time this year with the bike trailer and my 2 year old.

Anyone with an instep two seat trailer notice a rattle, just tape the spring on the trailer hitch. That's the cause, and not your bike.

I'm getting some noise when braking on the rear with the Tektro disc brakes (Grinding Type). I tried some rubbing alcohol on the rotor but that didn't do anything. I'll try some bike disc brake cleaning spray next before taking it to the LBS. I believe it's just dust from sitting in the garage all winter, but who knows.
Old 03-17-22, 07:42 AM
Nate8727

Originally Posted by Nate8727
Rode last weekend for the first time this year with the bike trailer and my 2 year old.

Anyone with an instep two seat trailer notice a rattle, just tape the spring on the trailer hitch. That's the cause, and not your bike.

I'm getting some noise when braking on the rear with the Tektro disc brakes (Grinding Type). I tried some rubbing alcohol on the rotor but that didn't do anything. I'll try some bike disc brake cleaning spray next before taking it to the LBS. I believe it's just dust from sitting in the garage all winter, but who knows.
Update on Brakes:

It's definitely a squeal followed by a shudder on both wheels now. I'm taking it to the LBS since the warranty on brakes is 2 years (Had it for barely a year)
Old 09-03-22, 12:47 PM
M Rose

I sold my Vere 2 last night. So no longer a hybrid owner. My wife still has her Verve 2 for now.
Old 12-20-22, 08:58 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was wondering about the sizing for the verve, if they tend to size larger or smaller than indicated? If you’re 6’1, you’re at the top end of a Large OR bottom of the XL. So which way do you go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.