Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Light and Motion Red Racer Headlamp?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-08-21, 12:30 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

thinkin about getting this guy for wet weather riding as it has that 1 meter in water rating,

only other waterproof lights i have seen are from Dinotte and then are pricey

i do not use a lot of lumens as there are always people out at night on the bike path.

anyway, looking for reviews on this thing, thanks!

https://lightandmotion.com/collectio...-500-red-racer

Last edited by cjenrick; 09-09-21 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-08-21, 06:18 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
The Vis 500 has been out for years; I had one, and it was very nice. I commuted with it for a couple of years, then gave it to my brother. When the Vis series launched— has it been 10 years?— it was one of the few headlights with side markers. The overall feature set at the time was class-leading, but now I think the competition has caught up, and while it’s still a fine light, it’s not notable as it once was.

For example, the Knog Blinder Road 600 shares the same IPX67 rating, but is brighter, lighter, has more modes, and has longer runtimes. It’s arguably better styled, and does not need a cable to charge.

https://www.knog.com/product/blinder-road-600/

It’s pretty much the same story for the IPX7 rated Lezyne 600XL:

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-led-2-v504
Old 09-09-21, 01:30 AM
cjenrick

thanks Chaad! another brand to add to the IPX7 list!
Old 09-09-21, 08:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
thanks Chaad! another brand to add to the IPX7 list!
you’re welcome, but I think once you start looking, you’ll find there are many common and well-priced lights with the IPX7 rating. It’s not a feature that’s hard to find or rare.

Here’s another example, this one from Specialized, again offering 2x the runtime: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fl...ext=49121-1450
Old 09-10-21, 01:17 AM
cjenrick

i bet a lamp rated to 330 ft would survive a few rainstorms on the bike,

Light and Motion dive lights getting 50/50 mixed reviews, looking around for others...

Last edited by cjenrick; 09-10-21 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-10-21, 10:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The Red Racer looks like the latest variation of the Urban 500 and Rando 500 (minus the charge while running option). Should be fine and the price is right.

However I do a lot of night riding, especially in rural areas with no other lights, so my main headlight is a NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800, with a Lumina Micro 850 as a backup for really long rides. Can't beat a dual LED light with a proper lens and shaped beam for really good, wide, evenly distributed light.

I might try the Outbound Lighting dual LED light next. Only a little more expensive than the NiteRider, USA company (I think it's designed here, but made in China), good reviews by users.

I still keep my Rando 500 as a backup or for my hybrid for shorter rides. I've had it about 3 years and it doesn't run as long per charge now. While it can be charged while running, that feature works only on the low beam, so it's only marginally useful.
Old 09-11-21, 02:22 AM
cjenrick

yes i ran into a situation the other night where i needed more lumens,

UPS truck making a delivery at night, parked right in the middle of a narrow country road with limited clearance on both sides, whereabouts of the driver unknown, could be ready to walk out from behind the truck or bounce out of the driver's seat like they do. he had his brights on so everybody could see him, they were at eye level and my goggles were slightly fogged, could not see a thing, had to roll by at 3 mph, 1800 light would have lit the path up like a christmas tree.

looking at DIY'ing a waterproof solution on the cheap, MR16 waterproof LED lights and a batt pack with a simple on/off sw and i'm done. oh, maybe a wall wart for charging . probably do the whole thing for about 50 smackeronis.
Old 09-11-21, 04:42 AM
cjenrick

i think i am going to go with this Underwater Kinetics flashlight and figure out a mounting system.

this company has been around for decades and makes hi quality stuff.

250 lumens at 5 hours on 4 AA batts.

i already have a charger and batteries so no need to buy that.

simple on and off switch than can be used with gloves on.

good to 150 meters underwater. nice camping light also.

since there is no hi/low setting or USB charging circuit, you eliminate an electronic PC board and sensitive electronics inside the light, this adds to the bullet proof aspect, which is good because if you have ever been out in the freezing rain at night, you do not want to be having to worry if you light is going to keep working til you get home.

UK is probably honest about the lumens and run time, reviews of other lights reveal that some companies puff up their specs.

i could probably just use the mask strap to hook it to the drops,

or just wear a dive mask while riding, jus kiddin.

https://www.uwkdive.com/collections/...s/mini-q40-mk2

here is a cheaper dive light>

https://www.batteryjunction.com/prin...c-lg1-opt.html

Last edited by cjenrick; 09-11-21 at 04:51 AM.