Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 09-19-21, 04:44 PM
silverx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Anyone try child/kid seat on helix?

TIA
Old 09-19-21, 05:08 PM
mkatz

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by silverx
Anyone try child/kid seat on helix?

TIA
There's an owner's group on "Telegram" one of whose participants described his use of the "Thule Ridealong". He wrote that "clearance is tight but it works".
Old 09-19-21, 05:13 PM
mkatz

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Kenda Konversion Pro DTC Folding Tire in size 40-507 is available for purchase on "MODERNBIKE . COM". Wondering if anyone has installed a set of these on their Helix and would care to comment?
Old 09-26-21, 07:40 PM
bikeforumKEN

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kanagawanrider
I just got mine. I ordered with a stated April delivery date. I was going to post a picture of the weld, but looks like I can't post pictures until I have ten posts. Shoot me a private message if you want pictures of the weld (or the rest of it). It looks exactly like the previously posted before/after pic to my amateur eyes.
Well bummer, I can't PM you for the photo request cause I don't have 10 forum posts. Is any senior member here willing to post this new weld photo on the forum to share? Thanks for the help
Old 09-27-21, 03:25 AM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Weld pictures

Originally Posted by bikeforumKEN
Well bummer, I can't PM you for the photo request cause I don't have 10 forum posts. Is any senior member here willing to post this new weld photo on the forum to share? Thanks for the help
See post #2548 above. Some owners have posted pics of small variations where the bottom edge of the new weld doesn't quite encompass the bottom lip which spoils the "perfect" appearance of the fillet, but others are exactly as shown above.
Old 10-06-21, 11:01 AM
Juliussharpe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking to buy a helix if anyone is selling please pm me, thanks
Old 10-08-21, 01:29 AM
ProdigyP

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, new to this forum. Just to check if the helix can be change to a sram xx1 groupset? or any groupset that is similar?
Old 10-11-21, 03:33 AM
Jonesandrew

Originally Posted by ProdigyP
Hi all, new to this forum. Just to check if the helix can be change to a sram xx1 groupset? or any groupset that is similar?
Yes, the XX1 crankset will fit, it's the crankset supplied for ultralight models, but be warned there are several constraints to be aware of when choosing a crankset. One of these is that the chain runs very close to the swing arm tube. Consequently there are limits to the largest sprocket and chain ring combinations that can be fitted without the chain starting to saw through the swing arm. The rear changer should also fit but you should contact Helix directly for detailed clarifications. It may take several days to get a response. You can see some of the ultralight derailleur component details if you go to Helix.ca and click on "Order" then "compare".
Old 10-11-21, 07:32 AM
ProdigyP

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesandrew
Yes, the XX1 crankset will fit, it's the crankset supplied for ultralight models, but be warned there are several constraints to be aware of when choosing a crankset. One of these is that the chain runs very close to the swing arm tube. Consequently there are limits to the largest sprocket and chain ring combinations that can be fitted without the chain starting to saw through the swing arm. The rear changer should also fit but you should contact Helix directly for detailed clarifications. It may take several days to get a response. You can see some of the ultralight derailleur component details if you go to Helix.ca and click on "Order" then "compare".
Yup, understand for the crankset. What about the cassette and rear derailleur? I also have been checking other Helix bike forum / social media.
Different rider different answer. So I myself also a little bit confused. These were their respond.

Changeable:
Rider A: Using a XDR Driver.
Rider B: Quoted from Helix Upgrade Guide - You can upgrade the cassette to any configuration. Everything from a 9 tooth sprocket up to a 51t will work. The limiting factor is the front chainring. Anything above 36t will a need a smaller front chainring.

Not Changeable:
Rider C: XX1 Rear derailleur cannot mount to the hanger. Only fit rear derailleur with direct mount.
Old 10-12-21, 01:55 PM
Jonesandrew

Originally Posted by ProdigyP
Yup, understand for the crankset. What about the cassette and rear derailleur? I also have been checking other Helix bike forum / social media.
Different rider different answer. So I myself also a little bit confused. These were their respond.

Changeable:
Rider A: Using a XDR Driver.
Rider B: Quoted from Helix Upgrade Guide - You can upgrade the cassette to any configuration. Everything from a 9 tooth sprocket up to a 51t will work. The limiting factor is the front chainring. Anything above 36t will a need a smaller front chainring.

Not Changeable:
Rider C: XX1 Rear derailleur cannot mount to the hanger. Only fit rear derailleur with direct mount.
Yes, the cassette can be changed. If the one you want to use requires an XD or XDR driver, they can be fitted to the standard Formula hub. Also quoting from the upgrade guide, the standard Formula RXC-142A is "compatible with SRAM XD + XDR and Shimano Micro Spline". The Hubsmith hub fitted to the ultralight is supplied with an XD driver to allow the e13 cassette to fit. I have no knowledge of the XX1 rear derailleur mounting. From the upgrade guide:
  • Any road, MTB and other type derailleur will work, however we recommend Shimano "Shadow" derailleurs because they are low profile and will minimize folded dimensions and also the cable pull clamp will not interfere with the steerer knob when folded.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-21, 11:13 PM
Bym

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts

Anyone know about the development of the Helix trailer

Last edited by Bym; 10-20-21 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-02-21, 05:56 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
travoy?

Sadly, I don't have a Helix. But I do have a couple of older Burley Travoys. I'd think they would work well with a Helix.
https://www.burley.com/product/travo...YaAjpgEALw_wcB
Old 11-23-21, 07:17 AM
tdonline

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I received an email about an ultra light weight helix now available. It's the first helix email I have received in years. I had forgotten I had signed up for it. So the promise of a real light weight helix is finally here? For those who already have a helix, what are your thoughts?
Old 11-24-21, 01:26 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Can you post the link to the page of this ultra light Helix?

How is this obtained, by using ultra light components on the standard Helix frame or by changes in the Helix frame?
Old 11-24-21, 02:28 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Hey, I got it, too!

"Helix is now available in an Ultralight spec using the industry’s best components including Shimano Dura-Ace derailleur, Sram XX1 Eagle carbon crankset, Formula Cura XC hydraulic brakes and more. Throughout 2022 we will be releasing a full line of accessories including mudguards, racks, trailer mounts and more."
Old 11-24-21, 02:31 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Well it ain't cheap, but 20.3 pounds is a good number.

https://www.helix.ca/store/ultralight/
Old 11-24-21, 05:36 AM
Jonesandrew

Originally Posted by tdonline
I received an email about an ultra light weight helix now available. It's the first helix email I have received in years. I had forgotten I had signed up for it. So the promise of a real light weight helix is finally here? For those who already have a helix, what are your thoughts?
Last year I got annoyed with the elongated wait for my kickstarter bike and managed to buy a slightly used 10 speed derailleur model from a backer who no longer needed it. I'm a commuter, but I only use a folder occasionally for that purpose, I mainly keep one in the car for occasional use and I like to take a folder on holidays for exploring new surroundings. Helix is quite stiff and rides better than any other folder I've tried, but it's not as stiff as the Cannondale Topstone which I normally use to travel to work. Like any other folder with long handle post and long seat post, there is lateral flex and if like me you are relatively tall (32" inseam) the seatpost flexes quite a lot when riding on bumpy ground. I actually like that feature, it behaves in a similar way to the long travel thudbusters which I have on my other folders and it provides a very comfortable ride. I store the bike stood up at one side of the load space in my car so the slim fold maximises the remaining space for other luggage which is helpful. In my opinion there are some short comings in the design, principally the limited gear range of the standard 10 speed model which is only 327%. I like to have 500% on my folders if I can get it. The 11 speed derailleur Ultralite version yields 377% range, so still way short of where I would be happy. I took the opportunity to order the Ultralight upgrade kit last year and installed it a few weeks ago. I managed to replace the 9-34T cassette with 9-39 T which yields 430% range but the chainline is now compromised and the chain only just skims past the underside of the swing arm when running in 1st gear with a 42T chainring. I've had to put protection around the swing arm tube. Because the chainline is now closer to the centreline of the bike, the space available for the rear tyre when folded is reduced so that means the Donnelly MXP tyre supplied with the UL kit now only just fits. Larger section tyres like the standard Kenda Kwest may have to be squeezed into the gap which may cause issues with the tyre rubbing on the side of the chain. The standard bike has TRP cable operated disc brakes which are perfectly adequate and work well, but I like the Formula Cura hydraulic brakes better because they have better modulation and more stopping power. Both standard and UL Shimano shifting components work predictably well for both versions. One last point, It's great to have a folding bike that doesn't look like a clown bike and still folds acceptably small. I will still be able to use the same old Samsonite for air travel which I used for previous bikes although I will have to deflate the tyres which will be a slightly inconvenient.
Old 12-01-21, 04:46 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Helix in the news, specifically in New Atlas, an on-line magazine dedicated to innovation.
Old 12-03-21, 07:51 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Is 40 mm the widest tire available tires for the bike? Just curious.
Old 12-06-21, 09:29 AM
Jonesandrew

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Is 40 mm the widest tire available tires for the bike? Just curious.
Yes, any wider than that and the rear tyre will not fit between the chain ring and main frame when folded.
Old 12-06-21, 07:51 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesandrew
Yes, any wider than that and the rear tyre will not fit between the chain ring and main frame when folded.
That would seem a real limitation.
Old 12-07-21, 02:22 AM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
That would seem a real limitation.
On a bike that's going to cost $4500 to get it to its original claimed weight. This was quite a journey to end up at about what you would expect a decently lightweight titanium folder to cost.
Old 12-07-21, 04:10 AM
Jipe

Actually, the frame itself isn't lightweight and I think that with the complex helicoidal folding system and locking mechanism for the fork, it cannot be lightweight.

The lower weight is obtained with very low weight parts and some tricks like Tubolito ultra lightweight inner tubes and lightweight Donnely tires that seem not available anymore (the latest Ultralight Helix mention "TBA 24" x 1.4" (ETRTO 507-33), 75-100 psi folding bead with puncture protection" for the tires, Helix can try to have custom size tires made by Schwalbe like Brompton and Moulton do).

Indeed, the price went to the level most people expected after the launch of the Kickstarter campaign but is still lower than the price of the hand welded titanium Seattle Cycles Burke 20 (if this bike is really available ?)..
Old 12-10-21, 03:54 AM
Jipe

Just got an Email from Helix saying that Helix is shipping for free worldwide for the whole month of December.
Old 12-31-21, 03:41 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
I haven’t posted here in a while but after waiting for years with no tangible progress I finally decided to submit a request for a refund for my two pre-ordered bikes. I just received credit back on my statement and hope that remaining backers/those with pre-ordered units get their bikes soon. I’ve since acquired a couple of e-bikes and Helix no longer fits into my long-term plans. I wish Peter and everyone else waiting on bikes the best of luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.