Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bar Tape

Old 09-02-21, 07:49 PM
lennyparis

Bikes: 2017 Tarmac Pro, 2014 S-Works Tarmac, 2011 Trek Madone 6.2, 2014 Trek Madone 5.9 & 2009 Specialized Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bar Tape

Been using specialized roubaix tape which is now discontinued

any suggestions of something similar?
Old 09-03-21, 04:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Check out Arundel. I buy it because they're a local company, but it's also good stuff. Try their Gecko Pavé, Rubber Gecko or Synth Gecko.

I like Synth Gecko as a trial wrap because it uses no adhesive -- the material is self-sticking and reusable almost indefinitely, as long as it's not cut or torn. It's stretchy can can be wrapped thinner to cover more area, or wrapped with very little stretch to be thicker or cover less area. Very comfortable. But some of the colors are kinda wild, not to everyone's taste. Great for practice wrapping before committing to an adhesive backed wrap. (That's more important with older setups, like quill stems with bars that need to be threaded through the stem clamp -- less important with stems with bolted faceplates that can be detached without unwrapping the handlebar.)
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-05-21, 07:17 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Not exactly similar, but I went from Roubaix tape with the gel inserts to Topeak cork without the gel. Its been great.
Old 09-05-21, 10:37 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I've been using the Bontrager Grippytack. it's really nice. A little pricey, but a very nice bar tape.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-07-21, 01:37 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I'm a big fan of Zipp service course cx bar tape. I have it on all of my bikes. Grippy but not too much, good cushioning, durable, and not stupid expensive.
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 09-07-21, 03:54 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
I'm a big fan of Zipp service course cx bar tape. I have it on all of my bikes. Grippy but not too much, good cushioning, durable, and not stupid expensive.
Seconded for Zipp Service Course CX. I like it better than Supacaz, Lizard Skins, Fizik and many more. Although lately the price seems to be creeping up. For a while you could get some Black for $22...now it's up around $27-29 depending.
Old 09-07-21, 04:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I've been using the Bontrager Grippytack. it's really nice. A little pricey, but a very nice bar tape.
Grippytack is awesome. It's not the easiest to install, but it's got a great texture, just the right amount of cushion and looks pretty nice.
Old 09-07-21, 04:57 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
Seconded for Zipp Service Course CX. I like it better than Supacaz, Lizard Skins, Fizik and many more. Although lately the price seems to be creeping up. For a while you could get some Black for $22...now it's up around $27-29 depending.
The Zipp Service Course and SRAM tape work well too; more similar to the Supacaz in texture and thickness. I've had the CX version that has been discussed and that works great. It does feel a bit thinner and has the grippy texture to it over the standard Service Course tape. JensonUSA has both for less that $20 before shipping/taxes.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Zipp-Service-Course-Bar-Tape

https://www.jensonusa.com/Zipp-Servi...se-CX-Bar-Tape
Likes For oris:
Old 09-11-21, 05:35 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Canyon Ergospeed Gel

Old 09-11-21, 08:16 AM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I love Supacaz tape. Comfy, grippy and cool. However, its pretty tough to get it to lay down properly on the tight bends of my Aerofly II bars. Anyone have any suggestions here?
Im considering trying top down wrapping to see if that makes a difference or potentially a different brand of tape. .
Old 09-11-21, 09:18 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Not exactly similar, but I went from Roubaix tape with the gel inserts to Topeak cork without the gel. Its been great.
I always get the cork. I have Topeak and cinelli on my bikes right now.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 09-11-21, 05:32 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I have been using Silca tape lately and have been pleased with the results.
Old 09-11-21, 06:19 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
I love Supacaz tape. Comfy, grippy and cool. However, its pretty tough to get it to lay down properly on the tight bends of my Aerofly II bars. Anyone have any suggestions here?
Im considering trying top down wrapping to see if that makes a difference or potentially a different brand of tape. .
I gave up on it. It looks nice, but I had to pull really hard to get it to lay flat enough. My fingers were sore afterwards.
Old 09-11-21, 08:25 PM
700CRider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I second this recommendation. Excellent tape.
Likes For 700CRider:
Old 09-15-21, 02:41 PM
realyfishy

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine01, Wilier GTS, Nishiki FS2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oris
The Zipp Service Course and SRAM tape work well too; more similar to the Supacaz in texture and thickness. I've had the CX version that has been discussed and that works great. It does feel a bit thinner and has the grippy texture to it over the standard Service Course tape. JensonUSA has both for less that $20 before shipping/taxes.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Zipp-Service-Course-Bar-Tape

https://www.jensonusa.com/Zipp-Servi...se-CX-Bar-Tape
I have Zipp Service Course CX on all my bikes & also my wife's! Grippy, easy to wrap & seems to never wear out

Last edited by realyfishy; 09-19-21 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-15-21, 03:58 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
I only wrap from the top down. That way I don't have to use any "finishing tape" or electrical tape on the tops of the bars. I've never had any tape come unwrapped either...probably because I know how to actually wrap tape tightly and neatly. Back in the olden days you couldn't wrap from the top down cause they had that ****** fabric tape and for some reason oldster's like to make that stuff last for a decade. Now I like to try different tapes and one of the best feelings is putting on some new bar tape to start the outdoor riding season.

There's a couple of decent videos on YouTube for wrapping from the top down. Go ahead...be a rebel and watch old fart's harrumph themselves to death...cause "you can't do THAT!"
Old 09-15-21, 05:07 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Fizik got expensive, so I looked for something else. Found some of Shimano's brand "Pro" on the Azon. Good stuff.

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/us/
Old 09-15-21, 06:07 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I buy what’s cheap. Some of this newer grip tape is ridiculously expensive and the quality is the same as the cheap stuff. I replace my grip tape every couple of months as the stuff gets dirty/grimy and is not supposed to last years.
Old 09-18-21, 10:10 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
I only wrap from the top down. That way I don't have to use any "finishing tape" or electrical tape on the tops of the bars. I've never had any tape come unwrapped either...probably because I know how to actually wrap tape tightly and neatly. Back in the olden days you couldn't wrap from the top down cause they had that ****** fabric tape and for some reason oldster's like to make that stuff last for a decade. Now I like to try different tapes and one of the best feelings is putting on some new bar tape to start the outdoor riding season.

There's a couple of decent videos on YouTube for wrapping from the top down. Go ahead...be a rebel and watch old fart's harrumph themselves to death...cause "you can't do THAT!"
I've started wrapping from the hoods out.

You have to judge it carefully at the start to make sure you have the right amount either side, but it means you're overlapping in the same direction that your hands naturally twist, both on the tops, and in the drops. It also means not having to do a complicated figure-8 around the hood like some videos will try to show you. It works with glueless tape, too, as you're securing the tape at both ends (plug at the bottom, tape at the top).

I like having the bit of finishing tape at the top. It can add a bit of flare, or a different colour trim.
Old 09-20-21, 05:44 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I know others have expressed they don't like it, but I really like the Supacaz Super Sticky Kush. Yeah, it's not cheap, but I liked it enough that I put it on my 2 most used bikes.

Old 09-20-21, 03:50 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Supercaz Bar Tape

Old 09-20-21, 05:43 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
How many rolls of this stuff do you have?

OTOH.. Supacaz saddles? Any takers? Seems weird that they offer a $65 saddle, but they're premium on bar tape? Or are these fake things on Amazon?
Old 09-21-21, 02:04 AM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
One more vote for Zipp Service Course CX.

I've also had good experiences with:
Cannondale Synapse tape (if you can still find some)
Fabric Hex Duo Tape
Old 09-21-21, 03:50 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
How many rolls of this stuff do you have?

OTOH.. Supacaz saddles? Any takers? Seems weird that they offer a $65 saddle, but they're premium on bar tape? Or are these fake things on Amazon?

not very many but also have a few LIZZARD Kinds 3.2mm Im good for a bit...
Old 09-21-21, 06:47 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
no matter which brand of tape you choose, please choose the white tape.