Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

“Be seen” headlight: How bright?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

“Be seen” headlight: How bright?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-21, 11:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
The Varia has a “night” flashing mode that isn’t as bright and the light intensity slowly gets brighter and dimmer. The “day” strobe is def dazzling when used at night.
With that being said….if drivers don’t stare at the light they’ll be fine. No different than the idiots who stare at LED headlights and complain about them rather than just look where they’re driving.
It's not quite the same as motor vehicle headlights. Those are required to meet certain standards including lenses to shape the beam, cutoffs and aiming (seldom enforced in my area -- Texas seems to have given up on enforcing most safety standards of any kind. You should see the horrifically dangerous makeshift trailer trains permitted to travel through the state to haul wrecked vehicles south of the border). And most motor vehicle lanes have enough separation to make oncoming high beams less critical.

But on our MUP, most of the paved path is nothing more than a suburban sidewalk, four or five feet wide. An oncoming cyclist blasting a 1500 lumen strobing headlight is literally blinding at night. Most cyclists who run nuclear strobe lights also have poor bike handling skills and ride the center of a narrow sidewalk MUP, leaving the rest of us mere inches to miss them. The only way to deal with it is to look down at the edge of the pavement to maintain orientation, and hope they don't veer off line.

That's another reason why I like the current NiteRider designs like the one mentioned above -- the Lumina Dual 1800. It has a proper lens to shape the beam, and a hood to provide some cutoff. I seldom see oncoming pedestrians shielding their eyes, which they often did when I was using Light & Motion and similar headlights that are basically just flashlights slightly modified for use on bikes.

On the MUP I use the NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800 on "walk" mode at 100 lumens, or at most the 350 lumen low beam, with the beam aimed downward as far as practical while still being able to see.

I've noticed the city rental bikes follow pretty much the same pattern, with German standard type headlights, bright enough to see ahead without blinding everyone else.
Old 09-24-21, 06:06 AM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
It's not quite the same as motor vehicle headlights. Those are required to meet certain standards including lenses to shape the beam, cutoffs and aiming (seldom enforced in my area -- Texas seems to have given up on enforcing most safety standards of any kind. You should see the horrifically dangerous makeshift trailer trains permitted to travel through the state to haul wrecked vehicles south of the border). And most motor vehicle lanes have enough separation to make oncoming high beams less critical.

But on our MUP, most of the paved path is nothing more than a suburban sidewalk, four or five feet wide. An oncoming cyclist blasting a 1500 lumen strobing headlight is literally blinding at night. Most cyclists who run nuclear strobe lights also have poor bike handling skills and ride the center of a narrow sidewalk MUP, leaving the rest of us mere inches to miss them. The only way to deal with it is to look down at the edge of the pavement to maintain orientation, and hope they don't veer off line.

That's another reason why I like the current NiteRider designs like the one mentioned above -- the Lumina Dual 1800. It has a proper lens to shape the beam, and a hood to provide some cutoff. I seldom see oncoming pedestrians shielding their eyes, which they often did when I was using Light & Motion and similar headlights that are basically just flashlights slightly modified for use on bikes.

On the MUP I use the NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800 on "walk" mode at 100 lumens, or at most the 350 lumen low beam, with the beam aimed downward as far as practical while still being able to see.

I've noticed the city rental bikes follow pretty much the same pattern, with German standard type headlights, bright enough to see ahead without blinding everyone else.
ya….my headlight has strobe feature that is crazy bright. But I only use it during the day. At night…I just run it as a headlight and the beam is aimed to illuminate the road ahead of me.
I run a headlight, garmin varia, and flashing red light on back of my helmet….and a green lighted vest.
Fortunately I ride a route with wide shoulders, 35mph speed limit and not a ton of traffic.
Old 09-24-21, 06:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by AcornMan
seems much too bright.
to who? you? cars? other bikers on a paved trail? in my area, I've found that road riding bike strobes (flashers) can be brighter than on MUPs. some say no strobes on MUPs but I've seen very weak ones that seem appropriate. a steady light on a MUP is more widely acceptable. in my area, road riding is different altogether. have you tried aiming it down more? I have a very bright one w/ a terrible beam pattern so I have to use a DIY hood & point in down quite a lot. is yours on the bars or helmet?

I have another powerful light but it has a controlled beam pattern & I've yet to use it on the road. I am optimistic
I also bought a small unit, much less bright which is probably more suitable for "being seen". can be mounted on bars or helmet

I like strobes on the road because I think they grab more attention from a greater distance. giving cars more time to make any adjustments, if necessary

with Fall & Winter lighting changes we often have to use the same unit for being seen & then later for seeing. so it's good to have a 2nd light, or alight w/ diff. settings. or the ability to easily change where it is pointing
I've had my headlight die before getting home at night. not fun. I carry a backup

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-25-21 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-24-21, 07:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
a green lighted vest
those are intriguing. which do you have? how is it powered? how do you like it?
Old 09-24-21, 04:40 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
German Lupine Genuine Lumens here and not the over inflated chinese junk that calls a 200 lumen light a 2000 lumen light.. I ran a 5000 Lumen Lupine Alpha with ZERO Step-down... I also have the Lupine 7200 Lumen Alpha buts is still unboxed...
Old 09-24-21, 08:04 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
If you are running something extra bright aim it slightly down and to the right. You'll still be able to see the road hazards and cars won't be high beaming you.
Old 09-25-21, 08:23 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I used to think if the light worked well in a dark garage it was good enough for the road. And it might be on a poorly lit road with no traffic. But on well lit busy road I see we need much more. Dusk and dawn are by far the worst time for visibility from a car drivers perspective. I don't know what's better in that situation, a very bright light that blends in with the sun making the cyclist invisible, Or no light at all wearing dark clothes to contrast with a blinding sun.

Either way I'm going to get myself a brighter light then one of those tiny lights with the button batteries I use up front now. The plan is to use the little one in stobe mode and a brighter one on low for general night riding. I'll use the brighter one on high in heavy traffic or on dark roads. They need not be blindingly bright. Perhaps in the 200 - 600 lumen range for most roads. Some 200 lumen lights are still reasonably priced. IMO. Keep the light aimed away from car drivers eyes. If you want they're/our respect, You have to show a little consideration yourself. Also I'm going to use a brighter back light too, probably set to flash.

For extreme conditions like riding at dusk or dawn with the sun I assume that I can't be seen by cars and ride accordingly.

It might be worth considering a good light, Not for the max brightness, But for long battery life on a lower setting which is still much brighter then those little cheap ones. At full power many higher intensity lights have a very short battery life.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 09-26-21 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-25-21, 08:41 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
To be seen you shouldn't forget about reflective clothing. Some materials are very good at it and much less annoying than super bright flashes.