Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is standing while biking bad or good?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-07-21, 07:14 AM
ggbo951a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Few months ago I posted that I had some ball pain when prolonged biking while sitting on the seat. I resorted to standing most of the time since then 1-2 hours of biking 2-3 times a day. Now I feel my knees are experiencing some pressure, ever-slight discomfort while pedalling while standing and I am worried whether it has affected my knee strength. In general is standing all the time and pedalling while standing a bad or ok? Thanks.,
Old 09-07-21, 07:20 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ggbo951a
Few months ago I posted that I had some ball pain when prolonged biking while sitting on the seat. I resorted to standing most of the time since then 1-2 hours of biking 2-3 times a day. Now I feel my knees are experiencing some pressure, ever-slight discomfort while pedalling while standing and I am worried whether it has affected my knee strength. In general is standing all the time and pedalling while standing a bad or ok? Thanks.,
doing it all the time sounds like torture, but it’s a valid way of (1) temporarily relieving saddle pressure, and (2) generating more torque for sprinting or climbing. If it’s not something you do regularly, it’s going to use different muscles and hurt a bit. You need to practice and find the optimum gear to get the most out of it and not stress your knees
Likes For Litespud:
Old 09-07-21, 07:24 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I occasionally stand up when I feel like I need to stretch my legs or readjust my butt on the saddle. But I don't make a habit of pedaling while standing up.

Every time this question comes up I'm reminded of when I was a kid there was another kid who had no seat on his bike and he rode the thing standing up all the time.
Old 09-07-21, 07:27 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Feels so Good the Stand and stretch every thing.
Miss that when Trike Riding.

Old 09-07-21, 07:31 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I stand to relieve pressure/ stretch and find myself doing it more as I get deeper into the ride. I can't imagine doing it the majority of the ride tho.
Old 09-07-21, 07:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Do people that stand up all day at their work have bad knees? I stood at my last job all day long and I don't have bad knees.

Same thing applies to sitting or standing, don't constantly push a hard gear. Make sure your foot alignment on the pedal doesn't need some adjustment between your sitting position and standing position. Especially if your cleats don't allow much float.

My only gripe about standing is that it seems to use more of my energy. Probably a lot of that is I don't stand on my bike often enough to have the right muscles for it.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-07-21 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-07-21, 07:35 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
There are several types of standing bikes that are based on only standing. Among those, most have a modified pedal stroke, rather than just circular chainrings.

If you going to stand all the time on circular rings, you would probably be better off with shorter cranks to make things easier on your knees. I think that is typically the case for standing bikes with circular rings.

OTOH, it is generally beneficial to spend some parts of a ride standing. Periodic breaks out of the saddle help reduce saddle discomfort. I ride single speed and I think the large amount of time out of the saddle is why it’s more comfortable for me.

Otto
Old 09-07-21, 07:38 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I recently cracked a saddle rail and had to pedal the last 15 miles home while standing. I survived.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 09-07-21, 07:40 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
it's good for a timely break from the saddle, or up hills

be careful doing it downhill as your body momentum is moving forward and a sudden stop or slow down could dump you over the top (I'm sure of this!)
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-07-21, 07:51 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
It is certainly not doing your knees any good. Like others have posted, I stand to stretch the lower back, glutes, legs, etc. Standing most of the time is something I would not like, nor would I do so unless it was imperative due to an issue with the drivetrain. As I age, I find it is good to stop and get off the bike more often, even if it is only for numerous seconds. I have to stop more often anyway due to having to empty the bladder. It really sounds like you have a fit problem or the saddle just is not right for you.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-07-21, 08:17 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
It really sounds like you have a fit problem or the saddle just is not right for you.
This ^. Fit and saddle adjustment. The "pain" that you describe doesn't make sense to me. That's not a part of the anatomy that should be in contact with the bicycle at all. PG
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-07-21, 08:25 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
I cant stand sitting for the entire time of a long ride without a short change in position.
Old 09-07-21, 08:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
There is an old guy who rides RAGBRAI every year who doesnt even have a saddle. He stands all the time now and his current bike is designed to not have a seatpost. I heard his original bike broke years ago, he rode standing, and that became his thing. Who knows.

Anyways, yeah I stand to climb. I do that on most all hills as its what I prefer and comes directly from when I was a kid and rode BMX all over town. I dont stand when riding flat or downhill because- why?

Standing for most of the time is clearly an issue of fit. Thats just not how cycling is done- you have 3 contact points with the bike and you just eliminated one of them. Go get fit properly.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 09-07-21 at 08:52 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-07-21, 08:49 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There is an old guy who rides RAGBRAI every year who doesnt even have a saddle. He stands all the time now and his bike is designed to not have a seatpost. I heard it broke years ago, he rode standing, and that became his thing. Who knows.

Anyways, yeah I stand to climb. I do that on most all hills as its what I prefer and comes directly from when I was a kid and rode BMX all over town. I dont stand when riding flat or downhill because- why?

Standing for most of the time is clearly an issue of fit. Thats just not how cycling is done- you have 3 contact points with the bike and you just eliminated one of them. Go get fit properly.

whuh?
Old 09-07-21, 08:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
whuh?
Fair point.
The original bike broke. He since has a new bike.
Old 09-07-21, 09:16 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,189 Times in 1,093 Posts
Chris Horner’s standing climbing style wins him the Vuelta | Tour de France on TV
Old 09-07-21, 09:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
It is certainly not doing your knees any good. Like others have posted, I stand to stretch the lower back, glutes, legs, etc. Standing most of the time is something I would not like, nor would I do so unless it was imperative due to an issue with the drivetrain. As I age, I find it is good to stop and get off the bike more often, even if it is only for numerous seconds. I have to stop more often anyway due to having to empty the bladder. It really sounds like you have a fit problem or the saddle just is not right for you.

I use an elliptical machine for several hours at a time on high resistance, and I don't develop knee problems. For all we know, this might actually be strengthening his knees.
Old 09-07-21, 09:41 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Staying in any one position over a long ride is going to be uncomfortable. The solution is to rotate through the different positions (seated, standing, hands on various parts of the bars) as you ride, as appropriate.

So stand up whenever your arsular region wants a break, or when your legs are getting tired, or when you are losing steam while going up a hill. Then sit back down, change hand positions, then stand up again when the ride dictates you will get the most benefit.

Generally speaking, if you switch from seated to standing you can shift to one or three cogs smaller (harder gears) because it is harder to spin fast smooth circles while standing.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 09-07-21, 09:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There is an old guy who rides RAGBRAI every year who doesnt even have a saddle. He stands all the time now and his current bike is designed to not have a seatpost. I heard his original bike broke years ago, he rode standing, and that became his thing. Who knows.
Hope he inspects his cranks regularly for cracks.
Old 09-07-21, 10:11 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I cant stand sitting for the entire time of a long ride without a short change in position.
You’re not alone. No one can stand sitting; you’re either doing one or the other. If this scenario occurs during a race, though, it’s all about where you sit in the standings.
Old 09-07-21, 10:14 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I haven't heard of the RAGBRAI guy... but then on a more recent note, there's this guy: Cyclist who rode 100 miles out of the saddle to repeat ride on Zwift to prove he wasn't lying | road.cc
Old 09-07-21, 10:16 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,718 Times in 2,913 Posts
Originally Posted by ggbo951a
In general there's nothing "bad" about standing and pedalling. But it's definitely not the best solution to your "ball pain"!
You might want to look into other solutions, of which there are potentially many. It could also be a sign of a medical issue. A mate of mine was suffering on the bike recently (ball pain again) and ended up being diagnosed with a bladder stone and enlarged prostate. Maybe get a check-up just to rule things like that out?
Old 09-07-21, 10:43 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
You’re not alone. No one can stand sitting; you’re either doing one or the other. If this scenario occurs during a race, though, it’s all about where you sit in the standings.
bet if a poll was taken, the results would be on par to that assumption, but you'll have those oddball opinions that'll stand out too. Although, some may just sit it out & just be null to the topic, refraining from posting even.
Old 09-07-21, 11:58 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
don't "stand", "dance" on the pedals
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-07-21, 12:32 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Not just a good idea. It should be mandatory:
https://road.cc/content/feature/how-...brittle-261478
Cycling is unfortunately a non weight-bearing exercise, and as such could lead to bone loss. So we need to consciously stand up and pedal every chance we get. Jumping is also a good bone loading exercise. So if you can bunny hop while standing- even better!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.