Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clicking Noise When I Ride

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clicking Noise When I Ride

Old 09-18-21, 11:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
If you are over 50, it is more than likely one of your knees.

Old 09-20-21, 03:58 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I recently had something similar. Started out as an occasional click or "tick." It progressively got more frequent and louder, and happened especially when I'm pushing hard on a climb. It developed almost into a creaking or groaning.

I started pulling things apart to inspect and try isolating it. One of my bottom bracket bearings was getting rough. I'm 90% sure this is the culprit.

I'm going to order new bearings. Haven't decided whether to buy the tool to pull off the old ones, borrow it from someone, or just take the crank to a shop and pay them for the work. In the meantime, I was able to pry the seal out of the way enough to pack in some new grease, and that seems to have worked as a temporary solution.
Old 09-20-21, 05:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4914 Post(s)
Liked 8,018 Times in 3,792 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I recently had something similar. Started out as an occasional click or "tick." It progressively got more frequent and louder, and happened especially when I'm pushing hard on a climb. It developed almost into a creaking or groaning.

I started pulling things apart to inspect and try isolating it. One of my bottom bracket bearings was getting rough. I'm 90% sure this is the culprit.

I'm going to order new bearings. Haven't decided whether to buy the tool to pull off the old ones, borrow it from someone, or just take the crank to a shop and pay them for the work. In the meantime, I was able to pry the seal out of the way enough to pack in some new grease, and that seems to have worked as a temporary solution.
Clearly, the answer is that you need a new bike.
Old 09-20-21, 07:30 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Clearly, the answer is that you need a new bike.
I like how you think. Unfortunately, that attitude is how I got a garage full of bikes, enough that I can ride a different one every day of the week. Since I don’t want to get divorced, I’ll probably just replace the bearing.
Old 09-20-21, 11:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4914 Post(s)
Liked 8,018 Times in 3,792 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I like how you think. Unfortunately, that attitude is how I got a garage full of bikes, enough that I can ride a different one every day of the week. Since I don’t want to get divorced, I’ll probably just replace the bearing.
Get divorced. She takes half. You get to buy more bikes to refill the stable. I fail to see the problem.

Follow me for more relationship advice.
Old 09-21-21, 12:21 AM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Sources of noise to eliminate include: handlebar/stem, headset, axles/skewers, rear wheel/spokes, pedals, cleats, shoes, rear derailleur hanger, chain, and finally bottom bracket.

I had a single click per crank rotation that I'd narrowed down to the bottom bracket. I ignored it for about a year, until it became louder and evolved into several clicks through one crank rotation. I could no longer stand it because I could hear it bouncing off walls, curbs, etc. A new bottom bracket seemed to take care of it, so far.
Old 09-21-21, 05:35 AM
bleui

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just to add recommendation on things to check, I just found the culprit of the ticking noise on my bike was a bad cartridge bearing (9000km+) on the inside part of the freehub
Old 09-21-21, 05:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
If you have Look Keo pedals, you have found the issue. Thought my bottom bracket bearings were absolute toast on one climb, then I replaced them with my old Deltas and the bottom bracket was miraculously healed. Praise the Deltas!

Old 09-22-21, 03:41 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
WHen one of my bikes starts making a clicking noise while pedaling, it is almost always one ot the chain ring bolts. Snug them up and see if that fixes it.