Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just bought Santana Noventa - anyone have one?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 05:55 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I just found a great deal on Santana Noventa Tandem but having a hard time finding a spec sheet for it.

Owner said it was mid 2000's - mostly XTR parts - 9 speed and all in really nice condition
He paid Santana to weld on a Big Disk brake in back but need info on seatpost sizes - stem size etc as I need to upgrade these parts.

Thanks. Erik

Likes For socalrider:
Old 02-25-21, 10:14 PM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Erik,
I've owned 4 Santana tandems. Both of your seat posts should be 29.8 mm, the captains stem is 1 1/4", and the rear wheel spacing is 160 mm. Those are the main differences between (earlier) Santana and some of the other tandems. Go Gear To Go Tandems (gtgtandems.com) Rich Sapiro has listings for older Santana specs and dimensions.

Tailwinds,
Charlie
2016 S&S Santana Beyond
Old 02-26-21, 06:25 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Thank you for the info.. I emailed Santana with the serial number and hopefully that helps.

I am definitely in need of 1 1/4 stem - found a few online. Thanks. for the info on the seatpost. It is the stoker post I will need to replace as the shock in it is fading fast.

Considering how much I paid - very good price - I knew a few things would need to be replaced. He did some nice upgrades through Santana - the 10" rear disc brake with the custom weld and paint made it so much more attractive.

Thanks. Erik
Old 02-26-21, 07:32 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Our 1992 Noventa has 150,000 miles in tours on it and still a good bike. Gotta love the filet brazing on the joints. Sorry, don't care for disc brakes on a tandem. We have an additional drum brake which was a standard option back then and is far better through mountains when loaded.
Old 02-26-21, 01:14 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Nice bike and welcome. Many, including us, use the Thudbuster ST seat post for our stokers. This is a good set-up but the more recent the Kinekt seat post has gotten a lot of praise. We would probably use that one now. Here is a link to their website. https://cirruscycles.com/pages/store

You will probably use a shim to get the proper fit for your bike. We've used this for our Co-Motion to get a 27.2 Thudbuster to work in our bike. No issues over many years.

Here is a link to a conversation here in our group on stoker seat posts.
https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...hat-works.html
Old 03-04-21, 01:21 AM
socalrider

I want to thank everyone for the replies. As far as the rear disk - it was a custom upgrade direct from Santana. The left brake lever will deploy both front and rear V brakes simultaneously, The Right brake lever is connected to the 10" Disk brake on the back. Really a nice setup in my mind. I will look at the other seatposts. Is there a way to refurb the Thudbuster. It has a little bounce left in her.

Thanks. Erik
Old 03-07-21, 06:08 PM
72andsunny

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by socalrider
Thank you for the info.. I emailed Santana with the serial number and hopefully that helps.

I am definitely in need of 1 1/4 stem - found a few online. Thanks. for the info on the seatpost. It is the stoker post I will need to replace as the shock in it is fading fast.

Considering how much I paid - very good price - I knew a few things would need to be replaced. He did some nice upgrades through Santana - the 10" rear disc brake with the custom weld and paint made it so much more attractive.

Thanks. Erik
Hey, I’ve got a Noventa. We bought it new in 2004, though I believe it was built up from an older frame Santana had sitting around (note the double boom tube). Also, Noventas were supposed to have carbon forks, seat posts, cranks, maybe stems. Ours has the fork, but everything else is aluminum. Anyway guessing yours is a few years older as it has even less carbon; probably 2000ish.

RE stems: Check out Giant OD2 stems. They’re 1 and 1/4” and you can often pick them up for $30.