Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Please Help with Used Trail/MTN Bike Choice...

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-22, 05:03 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

I still own my first MTB, a 1989 Mongoose IBOC Pro and have owned a few others since- However, I don't MTB anymore due to a spinal injury from a car accident.

I AM seeking a mountain bike to haul my Burley Tail Wagon dog cart on some trails around lakes, etc. It also works as a good excuse (the well being of our dog) to acquire another bike!

I see they are still making 3 x 7 drivetrains to this day...WUWT? Strength/durability?

Budget $500

1) I prefer 9 cogs or more as most of my bikes are 9 or 10 - I'd be ok with 3 x 8.
2) I NEED REAR RACK MOUNTS
3) 700c / 29 WHEELS & MECHANICAL disc brakes please!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by michaelm101; 07-18-22 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-18-22, 09:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
It seems like a mountain bike is not the ideal choice for this bike and am curious why the other bikes in your stable aren't able to handle the Tail Wagon, I am all for getting a new bike but not sure what a low budget used mountain bike is really going to do here? You can sometimes find some decent older stuff but then you have a IBOC Pro and $500 so you could easily upgrade that sucker and make it work for your purposes plenty of excellent linear pull brakes and pads along with excellent cables and housing to address the braking concerns. It is a steel frame so easy to mount a rack to it or find a frame builder who can get you set up with rack mounts. For drivetrain I might look at the new Microshift Advent X for a good budget but very modern 10 speed 1x MTB groupset. Also plenty of tires for 26" including loads of more hybrid tires.

They are still making 7 and 8 speed stuff in 2022 however it is relegated to the bottom end of stuff these days or it is some specialty groupset for a very specific purpose that wouldn't be helpful to you. 9 speed is tough to get in quality but there is a little out there usually it is 10 and up where you are getting quality and durability.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-19-22, 12:35 AM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It seems like a mountain bike is not the ideal choice for this bike and am curious why the other bikes in your stable aren't able to handle the Tail Wagon, I am all for getting a new bike but not sure what a low budget used mountain bike is really going to do here? You can sometimes find some decent older stuff but then you have a IBOC Pro and $500 so you could easily upgrade that sucker and make it work for your purposes plenty of excellent linear pull brakes and pads along with excellent cables and housing to address the braking concerns. It is a steel frame so easy to mount a rack to it or find a frame builder who can get you set up with rack mounts. For drivetrain I might look at the new Microshift Advent X for a good budget but very modern 10 speed 1x MTB groupset. Also plenty of tires for 26" including loads of more hybrid tires.

They are still making 7 and 8 speed stuff in 2022 however it is relegated to the bottom end of stuff these days or it is some specialty groupset for a very specific purpose that wouldn't be helpful to you. 9 speed is tough to get in quality but there is a little out there usually it is 10 and up where you are getting quality and durability.
Ahh, yes, I could use the ol' Iboc, but that would mean I don't acquire another bike...! HELLO.....I've received the GO AHEAD for another bike due to the DOG!!!
Old 07-19-22, 01:35 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Probably a used Trek Fx or one of its many identical competitors
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-19-22, 09:57 AM
michaelm101

Perhaps, it's the suspension fork I'm seeking to keep my neck/spine from being rattled... Here' my old IBOC Pro:

My 1st MTB, 1989 Mongoose IBOC Pro
Likes For michaelm101:
Old 07-19-22, 10:19 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
You can procure a Manitou Markhor with a straight steerer for $225 - $250 for your Mongoose. I have one on both a 26" Santa Cruz and a 29" Niner, and they're solid performers IMO. Then , maybe a suspension seatpost and you're a lot better off than with a new $500 bike. BTW, I had the same generation IBOC and loved it. Unfortunately, it was stolen.
Old 07-19-22, 10:26 AM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by 2old
You can procure a Manitou Markhor with a straight steerer for $225 - $250 for your Mongoose. I have one on both a 26" Santa Cruz and a 29" Niner, and they're solid performers IMO. Then , maybe a suspension seatpost and you're a lot better off than with a new $500 bike. BTW, I had the same generation IBOC and loved it. Unfortunately, it was stolen.
Sounds interesting, thank you. I checked it out. Will this accommodate my brakes?
Likes For michaelm101:
Old 07-19-22, 10:31 AM
2old

Originally Posted by michaelm101
Sounds interesting, thank you. I checked it out. Will this accommodate my brakes?
Sorry, I forgot that it's disc only so you'll need a brake and wheel (I had those in my parts bib). I think Rock Shox or some other well known company makes a similar fork that will accommodate linear brakes. Also, there was an individual mentioned on this forum who rebuilt older models of suspension forks. Those individuals who reported said the ones he had for sale worked great. Maybe someone remembers the post(s).
Old 07-19-22, 08:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Ahh, yes, I could use the ol' Iboc, but that would mean I don't acquire another bike...! HELLO.....I've received the GO AHEAD for another bike due to the DOG!!!
I gotcha but if you are getting a bike get something great or use that money towards upgrading the IBOC.

Rockshox does indeed make a fork for threadless 1 1/8 steerer tubes: RockShox Recon Silver TK is a great upgrade but probably not going to work on the IBOC however if you are willing to swap out the headset to this and then consider a stem like this and maybe swap to some titanium bars and you will have a very comfortable set up without a suspension fork.

Upgrades are sometimes way better than a new bike. Making a bike work better for you or swapping to some new stuff can be quite the treat and I do love new bikes.
Old 07-20-22, 12:54 AM
michaelm101

I gotcha but if you are getting a bike get something great or use that money towards upgrading the IBOC.

Rockshox does indeed make a fork for threadless 1 1/8 steerer tubes: RockShox Recon Silver TK is a great upgrade but probably not going to work on the IBOC however if you are willing to swap out the headset to this and then consider a stem like this and maybe swap to some titanium bars and you will have a very comfortable set up without a suspension fork.

Upgrades are sometimes way better than a new bike. Making a bike work better for you or swapping to some new stuff can be quite the treat and I do love new bikes.
Thx! I think I'm turned off by the little 26" wheels, fine for precise mtbing...and also, my IBOC has 172mm cranks. I use 175s on all my other bikes. I'm looking at the Giant Roam line and they appear to be what I'm seeking. I'm not sure if this is GREAT, however, they appear to fit the bill...
Old 07-21-22, 09:07 AM
2old

Hopefully veganbikes will answer too, but IMO the Trek Marlin series is much better spec'd than the Roam in the same price range, and you may want to consider their Roscoe too.
Old 07-21-22, 08:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Thx! I think I'm turned off by the little 26" wheels, fine for precise mtbing...and also, my IBOC has 172mm cranks. I use 175s on all my other bikes. I'm looking at the Giant Roam line and they appear to be what I'm seeking. I'm not sure if this is GREAT, however, they appear to fit the bill...
Get longer cranks, Shazam! 26 is a great wheel size. The Roam is not a great bike I guess the Deore equipped one is somewhat OK but it is really just the Deore making that so. I would much rather have the IBOC than a Roam.
Old 07-25-22, 01:31 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts

I see they are still making 3 x 7 drivetrains to this day...WUWT? Strength/durability?
On cheaper department store bikes yes. On a good mountain bike no. Everything has mostly gone to 1 x 12.

Budget $500

1) I prefer 9 cogs or more as most of my bikes are 9 or 10 - I'd be ok with 3 x 8.
2) I NEED REAR RACK MOUNTS
3) 700c / 29 WHEELS & MECHANICAL disc brakes please!

Thanks in advance!
I would up your budget just a bit and get something better.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/c/mountaintrail#/filterroductfamily:Rockhopper

And if you aren't riding trails this would work...

Specialized Sirrus
Old 07-26-22, 12:54 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
Pretty much anything with a decent range of gears will work. I haul a Burley Bee trailer carrying a kid and a dog with a Birdy folding bike. A more modern 9 or 10 speed cassette with 34 or 36 teeth will help you pull the load, bigger tires with lower pressure will make for a smoother ride for a reasonable price.