Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Di2 FD 8050 too far out?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Di2 FD 8050 too far out?

Old 08-06-22, 06:27 AM
gustavobs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Di2 FD 8050 too far out?

Bought a second hand di2 8050 series and started building it myself. I'm trying to follow the shimano dealers initial steps but what I have noticed is that to align the big chain ring to the outer cage I have to fully loose the H screw, which does not match the tutorials I watched which seems to be the opposite. It's probably about ok but I wonder if I need to 'reset' the FD to some initial position or some issue with the position of my cranks? That's a new bike build and although I have done some bits myself not, full bike build is a first...
Old 08-06-22, 09:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
You are talking about the FD-R8050 aren't you? Did you read the manual and follow it's installation and adjustment procedures, or just random videos that may or may not have been made by someone that knows what they are talking about.

https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/R8...050-05-ENG.pdf

Could be your cranks if they aren't your typical Shimano road bike cranks for a 11 speed bike. Might just be you haven't installed the FD properly.

But since you hint that this might be a borderline franken bike, you probably need to say what exactly are all the pieces parts you are attempting to make work with each other.

Welcome to BF!
Old 08-06-22, 09:51 AM
gustavobs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply and the welcome Yes, front derailleur! I have watched random videos but since having issues I went to the dealer's manual from Shimano. It's just the H screw setting that feels off to me.

The groupset is Ultegra 8050 di2 except for the cranks which are Ultegra FC6800. BB is BB86 but using the thread-together style, seems to have gone ok, cranks fitted without issue. The frame comes with an FD mounting plate, so not loads of room to get it wrong I believe, at least in the plane I'm having issues.
Old 08-06-22, 11:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If it's FC-6800, it's chain line will be what all the other Shimano 11 speed road cranks are. So that's unlikely the issue unless you did something weird with the BB and BB shell to make it "fit".

I don't get deep into Di2 stuff myself as I haven't had to with my Di2 on my bike. It just works.

Weekends here are a little slow sometimes for answers from others. Perhaps they are out riding on the weekend. If you don't get a better suggestion, then consider taking it down to the local bike shop and let them puzzle over it.

You've been here haven't you......

https://bettershifting.com/

If your LBS's are large where you don't get to talk to the mechanic then maybe that's not so great, but around here the mechanics are working if full sight of the sales area and if you get them talking and looking at something you'll be lucky to get out with less than a hour of conversation if not more.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-06-22 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling..... probably can't blame it on auto-correct
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-06-22, 02:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'm gonna throw this out there just in case. Have you plugged it in yet? Is it possible that derailleur was unplugged in the high gear position?
Likes For cxwrench: