Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Most unusual collisions

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Most unusual collisions

Old 07-18-21, 06:20 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Most unusual collisions

Been riding 35 years on the road and always watching for vehicle threats and other hazards, but never saw this one coming.

Riding in my lane at about 18mph and saw 2 teens riding the sidewalk in the same direction on bmx style bikes. They were meandering along and as I went along side the rider nearest me suddenly did a bunny hop from the curb to the street coming sideways into me.

I yelled as loud as I could and broke left, thank you Garmin Via for letting me know the road was clear. The other rider yelled...theres a biker! Even so the kid grazed my right ankle. I didn't go over just goosed it to pull away.

it was a really close call and I don't want to think about what would have resulted from from a full broadside hit from him...never in a million years would I expect to be taken out by a bunny hopping teen from a sidewalk.

Just goes to show you never know. Makes me wonder if anyone else has had some weird collisions out there.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 07-18-21, 09:03 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
I was on my way to collect the wife with the tandem from campus and a student on a MTB crossed to my side of the divided path and tried to pass on my right side. He hit the bicycle cart then evidently got entangled with a tree. He was ok other than flail chest and missing several teeth. A few months later I was heading down hill on a busy road and a girl on a Honda Spree turned onto the road and came head on at me. I had parked cars to my right and heavy traffic to my left. She tried to make it between me and the on coming traffic. The Honda Spree was missing allot of plastic and I had to use pliers to remove some of it from my left pedal. Neither one of us needed medical attention and just like the other student she thought I should pay for damages.
Old 07-18-21, 07:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
amazon van speeds up & passes me on my left, hangs a quick right with a sudden stop & tosses on the four-ways. No way was I able to stop & it was swoop left into a potential oncoming vehicle or slam into the van at full speed. Pucker & swoop worked.
Old 07-19-21, 02:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Posted elsewhere, but a few days ago I watched as an armadillo scuttled into a friend's rear wheel. They are everywhere, now wondering why it hasn't happened more often.
Old 07-20-21, 09:14 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Didn't happen to me, but I seem to remember a video a few years back of a deer leaping onto the road right into a cyclist.

Went to search for it... looks like it has happened a few times... https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+cyclist+video
Old 07-21-21, 07:31 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Didn't happen to me, but I seem to remember a video a few years back of a deer leaping onto the road right into a cyclist.
This almost happened to me the past two mornings, in the same spot. I'm going to keep my eyes open tomorrow morning, lest third time be the charm. Maybe I'll ring my bell a lot as I approach that spot to give the deer a heads up.
Old 07-21-21, 07:42 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
This almost happened to me the past two mornings, in the same spot. I'm going to keep my eyes open tomorrow morning, lest third time be the charm. Maybe I'll ring my bell a lot as I approach that spot to give the deer a heads up.
I have to laugh... I was hiking yesterday, and along this road, went past a wide bush and a small deer jumped out right in front of me... while walking. It had been apparently trying to get past a tall fence just on the other side of the bush and I startled it. Almost had a collision while walking.
Old 07-21-21, 08:01 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Not a collision, but weird crash last year. Short version...I had an unpleasant encounter with a street person. I was a bit shocked and as I was riding away I let my speed get too low. The front end got wobbly and as I tried to straighten out again my back wheel slipped out from under me. I fell hard on the pavement. I jumped to my feet and, fortunately, the street person had run off. The rear wheel was completely destroyed. I also ruined my riding glasses and the spare reading glasses that were in my rear pocket. As I was walking away some neighborhood kids came up and made sure I was okay, which restored my faith in humanity. I didn't realize I was bleeding down the front of my face from the bridge of my nose. I must have been a sight. My post mortem on the incident is this...I had a flat earlier and the tube was probably not pumped up to the optimal psi. It had also just rained lightly and the roads were a little slick. I think the rear tire went a bit sideways, got "caught" on the pavement and then collapsed the wheel. I found a skid mark on the tire later which I think confirms this.

Last edited by bikecrate; 07-21-21 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-21-21, 08:07 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
"cyclist" taking a selfie video coming the other way on a bike path in Florida.

Little dog getting caught between the front spokes (20H radial) when it jumped at me. I went right down. The seement truck driver behind me says, did you done see that. The little dog jumped out and got hisself all caught up in your tire. Telling me this as I was laying on the pavement.