Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How bad is cross-chaining?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How bad is cross-chaining?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-22, 01:02 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I cross chain all the time and have no wear issues. The only time I look back to see what cog I am in? On a steep hill when I push the button and nothing happens
For me the process is…

Shift
Nothing
Expletive
Grind it out

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-14-22, 03:31 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
SRAM officially endorses cross-chaining. Shimano doesn't, but their drivetrains appear to tolerate it, at least in my experience. Recent iterations of Di2 prevent you from doing it.

SRAM has been the main proponent of 1X gearing (probably because they can't seem to make a functional front derailleur). I got curious about this, because the same arguments that apply to cross-chaining should apply to 1X, at least for the lowest gear, so I checked their website, and found that out, so at least they get points for consistency.
So does Shimano. All of the mechanical drivetrains are fine with big/big, but they will rub small/small and 1-2 cogs but those gear ratios are stupid and Shimano warns about likely rub. Di2 allows big/big and blocks out the smallest cogs for small/small. SRAM front derailleurs work just fine if they're set up correctly. I don't have any problems with them and when correctly adjusted are great. I have one on a bike I own.

Originally Posted by tyrion
Trim in this context refers to the front derailleur - there will be 3 or 4 click stops on the FD to deal with the changing chain angle when you shift the RD.
Semantics I know but there are no clicks in the front derailleur, they're in the shifter.
Old 06-14-22, 03:43 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Semantics i know but there are no clicks in the front derailleur, they're in the shifter.
brifter brifter brifter!
Old 06-14-22, 04:16 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
During my time selling bikes I warned thousands of riders to avoid cross-chaining, especially on bikes with triples. I still have the same opinion on cross-chaining with a triple, however my opinion on cross-chaining a double has done a 180. A guy I regularly ride with and do service on his bike has been cross-chaining his 11 speed Sram Red group since new many years ago. He is a spinner and rarely jams hard on the bike. He averages about 4000 miles from a chain and cassette. I change the chain at 75% wear along with the cassette. The chain rings have never been replaced.
Old 06-14-22, 05:40 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I change the chain at 75% wear along with the cassette. The chain rings have never been replaced.
I know what you meant to write but it was sure a jolt to read this the first time.

As to the severity of cross channing, one big factor is chainstay length. Bikes with long chainstays like touring and gravel bikes, reduce the chain angle and make cross chaining less harmful and noisy. Racing frames with very short chainstays are less tolerant of it.
Old 06-14-22, 07:14 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Cross-chaining: worse than wearing white after Labor Day, but not as bad as clubbing seal pups. Actually with modern chains it’s probably not so bad.

Otto
Old 06-15-22, 08:27 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I ride the big/big all the time and have been for as long as I can remember. I can trim the FD so that it doesn't rub in any gear too. I've had no issues, wear seems to be normal. I keep everything lubed and adjusted too and still have the original Campy chainrings in the front and change cassettes every now and then but they won't be getting changed again anytime soon. At 67 I'm finding it ever harder to ride the way I did, with fewer miles. On top of that my knees are giving me problems. As for the small/small combo, since I stay mostly in the big ring since it is mostly flat here when I do use the small front I'm usually shifting back to the big as soon as I'm done with whatever hill needed it. I've always found the small/small combo to be a strange feeling anyway.
Old 06-15-22, 08:54 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Cross-chaining: worse than wearing white after Labor Day, but not as bad as clubbing seal pups. Actually with modern chains it’s probably not so bad.
To me it's just dumb.
Old 06-15-22, 05:44 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 383 Posts
I have Campy 9 & 10 speeds on all my bikes. I stay on the small chainring 99% of the time and I'm always cross-chaining. No ill effects.