Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for really tight rims

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-28-21, 06:58 PM
MikeEckhaus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I have a Cervelo Caledonia with the stock Reserve (house brand) carbon wheels. The wheels are tubeless ready, but I am running tubes with non-tubeless GP5000’s. The tires are almost impossible to mount or dismount. I’ve had tubeless ready rims a couple of times before, although different brands. Also I ran GP4000’s on the older rims, not 5000’s. Those were always easy to mount and dismount, and I rarely needed a tire lever, mostly just my hands. Anyway, I tried thinner rim tape that sits completely in the groove of the wheel, but I still can’t get the tires to mount or later release from the rims to dismount. I’d like to not invest in new wheels, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a high quality tire that is easier to mount than the GP5000’s. To be fair, I don’t know if it’s the tires’ fault or if it’s a combination of the rim OD and the hook shape. Regardless, this has been a very frustrating issue since I got the bike and put Contis on, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Old 11-28-21, 07:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
I swapped a tube for a friend who had Specialized Turbo Cotton. The tire was astonishingly easy to reinstall. I don't think they make any claims as to durability. The KoolStop jack tool would be less expensive. Also, someone here was advocating trimming a section of hook off their carbon rim. Don't know how that turned out but you might search for the thread.
Old 11-29-21, 09:57 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts
put a fair bit of dish soap with water
rub the bubbles on both beads
that will make it a fair bit easier
Old 11-30-21, 09:18 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4345 Post(s)
Liked 2,993 Times in 1,849 Posts
This is a common problem. Unless there's somebody here who has your particular rims, I don't think there's a generic "easy tire" for tough carbon rims. Certain combinations are tougher than others.

I also have trouble with the GP5000s on my carbon rims (Light Bicycle). I manage, but it can be a struggle, particularly out on the road.
Thinner inner tubes (e.g., race light) help.
Old 11-30-21, 09:33 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 1,240 Times in 655 Posts
it is absolutely essential that you keep the beads in the center well of the rim. once the bead goes up on the "shelf" there is no way you will be able to mount the tire.

and give up on your "tire levers". Get a Kool Stop bead jack, best 12 bucks you'll ever spend.

/markp
Old 11-30-21, 11:07 AM
jerrysneck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you using talc (well corn starch is probably better) inside the tire? This makes all of the difference for me.
Old 11-30-21, 02:49 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
As said above; get a Kool Stop bead jack. It will make difficult tire mounting much easier and save your thumbs. https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.US6eZK...r=1.67&pid=1.7
Old 11-30-21, 08:22 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
I find that by starting just to the side of the stem and by pushing the tires in towards the center and up all the way around without releasing the upward pressure, that by the time I get nearly back around to the stem I can pull the tire off without tire levers. Works on every combination I've come across.
Old 11-30-21, 09:47 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
This is a common problem. Unless there's somebody here who has your particular rims, I don't think there's a generic "easy tire" for tough carbon rims. Certain combinations are tougher than others.

I also have trouble with the GP5000s on my carbon rims (Light Bicycle). I manage, but it can be a struggle, particularly out on the road.
Thinner inner tubes (e.g., race light) help.
I recently bought the Light Bicycle R45 25mm wide carbon wheelset. I tried to mount a GP5000 tan TDF 25mm tire on it. I couldn't even get the first side of the tire over the rim without using a tire lever. I wanted to save my fingers for getting the 2nd side of the tire mounted. Well, I gave up. If it's that hard to mount a tire at home I'm not going to risk having to change that tire on the road! I also couldn't mount the GP5000 tan 25mm tires on H Son plus TB14 box rims. I've read in this forum where people are recommending carrying a tire jack and some KY jelly in case you need to fix a flat on the road. I'm not gonna do that. I would rather find tires that are easier to fit on the rim.

Which GP5000 did you mount on the Light Bicycle rim? Light Bicycle rates the GP5000 25mm an 8 out of 10 for difficulty for my wheelset. The GP5000 28mm is rated a 1 out of 10 for mounting difficulty. I borrowed a friend's GP5000 28mm and it went on a whole lot easier, but my brakes wont clear 28mm tires on 25mm rims. The tan wall GP5000 TDF 25mm seem to be very difficult to mount on some rims and the black wall GP5000 25mm appear to be easier from articles I've read.

Here's Light Bicycle's tire difficulty chart for mounting tires on their rims: https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...th-Charts.html
Here's Schwalbe's chart for mounting their tires on a variety of rims: https://www.schwalbe.com/en/kompatibilitaet

Like you said, certain combinations are more difficult than others.
Likes For momoman:
Old 11-30-21, 10:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,903 Times in 2,539 Posts
I have been running Vittorias for years. No Continentals. I haven't used the Vittoria G2.0 tires yet (bought a bunch of the G+ that I love and they are taking their time wearing out). I simply have not seen the issues I hear about mounting Continentals.
Old 11-30-21, 11:02 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
I haven't been without a set (or more) of tire levers since the damn things were steel! If I really concentrate I can barely remember using the method described above to get a tire mounted without tools, but a set of Pedro's or Park Tool's tire levers ... I can't see the harm. What is the aversion some have to using tire levers? I actually linked a bead jack on Amazon to a poster in another thread having tire issues. It never occurred to me that they were trying to mount their tire bare handed! Tire levers are half the cost of bead jacks but if you actually are using tire levers and still have no joy, then a bead jack is not backbreakingly expensive a fix. But, for the love of Dog, use 'something'. Bare hands are so uncool ...
Old 11-30-21, 11:40 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by momoman
I recently bought the Light Bicycle R45 25mm wide carbon wheelset. I tried to mount a GP5000 tan TDF 25mm tire on it. I couldn't even get the first side of the tire over the rim without using a tire lever. I wanted to save my fingers for getting the 2nd side of the tire mounted. Well, I gave up. If it's that hard to mount a tire at home I'm not going to risk having to change that tire on the road! I also couldn't mount the GP5000 tan 25mm tires on H Son plus TB14 box rims. I've read in this forum where people are recommending carrying a tire jack and some KY jelly in case you need to fix a flat on the road. I'm not gonna do that. I would rather find tires that are easier to fit on the rim.

Which GP5000 did you mount on the Light Bicycle rim? Light Bicycle rates the GP5000 25mm an 8 out of 10 for difficulty for my wheelset. The GP5000 28mm is rated a 1 out of 10 for mounting difficulty. I borrowed a friend's GP5000 28mm and it went on a whole lot easier, but my brakes wont clear 28mm tires on 25mm rims. The tan wall GP5000 TDF 25mm seem to be very difficult to mount on some rims and the black wall GP5000 25mm appear to be easier from articles I've read.

Here's Light Bicycle's tire difficulty chart for mounting tires on their rims: https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...th-Charts.html
Here's Schwalbe's chart for mounting their tires on a variety of rims: https://www.schwalbe.com/en/kompatibilitaet

Light Bicycle R55 rims (25 mm outer width) with 25 mm GP5000 clinchers. yeah, they are tough to mount, but I've always managed, including on the road.
I'm just in love with how they roll, so I deal with the hassle.
Old 11-30-21, 11:41 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by momoman

Light Bicycle R55 rims (25 mm outer width) with 25 mm GP5000 clinchers. yeah, they are tough to mount, but I've always managed, including on the road.
I'm just in love with how they roll, so I deal with the hassle.

It's interesting that the 28 mm tires are supposed to be so much easier. It's a thought....
Old 12-01-21, 04:48 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Kool Stop tire bead jack and windex. Just enough leverage from the jack, and just enough lube from the window cleaner. I've never had a problem after resorting to this method.
Old 12-01-21, 04:59 PM
MikeEckhaus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Update on my problem. Ditching the thick Velox rim tape and putting on some nice slippery tubeless tape helped - yes still running tubes, just taking advantage of the tape. I did get a tire jack, and it makes mounting at home easy, but not sure I'm going to bring it on a ride. I noticed that for some reason, tires go on the front wheel easier than on the rear. On the front, even with a stiff, new tire, I needed just a bit of persuading with a tire lever to mount. On the rear, using an older "pre-stretched" tire, I still needed the tire jack and a bit of work. Supposed to be the same profile, but maybe manufacturing differences have an effect. In any case, changing the rim tape had a big effect. It's still really hard to get a tire to de-bead when dismounting, they want to stick in the grooves. I think I will still experiment with some different tires to see which ones agree with these wheels. Hoping to borrow some to limit the investment, I'll ask my friends.
Likes For MikeEckhaus:
Old 12-01-21, 11:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Another vote for the Kool Stop bead jack. And carry it with you on rides. I tucked mine into my jersey pocket or bungeed it to the saddle bag.

The Conti Ultra Sport II tires may be the best bargain in bicycle tires, but almost impossible to mount without a bead jack. Before getting the Kool Stop I tried using my plastic tire levers with rounded edges and still managed to nick the tube, creating another puncture to be patched.

However after a couple of years riding Conti Ultra Sport II's I retired those tires to trainer duty (they're tough enough to use the same tires on a trainer and outdoor rides, which is how I used my 1980s steel road bike for a couple of years). Now I use Conti GP Classic skinwalls, or Soma Supple Vitesse skinwalls, both of which I can mount with just my aging arthritic hands. Excellent tires and values, both.

And ditto the thinner rim tape, as you discovered. I like Velox and other cloth tape but it's often too thick for snug fitting tubes and tires, especially when I try to shoehorn 700x25 tires/tubes into old school skinny rims meant for 700x18 to 700x21 tires.
Old 12-02-21, 07:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
of course there's an app for that. oh I mean a product

both at home & in my bag I havethe pump & co2 inflator stay with the bike & bag

here's a technique for using the toe straps. it def. helps me