Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Ebisu w/ old parts

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New Ebisu w/ old parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 03:18 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Good to hear from you again Neal. As always, a fine build! My guess that this one is a "keeper"?
My sense, Brian, is that this one is such a keeper that a bunch of others in the fleet will be goers.

Neal
Old 11-11-09, 04:00 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
So you say it climbs sharply, even with those long chainstays? They look at least 44cm? Do you attribute that to the wheels/tires or frame set? Or to the mystery of 'planing'?
Old 11-11-09, 04:17 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
So you say it climbs sharply, even with those long chainstays? They look at least 44cm? Do you attribute that to the wheels/tires or frame set? Or to the mystery of 'planing'?
Hey, how about the engine as a variable in that climbing equation!

The chainstays measure a bit over 43cm. I think the relative light weight of the whole bike (~26 lbs), standard-sized tubing (thus some flex to induce the mystery of planing), and low Q with that crankset add up to a sharp climber for me. Probably those tires help, too.

Neal
Old 11-11-09, 05:13 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Hey, how about the engine as a variable in that climbing equation!

The chainstays measure a bit over 43cm. I think the relative light weight of the whole bike (~26 lbs), standard-sized tubing (thus some flex to induce the mystery of planing), and low Q with that crankset add up to a sharp climber for me. Probably those tires help, too.
I apologize for discounting your legs, Neal! 26 lbs is pretty good.

Apparently Kaisei is the direct descendant of Ishiwata. I'd be curious which tube set they built it with.
Old 11-11-09, 05:31 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
I apologize for discounting your legs, Neal! 26 lbs is pretty good.

Apparently Kaisei is the direct descendant of Ishiwata. I'd be curious which tube set they built it with.
Yea, I've ridden with Neal, not for the faint of heart when you're trying to keep up.

Scott
Old 11-14-09, 08:58 AM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neal, I took a moment to look at your gallery photos, and was more than a little surprised that the seat tube hadn't been flex-honed clean of paint, and that the BB hadn't been chased and faced by the builder or Jitensha. Was that an option, or something that got overlooked?

Pete
Old 11-14-09, 09:00 AM
nlerner

Originally Posted by mudboy
Neal, I took a moment to look at your gallery photos, and was more than a little surprised that the seat tube hadn't been flex-honed clean of paint, and that the BB hadn't been chased and faced by the builder or Jitensha. Was that an option, or something that got overlooked?

Pete
Pete, the seatpost had no problem sliding in nor did the BB show a problem being installed, so I'm not sure how dire the need was.

Neal
Old 07-22-20, 04:56 PM
Soup_Please

Bikes: '58 Paramount Track; '69 Lejeune; 2014 MAP S&P Project; 2018 Ritchey Road Breakaway; 2021 Ritchey Outback; 2022 Gilmour

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 10 Posts
Really great bike Neal. As this thread is over 10 years old now, I wondered if you still have it? An Ebisu is on the very short list of frames I've always wanted, but have never quite managed to snag. The Jitensha website is still up, but the builds in their gallery all seem pretty dated now. Anyone ordered an Ebisu lately?
Old 07-22-20, 05:14 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Soup_Please
Really great bike Neal. As this thread is over 10 years old now, I wondered if you still have it? An Ebisu is on the very short list of frames I've always wanted, but have never quite managed to snag. The Jitensha website is still up, but the builds in their gallery all seem pretty dated now. Anyone ordered an Ebisu lately?
I'm curious about all of these questions as well!
Old 07-22-20, 05:20 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts
I have seen a few on the paceline forums that seem somewhat more recent. Might want to look around there?

I recently bought a taillight from Jitensha Studios, so I can attest they are answering emails and phone calls and shipping out.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ighlight=Ebisu

Theh sure are pretty bikes! I saw my first in the wild Ebisu recently in Sacramento. The owner had taken off the fenders and put some pretty wide all-road tires. Looked like a fun bike.
Old 07-22-20, 06:20 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
About 2 years ago I had written and asked for information- Mr. Hiroshi was in Japan, I think it was his daughter that I emailed with- by the time he'd gotten back from Japan my fortunes had changed and a custom frame was, again, out of my league.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-22-20, 07:04 PM
nlerner

Scott, I sold the Ebisu a couple of years ago though Vonruden has one that gets a lot of miles (and I sold Jason that handlebar bag to go with his bike). I really wished I had liked the Ebisu more, but it always felt kind of heavy and slow, even with one build that was quite lightweight. It also had a fairly short top tube, which is what I needed at the time for a chronic neck problem, but then over the next couple of years, I preferred to be more stretchEd out. In its last iteration, I was using it as my primary commuter, but once gugie did his thing to my ‘71 Raleigh Int’l, the Ebisu was redundant, so I sold it. Oddly enough, it got damaged in shipping (bars got pressed in against the down tube, leaving a sizable dent), but BikeFlights settled my claim just about immediately, so the buyer ended up with a free-but-damaged frame that I believe he had repaired and repainted.
Old 07-22-20, 07:10 PM
polymorphself 

Oddly enough, it got damaged in shipping (bars got pressed in against the down tube, leaving a sizable dent), but BikeFlights settled my claim just about immediately, so the buyer ended up with a free-but-damaged frame that I believe he had repaired and repainted.
Nice to know bikeflights would be easy to work with in such situations.
Old 07-22-20, 07:13 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Nice to know bikeflights would be easy to work with in such situations.
Yeah, except now I use Shipbikes.com; when BikeFlights switched from FedEx to UPS as their shipping partner, the prices went way up.
Old 07-22-20, 07:47 PM
polymorphself 

Yeah, except now I use Shipbikes.com; when BikeFlights switched from FedEx to UPS as their shipping partner, the prices went way up.
Huh! Good to know. I've used BF twice recently and it seemed reasonable but I'll try out the other one next time.
Old 07-22-20, 08:23 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Jitensha is still open and features Ebisus in their windows.
Old 07-22-20, 09:47 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by delicious
Jitensha is still open and features Ebisus in their windows.
Good to know it's still going. I haven't been to Berkeley in a couple years.

Shout out to Jitensha Studio. He was doing artsy rando C&V bikes way, way before anyone else, in California at least.
Likes For Salamandrine: